Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721514 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5490 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

Someone would still need to make some unambiguous job icons though...

Considering how compressed it needs to be, I do somewhat think the best path is to have very simple, abstract icons, though.  Like a yellow "v" in a green field to represent "grower", and then just having a legend you can punch up.  After all, it's not particularly obvious to see brown and think "farmer" or blue and think "craftsdwarf", but you learn it eventually.

Although maybe the swordslord needs more distinct chevrons from the background, now that I look at it, unzoomed...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:54:41 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: March 16, 2012, 03:21:04 am »

It might be worth simply going with simple icons colored the same as dwarves are in game, since most will be familiar with that already. Maybe have one symbol for not-legendary and another for legendary, but otherwise the individual professions are just defined by the colors.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:03 am »

Well, I managed to get job icons working (?), and all by myself, too! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The bottom icon is the current mood/status indicator, and the top one is the job indicator I added (placeholder art).  They all play nice at different scales and move down appropriately when the others are not present. 

This is the first time I've managed to try something out before Japa adds it in :P (proud of myself). 

Anyway, I am stuck trying to figure out dwarven helmets and veils at the moment, but once that's done I'll post a tentative version of the large clothed dwarf sprites somewhere. 

It is hard to make good helmets  :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:22:01 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:40 am »

doublepost
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:54:52 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: March 16, 2012, 03:34:20 pm »

It might be worth simply going with simple icons colored the same as dwarves are in game, since most will be familiar with that already. Maybe have one symbol for not-legendary and another for legendary, but otherwise the individual professions are just defined by the colors.

Well, the idea is that a few simple color-coded shapes can be used to signify the individual jobs, in much the same way that a graphic sheet can specify individual jobs. 

Except it would probably be easier to identify everything with simpler color field icons than trying to actually fit a mug of beer into a brewer token.  (So a brownish column with a dark background might better represent a brewer than trying to actually fit a mug of beer, but would give more information to the viewer than just stopping at "farmer".)

Oh, and since it looks like I have the right size (it looks like 12 pixels), I can just put these up here, if you wanted to use those badges I already put up.
Spoiler: Individual pieces .png (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: March 16, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »

The default status icons are 16x16

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »

Really, cropping that image that was put up, it says it's actually 14x14... Or was there just a border of transparency around it?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:50 pm »

theres a border of transparency, you can look at SSStatusIcons.png in the stonesense directory..
They don't completely fill the 16x16 box, but all of it should be available if you need some extra :P

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:04 am »

Well, here we are, I finally have enough dwarven clothing to show it off:
Spoiler: dwarves at market (click to show/hide)

I'm still missing turbans and veils, but I think I'll hold off on those (dwarves can't make them so they aren't top priority).  It also looks strange if a dwarf wears a hood and a helmet at the same time, but I don't really know how to fix that.  Otherwise, layering is working very well, and the sprites are scaling extremely well.  The metal armor pieces are all completely flat at the moment because I want to do the "shiny metal" effects all at once when I've got the stance-sprites and female-sprites and female-stance-sprites all working. 

Those shouldn't individually take as long as these have because I have a starting point to work from now. 

where is up?

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: March 17, 2012, 04:56:55 am »

I gotta say, I love Dwarf Fortress to bits but - being a very visual person - it's Stonesense that keeps me coming back. These clothed dwarves are an awesome addition.

EmilAFN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »

Who are the Devs for this mod/visualizer? and is it compatible for 34.02? (there's over 300 pages, It'll take ages to look though them all)
Pity you didn't look at the OP...

Sorry about that... read the post properly and Found a version :D Thanks :D Now... Let's find out how I can move up and down between the layers in stonesense...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: March 17, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »

page up/down, or mousewheel, or readme.txt

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: March 17, 2012, 10:44:56 pm »

Wow, caldfir.

That is some excellent work.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: March 18, 2012, 01:57:12 am »

Agreed! Also, there's something to be said for the 200x zoom in Stonesense, and I really do like the larger sprites. Anyway, I decided to throw together a basic style for some job icons. So far, I'm thinking color-coded backplates for the job family, with an icon that represents their specialty (if we can get that)

A different style of base icon, or perhaps just a lone colorized Weapon Icon, can be used to represent specific types of soldier.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: March 18, 2012, 02:00:20 am »

those look swanky, and yes, we can get the specialty.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 379