Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721524 times)

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5460 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:37 am »

Is there a Mac version planned?/any way to work this on a mac?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: March 09, 2012, 10:30:16 am »

Yeah, dual boot/virtual machine with a window, it's still on a mac, just not the OS...

When .Net 4 will have been "ported" to the unix world, you will be able to use it, but seeing the time it took for the 3.5, you might want at least a virtual machine for this.

I am not involved in the development, but I think making an unix version would be a huge amount of work, by rewriting in a different language or using a "compatible" framework version. Both are generally rewriting most of the program, and I personally would not want to attempt it, as it would mean two versions to support, add features to and debug, meaning two times the work load for any little thing.

Most users don't like/understand other systems, so it is a little harsh to say to use a windows os, but as far as my understanding of the problem goes, it is the fastest solution.

Sorry if it didn't really answer the question or if I missed something.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: March 09, 2012, 11:31:56 am »

Yeah, dual boot/virtual machine with a window, it's still on a mac, just not the OS...

When .Net 4 will have been "ported" to the unix world, you will be able to use it, but seeing the time it took for the 3.5, you might want at least a virtual machine for this.

I am not involved in the development, but I think making an unix version would be a huge amount of work, by rewriting in a different language or using a "compatible" framework version. Both are generally rewriting most of the program, and I personally would not want to attempt it, as it would mean two versions to support, add features to and debug, meaning two times the work load for any little thing.

Most users don't like/understand other systems, so it is a little harsh to say to use a windows os, but as far as my understanding of the problem goes, it is the fastest solution.

Sorry if it didn't really answer the question or if I missed something.

Yeah, you missed the fact that we don't use .net in any shape or form, all of our libs are cross platform, much of this is actively being developed on linux, and the only thing preventing a mac release is the lack of a mac developer.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

Um... I'm rather ignorant about it, but why do you need such a high zoom? I mean I prefer having an overview then see only 50 or so tiles.
I get where you're coming from, and I like stonesesnse's pixel-y look as well (I've made a few 32x32 sprite sheets myself if you check my sig).  There are no plans to remove that, and I'm going to be trying to set things up so that switching between the current 32x32 tiles and the 256x256 tiles I'm working on is simple (probably just change the name of one file) so that people can use the one they like best with little to no hassle. 

As for "why", well, we have all the information, and we have the ability to display it, so why not show off your squad of bronze-clad dwarves wielding silver warhammers?  As Japa said, it's for viewing what individual dwarves are wearing, because stonesense can do that now. You posted a while back that parts of stonesense are looking pretty cluttered right now, and that's an accurate observation.  If that detail is provided at a different scale, however, it should end up being less cluttered, since there won't be so many things of that detail level on the screen at once, and zooming out should smooth things to the point where the detail isn't visible, giving a much cleaner look at things.  The point is to show more detail, but make things less cluttered at the same time.   The zoom function (',' and '.') was added to try to give the best of both worlds - zoom in to see detail, zoom out to get an overview. 
where is up?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:00 pm »

Ah, OK. another question. Some of your png files are pretty big and detailed (256x256 is quite an overkill), and they are downscaled for no zoom. You observed, that downscaling works to a degree, but not as well as intended (for example eyes of those Dwarves disappear in lower levels of zoom). Would it be reasonable to provide multiple png files (32x32, 64x64 and so on) with identical layouts, and listed in xml file (so that appropriate file is selected, but code for recolouring parts of a picture is not repeated) ? This could look better on varying levels of zoom, and maybe could improve performance. There is also a possibility for displaying colour of eyes for close-ups, but not overview.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5465 on: March 10, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »

I'm not sure what causes this, but in the 34.05 release of dfhack, stonesense always crashes after using the mouse wheel for going down around 70 levels.

It's really annoying, as it also crashes the game alongside with the program, and I can't get to explore the area to set up my main staircase.

I basically use Stonesense for two things, one being finding a gap in the caves to have a 3x3 staircase all the way to the lava sea. The second is to see my forts after some above ground building have been made, to enjoy the 3D effect resulting from it.

I don't know why the crash occurs, as stderr.log only says "Invoking: ssense" on the last line, not quite the error log I was expecting.

I tried it on various worlds, both from personnal templates or from the basic generator, and I always have this crash.

I hope I could give more information, but I need to know where to look for it first.

NOTE: I am using masterwork mod, that adds quite a lot of underground stuff, so it might come from this, but I didn't have this problem previously, so I don't think it could be 100% from this.
Using masterwork raws, I can't get it to crash. Can you post a world/save where this realiably happens?

Canter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:19 pm »

"Stonesense Stop working" and crash after 1 or 2 minutes "Connecting to DF"

Lates version with updated Memory.xml.

Latest DF
Win 7 64

Some idea?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

Uploaded to
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5838
I hope this was the place where to upload it to.

I used the last 1.5.1 release of masterwork, so the stonesense version is also from this package.

I tested three times before uploading, and it always crashes shortly bellow the second cave.

For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5468 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:18 pm »

What does stonesense to modded creatures that have no graphics for stonesens assigned ?  I never used stonesense with my mod (netbook to slow) but of course I am interested in solving issues related to both.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15:18 pm »

Ive got a weird problem perhaps someone can help me. In previous stone sense version I could see multiple levels of a cave, but I cannot anymore and yes I am making sure that I can see multiple levels but it does not show me caves on multiple levels, can someone help me?

EDIT: Found a fix, just needed to press O, cheers!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: March 11, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »

meph : big purple questionmark, but making a simple creature entry is easy, takes a few minutes to copy a tileset sprite to the right size format and copy a few lines of XML

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: March 11, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »

The full map screenshot function is not working for me, it didn't work in the past either though, any tips?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:52 am »

The full map screenshot function is not working for me, it didn't work in the past either though, any tips?

Submit a code fix that enables it properly?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:31 am »

I thought the full map screenshot functionality was back in?  Could'ave sworn I've seen several floating around recently...
At last, she is done.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »

I've recently done one for somebody with the old .25 version.  The one that does the screenshot from the top of the map to the bottom freezes up (I don't have any debugging tools or experience to know why, but my guess is that it's memory related.)  But the one that does a full map screenshot from the current level works.

When I took a shot of a friend's map I set Ssense to load 70 z-levels of map by default (the height of the object I wanted a shot of.  Some people make some really badass towers) and positioned the in game cursor at the highest z level.  Ran ssense in software mode and hit ctrl-f5 and it worked.  My guess is that it can't handle too much at once and the 'from top of the map to the bottom' full map screenshot is just too much for it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 379