Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1722774 times)

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - Now 31.21 compatible
« Reply #5025 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I looks like a fantastic mod.  Without support, it will cease to work with Dwarf Fortress thanks to Toady's continual updates.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: June 02, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I looks like a fantastic mod.  Without support, it will cease to work with Dwarf Fortress thanks to Toady's continual updates.

Well it hardly matters until Toady puts in the support he technically said he will give eventually.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »

Well it's bound to still have a bit of life in it, it only needs DFHack offsets for most updates, people can add to the tilesets themselves, and even failing all that, the code is open source, so somebody could pick it up like Therapist.

Anyway sorry to hear that Japa, but life is more important.  Stonesense had a good run, even if somebody doesn't take the defibrillator to it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »

I might be able to make it work, but I need some kind of instructions for the program.  Slate 2.2 actually runs, but it informs me it is unable to locate the Dwarf Fortress.exe.  If I knew how to point the program to the executable, I might be able to get it to work.

There are just too many unknowns to troubleshoot, for instance:

1.) Is there a way to manually configure the program to tell it the location of Dwarf Fortress.exe, or does it autodetect it.  If it autodetects, how does it distinguish between multiple copies of dwarf fortress?  Are their limitations to its autodetection, such as working with multiple hard drives?
2.) Am I supposed to run stonesense before or after dwarf fortress?
3.) Should stonesense be installed in the same directory as dwarf fortress or its own directory?
4.) Does stonesense work with legacy windows, SDL windows or both? 
5.) Does stonesense work in fullscreen mode, windowed mode, or both?

I can't get the program to work if I have to mess with every one of these permutations each time I come up with an idea on how to correct the problem.  Instructions would help, A LOT.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:02 pm »

I might be able to make it work, but I need some kind of instructions for the program.  Slate 2.2 actually runs, but it informs me it is unable to locate the Dwarf Fortress.exe.  If I knew how to point the program to the executable, I might be able to get it to work.

There are just too many unknowns to troubleshoot, for instance:

1.) Is there a way to manually configure the program to tell it the location of Dwarf Fortress.exe, or does it autodetect it.  If it autodetects, how does it distinguish between multiple copies of dwarf fortress?  Are their limitations to its autodetection, such as working with multiple hard drives?
It'll randomly pick one running DF. And it doesn't have any idea where you are running DF from it just finds a running program in memory that matches DF.
After you have a fort loaded.
3.) Should stonesense be installed in the same directory as dwarf fortress or its own directory?
Doesn't matter in the slightest.
SDL only.
Either, really.
I can't get the program to work if I have to mess with every one of these permutations each time I come up with an idea on how to correct the problem.  Instructions would help, A LOT.
It's quite simple. Only the latest version of Stonesense will work with the latest version of DF, and even that requires you to insert an updated memory.xml, and you also need to install some visual studio runtimes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

Autodetect; the one currently running; it works just fine for me when I run stonesense off my desktop hard drive and DF off a 3TB external hard drive

Run DF first, load fort, stonesense after. That way it has something to autodetect

I've actually done it both ways over the many versions. Doesn't seem to matter.

I've had it work on XP, Vista, and 7. Beyond that, don't know.

I've only gotten it to work in windowed. It should work in fullscreen; I'm probably doing something wrong but don't care enough to fix it.

Meh, let me try to clear this up. There's an fundamental misunderstanding here. Basically, while you're pointed towards the link on the first page for offsets, no one tells you what on earth to do with them, because it's [erroneously] assumed you know. The answer is closer than it is too far....

Instructions for how to replace/update the DF HACK xml offsets in your machine:
You just right click on the link and "save file as."
Move the file from wherever you saved it to the stonesense file.
delete the old XML file (will be replaced with the new XML file

That's really all there is to installing it. Right click, save as, move file to stonesense and replace the old xml file (you will usually be prompted). In my machine the suggested file name is "MEMORY" and it will probably be in your machine too.

It's kinda funny that no one actually gave user step instructions to update the xml. I confess it took me a little bit to figure out with all my preoccupations.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:12:52 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I regard to number 4.), that is not the version of windows I have, those are the versions of the programs available for download.  Both SDL and legacy work on my Windows XP system, I was just wondering if you needed one or the other for the program to run.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:33 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I regard to number 4.), that is not the version of windows I have, those are the versions of the programs available for download.  Both SDL and legacy work on my Windows XP system, I was just wondering if you needed one or the other for the program to run.

Sure thing. Its amazing how often professionals take the little things for granted and assume everyone knows said little things.

Of course, I may have just screwed up the system that kept the thread on the first page of the modding form. People would routinely add new posts to the thread asking the exact same question you did. The steady stream of new posts would in turn make sure the stonesense thread was always on the first page and the vicious cycle would continue.

I may be a bastard for helping.... O no.... :P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: June 02, 2011, 10:31:33 pm »

Well I managed to get 2.2 to work with 31.16   Its too bad my current game is using 31.21.  I can get it to detect 31.21 by modifying the memory.xml by that produces visual c++ runtime errors.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5034 on: June 03, 2011, 04:43:56 am »

What the hell. I might just pick it up and keep it alive until a real maintainer/developer shows up.

Any objections?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:36 am »

What the hell. I might just pick it up and keep it alive until a real maintainer/developer shows up.

Any objections?

You rock Peterix; direct support from the maker of DF Hack himself can only help us.

Please don't quote me.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #5036 on: June 03, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »

No objections from us Peterix :) Japa and I are kinda busy these days, and I have more or less retired completely from the development part. I only do a little bit of management when it's needed.

You're currently set as "Committer" to the project, which means you have rights to do what you need to in the trunk and the branches. Is there anything else we can help you with right now?

Edit: You do have my private email right? if not just pm me or check the google code group, it should be on there :)

schplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:53 pm »

So I have most recent LNP 9.1 (with slate 2.3).  Stonesense working fine on one machine.  Set it up on a second machine (This one a Win 7 VM inside VirtualBox), DF / DT work fine.  Stonesense will flicker like it's trying to open for about 3-5 seconds, then come back with an APPCRASH in stonesense.exe with the trace back to allegro5.dll

Scoured around for an answer, and nothing.

Tried:

Turning image cache off/on, setting image cache size to 4k, 2k, 1k.  Setting the renderer to SOFTWARE.

stonesense.log yields nothing other than:

Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 5.0.0 r1

Any ideas of what to try next?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: June 03, 2011, 11:03:23 pm »

Yeah, allegro doesn't work in virtualbox.

Allegro being the graphics library that stonesense uses.

schplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »

Gah.

Alright, guess no stonesense at work =/, or I ditch virtualbox, and try out the OSX port of DT (which is the main functionality I'm going for anyways).  Thanks for the quick answer.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 379