Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719390 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4680 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »

Have you guys given any thoughts into ways of making this a passthrough interface? As in, display the position of DF's cursor (should one be up) on the map... and pass through any commands to DF itself.  It would make it 90% possible to play the game just from Stonesense.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: February 21, 2011, 04:10:24 pm »

^^^ This should be in some kind of FAQ.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #4682 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »

Here, have a relevant quote from page... 30-40 somewhere.(used to follow this thread dedicatedly when it was still young)

Now, on to more serious business.

In my mind (Jonas might say differently), this is first and foremost a low-requirement Visualization tool; without Tarn stating that he is okay with us taking Stonesense in the direction of a GUI, I'm not going to push for it.

Through our participation in the development process of Dwarf Fortress, we all start to feel a little sense of ownership of the game... we've suggested features, tested for bugs, designed mods, spread publicity, and ultimately supported Tarn in this monumental effort. We all need to remember, however, that this is still Tarn's project, not ours, and it's an unpaid project at that. No matter how excited we all get about Dwarf Fortress, it's not at all fair to push him to do something that he doesn't want done... and he has already voiced his apprehensions about 3rd party graphical interfaces, and how that would impact the project.

Judging by how several on-line communities are viewing this project, especially the folks who say "Wow, now I might try Dwarf Fortress now!" or "I think I could finally get my friends to try this!" one can see that there is definitly a demand for a more accessable interface. Heck, I've even had friends I know in person say that this would get them into the game way more. The problem is that, if players start to rely on such a 3rd-party interface, the team designing it would have to be as dedicated as Tarn with updates and new features, or such an interface would have to be officially adopted... and collaboration is something he has also expressed great reservations about, as this is his brainchild.

But yes, in the universe where we are given the go-ahead from Tarn, interpreting mouse and key input with Stonesense, and translating it to input for DF would probably be the way to go. I'd imagine that drop-down menus for Constructions (a simple point-and-click for designating mining, sizing bridges, laying out roads and walls, etc.) would be doable, though anything beyond that depends entirely on the degree to we can interface with the program itself.

For now, though, the thing that keeps us from even being able to consider a GUI is the wealth of graphical issues that still need ironing out. We need tile rotations, fixes for some of the graphical hiccups such as the "Escher Effect", and a -Lot- more tiles and sprites. For now, focus on that, and if we can eventually pitch a solid visual display and interface to Tarn, and prove that this is a dedicated project, maybe we'll see such a thing down the road.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

goodhamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: February 21, 2011, 08:41:19 pm »

Following Japa's instructions I was able to get this running with 38.19. However, I can see terrain and objects only; No creatures, animals or dwarves. Anyone got a fix for this? or is patience the best cure?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: February 21, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »

the DFhack gnomes are working as fast as they can.

goodhamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: February 21, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »

The who? I take it patience is key.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #4686 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:53 pm »

The who? I take it patience is key.
Short answer: Yes.

Only slightly longer answer: DFHack is the backend that actually talks with DF and is maintained separately from Stonesense itself. So when DF updates, DFHack has to update, then Stonesense gets the updates more or less for free.

You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:01 pm »

To make it simple: Toady releases DF.  DFHack grabs DF info.  Stonesense grabs DFHack info.  Each must be updated in line, and DFHack is a tad behind on this one.  So just sit back and wait a bit for full featured goodness.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: February 21, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »

regardless, I kinda half-broke stonesense, and am rebuilding it, so that takes time too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »

goodhamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: February 21, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »

Okay I see how it works now.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Also, even if you broke it sorta, I'm confident you'll fix this. Awesome mod/utility.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:50 pm »

To make it simple: Toady releases DF.  DFHack grabs DF info.  Stonesense grabs DFHack info.  Each must be updated in line, and DFHack is a tad behind on this one.  So just sit back and wait a bit for full featured goodness.
So just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
a tale of a faceless script
that started on a tiny thread
aboard some tiny chip...

?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4693 on: February 22, 2011, 12:50:28 am »

Heh, that's creepy. I hope the animation worked out?

In the meantime I managed to make 6 extra grasses, for the ones that are a bit more then just normal grass.
That would be cattail, white mountain heather, cloudberry, mountain avens, satin tail and (dropseed grass and needle grass sharing one sprite).

Mountains in particular will be very colourful to embark on.

I think I might give meadow sweet a seperate sprite as well.

It's strange though, all flower-grasses seem to be white, even though normal mountain heather and normal heather are pinkish. I wonder why toady went for this specifically.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: February 22, 2011, 04:15:12 am »

there was an issue with the xml file you made, with spriteindex being defines twice, making it not load. also, you added an extra sprite in the background that wasn't needed, otherwise, the animation worked good.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 379