Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719838 times)

Dark-Star

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4485 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »

Are there any plants for which Stonesense does not have graphics? I'm thinking of contributing to the DF community by trying out a little pixel art.

(Especially if there are food plants still needing art...just reading down the list of stuff on the Genesis wiki makes me hungry!)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: December 29, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »

plants in fields aren't supported.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4487 on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:49 am »

Well, there's always the mystery items/criters showing up next release...

18 different grasses, chickens, sheep, peafowl, rhinoceros and giraffe are a few of the confirmed things to show up.
Of course, it's unknown whether DFhack will be able to see all these things next release.

-thera, who has been pleased to learn that granite, diorite and gabbro are very much alike in RL and won't require more then a simple pallete swap :3
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:56 am »

also note that the color palette is incredibly easy to change if you don't find the colors to your liking.

so if you're making a set, you may want to change the colors of the materials to match what you have so that things made from those materials will look right.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4489 on: December 30, 2010, 01:24:59 pm »

true, thanks for reminding me.

It would be weird to have pinkish walls made from kaolinite and then red chairs made from the same stuff.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Casa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: December 30, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »

So I've tried using Stonesense on Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 on Windows Vista and it just sticks at 'connecting to DF' for about fifteen minutes, followed by some error message of which I can only see the edges, whereupon the name says: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library . The window itself is empty, so all I can do is press X, at which point the comp'll tell me 'Stonesense is no longer working', search for a solution, fail, and exit.
If I've missed the solution to my exact problem then my apologies. I figured it won't work because it only runs on versions .01 to .16, but I failed to find a trustworthy source for an earlier version of DF to run it with. Should I just wait for an update to Stonesense or is there a work-around? Preferably keeping my save file intact.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4491 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »

Did you update the memory xml?

The downloadable stonesense is only for .16 but if you update the memory xml with the one mentioned somewhere in the opening post, you should get something to work.(Though without critters and dwarves :s)

Casa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: December 30, 2010, 03:58:14 pm »

Hm. Think that should work then, stupid of me. Thanks.
Only one dumber thing now... I don't really know how to update this file.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4493 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »

paste the one in the main post over the one in the main folder of stonesense.

You can open both with notepad.

Casa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: December 30, 2010, 04:26:14 pm »

It functions, but like you said, no critters, dwarfs nor critterdwarfs, which is kind of a bummer. But at least I get to see my amateur fort isometrically now!
Many thanks.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 01, 2011, 05:40:09 am »

I just wonder if this will be compatible with .18 soon , im kinda lazy to change the version of my dwarf fortress
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:57:01 am by Qinetix »
Desu

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4496 on: January 01, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »

The compatibility depends on DFhack's compatibility, as that is what stonesense is build upon.

I myself am getting somewhere, having done all intrusive introvert stones by palleteswap, and managing to do mica, microcline, orthoclase and olivine by palleteswap aswell. Only the ramps are going to be troubling. :/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, variations is my most favorite tag. Even just two variations on one tile really helps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to define separate sprites for engravings, is it not suported yet?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: January 03, 2011, 12:47:09 am »

therahedwig: if you're looking for feedback, mine is that I think the tiles should have less contrast between dark and bright areas -- the lightness shouldn't vary as much within a tile.  The current tiles show a lot of detail, but with so many of them on the screen, it starts to look like visual noise, and it's harder to pick out creatures, buildings, etc.  They're supposed to be background, but they're just as attention-grabbing as the foreground.  Instead of dark specks, maybe try accentuating the shape of the large stones in the tile, or something.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 03, 2011, 01:11:18 am »

therahedwig: if you're looking for feedback, mine is that I think the tiles should have less contrast between dark and bright areas -- the lightness shouldn't vary as much within a tile.  The current tiles show a lot of detail, but with so many of them on the screen, it starts to look like visual noise, and it's harder to pick out creatures, buildings, etc.  They're supposed to be background, but they're just as attention-grabbing as the foreground.  Instead of dark specks, maybe try accentuating the shape of the large stones in the tile, or something.
Depending on what one uses Stonesense for, this philosophy may not necessarily hold - it can be used to view architecture as much as to perceive creatures, buildings, and etc. For the purpose of seeing such things, I would agree with you, but if therahediwg is looking to make structures and forms of the fortress itself more visually dominant, then the speckling isn't inherently problematic.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 03, 2011, 02:38:25 am »

Even if the intent is to see the architecture, too much contrast within a single element, and then repeating that element across the entire image, just makes noise and makes it hard to make out anything.

Which is the big reason people disliked the super bright grass, even if they didn't realize it.
~ T
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 379