Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719998 times)

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4185 on: October 10, 2010, 08:24:30 pm »

why would you replicate the exact same bad dwarf fortress interface in stonesense? if there are no enhancements done in the middle, it's useless*, and if there are, it's an helluvalot of work.

*you will also need to rotate stuff to give command behind slopes and walls such, so it's actually worse than the top down view.

So you don't need to view in one window then control in another.

Not to whip a dead horse, but this functionality has been discussed many times before (please read the earlier posts in this thread), and the outcome is always the same: Stonesence is a visualizer, not an alternative input module. Said functionality is not provided because:

1) This is the Great Toady's game, and he has stated that he is extremely reluctant to develop a game where he has to wait for other, unoffical, functions to "play catch up" to his designs, just because said design is "unplayable" or "extremely hard to understand" (note my emphasis) without those functions.

2) Stonesence devs do not want to piss the Great Toady off, which might likely cause the Great Toady to stop developing DF.

3) The Great Toady did NOT say he's not considering a better User GUI, merely that it is not as important an issue as other major game functionalities that he needs to look at.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:12 am »

In fact, I recall reading in the original stonesense thread that one of the goals was as an abstract interface. There is a selector graphic if you don't believe me. This seems to not be addressed in this thread however. I'm assuming that indirectly manipulating the current interface is difficult and so it hadn't been attempted as of yet. I would be dissapointed however if stonesense stayed as just a visualiser.. Maybe my friends/family would get into some dwarf fortress action if stonesense made the transition. I do get frustrated when I can't share my dwarf fortress experience with them. Solving the current interface is like solving a rubiks cube, easy to do once learned, but noone seems to have the patience to learn in the first place.

Hell, with a few adjustments to stonesense and the help of something like autohotkeys to pass keypresses from stonesense to dwarf fortress, it should be achievable right now.

Also, re:Raufgar on point #1:
This is taken out of context, what toady one actually meant was that he was unwilling to bring other people in to help with his code(interface or otherwise), a third party application would not interupt his programming or releases in any way. At worst, it would break compatability with said third party app.

As for third party apps putting him off programming his game, after all the third party support that has come and gone on these threads, I find this to be a baseless comment, The great toad would not stop his programming except maybe if tomorrow a commercial alternative popped up with everything he ever wanted/planned for dwarf fortress.

Sorry for the long winded post, but lastly, anything the stonesense devs release could only ever be a gift to Toady, not an insult. If I were toady and someone built me a graphical front end out of good intentions alone, I know I would feel damn flattered.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: October 11, 2010, 01:24:14 am »

Total DF noob here, joining in having read with great interest the LP's for Boatmurdered et al. Just wondering if anyone could help me re: Stonesense. Having a bit of a nightmare getting it to work. I've downloaded the dfhack.dll, replaced the memory.xml with the latest version and all that, DF itself works fine, but anytime I try to run Stonesense it simply displays the connecting screen for a long while before a Microsoft runtime error comes up and the whole thing has to close.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Recently came back to DF, with a fresh download of the latest version of everything* and I'm getting this same problem. Is anyone getting Stonesense to work with 31.16, or are we all waiting on a Stonesense update? If so, what's the latest DF version that does work with the current Stonesense?

*DF 31.16, Stonesense Slate 2.1, the dfhack.dll from 0.5.0.2, and the memory.xml linked in the first post, am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:37:17 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: October 11, 2010, 02:41:02 am »

the .2 dll crashes on my pc (windows 7)

I'm using stonesense 2.1 with the xml from 0.5.0.2. it doesn't show creatures and such, only the level. dunno if there are better combinations, I hear linux people are recompiling it so we may need a fresh windows build too.

Dub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49:57 am »

Any updates for DF 31.16 ?

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 13, 2010, 01:13:59 pm »

downloaded both runtimes, still getting 0x error

help D:
i like goats

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:23 pm »

Doesn't look like the latest DF version is supported yet.  The thread has more info, read through the last several pages.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
  • The root of all null pointer exceptions...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:46 pm »

I was messing with the code and I think I partially fixed it.... :D
Dasleah>   Snappleseed: if they threw up that's one hell of an orgasm

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4193 on: October 15, 2010, 02:01:02 am »

Hi guys :)

We're still having some issues with the MSVC build of Stonesense, the weird error some seems to be seeing.

I think for the next release we will try a mingw build or something like that, should work a lot better.

Honestly I have no idea what MSVC is up to....  :o

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 15, 2010, 05:11:40 am »

Hi guys :)

We're still having some issues with the MSVC build of Stonesense, the weird error some seems to be seeing.

I think for the next release we will try a mingw build or something like that, should work a lot better.

Honestly I have no idea what MSVC is up to....  :o

MSVC: Mwahahahaaa, they will never find out my plans!

SuperLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: October 17, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »

Odd, it worked for me when I used 31.16, but it didn't show any creature/dwarf sprites. When I downgraded to 31.12, it didn't connect at all. I even tried building from the SVN source and while it compiled fine, it crashed on start. Weird.

I'm going to keep trying versions, maybe 31.11 will work...

--SNIPPED FIRST TWO EDITS--

EDIT: I got it working!!! It's awesome, thanks so much for this great tool :D

I used this version of DF with a fresh install of stonesense, and creatures are even working.

My two cents on the remote control thing is that eventually there should be a version of stonesense that can place itself overtop the usual DF viewport. The menus could stay, and it'd be for immersion purposes only. Any keystrokes would be sent to the normal game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:48:13 pm by SuperLlama »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:56 am »

Odd, it worked for me when I used 31.16, but it didn't show any creature/dwarf sprites. When I downgraded to 31.12, it didn't connect at all. I even tried building from the SVN source and while it compiled fine, it crashed on start. Weird.

I'm going to keep trying versions, maybe 31.11 will work...

--SNIPPED FIRST TWO EDITS--

EDIT: I got it working!!! It's awesome, thanks so much for this great tool :D

I used this version of DF with a fresh install of stonesense, and creatures are even working.

My two cents on the remote control thing is that eventually there should be a version of stonesense that can place itself overtop the usual DF viewport. The menus could stay, and it'd be for immersion purposes only. Any keystrokes would be sent to the normal game.

Thanks for the feedback :) Our main focus right now is to try and make it more robust, so people won't have to go through any steps to get it running  8) But a remote control feature is something we're constantly evaluating.

Yakefa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: October 18, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »

How long did it take for the artists in order to create the sprites?

I'm a graphist myself, and I'd like to bring my contribution, I assume everything hasn't been done and the game is growing permanently (or so).

I'm not aware of this, but is there a thread gathering people working on the visuals, with a list of missing templates, incoming stuffs etc?
Thanks.

By the way, this remote control would be a useful (and awaited) step ahead for the community. This game offers so much possibilities, this is pretty exciting.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: October 18, 2010, 10:22:53 pm »

The art is an ongoing thing, and isn't finished.

you are always welcome to make your own artwork for stonesense, and there's even a place on the wiki to share it, but it needs to be in the same style as the existing stuff for it to be included in future releases.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: October 19, 2010, 03:28:53 am »

Yup, like Japa said; we'd love any help we could get Yakefa  :)
Neither of us developers are good with pixels, so we made the entire graphics system fully configurable. This means you can change all the Stonesense graphics as you wish or add new stuff.

In general you can draw whatever you feel is missing :)
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 379