Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720366 times)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3915 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

Any color, of course, is possible. Thanks for the input :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:04 am »

Spoiler: Goblins are FABULOUS! (click to show/hide)

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:35 am »

We're laying the finishing touches on the next release, Stonesense Slate 2.1, and for that occasion we decided to put up a new poll. What should we do about Obsidian.

We already have a custom tile for it, the blue one that you've been seeing for a long while, but there are some things with which it could be improved: It is only for walls and floors, and has no stair, fortification or ramp sprites. These are shown as normal stone, only shaded dark black. Also, some people have noted that they don't like the stylistic blue obsidian.

An alternative would be to drop the custom obsidian sprite, and just use the regular rock sprites, only shaded dark gray. This would be a simple and cheap fix.

Alternatively, we could possibly expand on the blueish style to include the missing sprites, OR we could redesign it and expand it to a more conservative black-shiny look. (Either of these options are time consuming, of course, and requires artists to actually do this)

The choice is yours

I'm definitely for the improved obsidian looks since I and probably a lot of other people also like to build things out of it and if it would look nicer than it now does it would be superb. Black and grey stone blocks are really boring as you could just use some random stone instead just as well if it's just for looks (what Stonesense in the end is). Something similar to the current bluish style, with maybe a hint towards more black would be definitely great in my opinion and expand that to everything obsidianish.

Star Guarded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bravemule
« Reply #3918 on: September 02, 2010, 10:30:02 am »

Spoiler: Goblins are FABULOUS! (click to show/hide)
Hahah. I was thinking a black-purple but you know that works even better! Just needs some pink highlights on the edges and you've got obsidian.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:46 am »

regardless, of the two, it's actually Slade that's more likely to be purple.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 02, 2010, 01:49:08 pm »

We're laying the finishing touches on the next release, Stonesense Slate 2.1, and for that occasion we decided to put up a new poll. What should we do about Obsidian.

We already have a custom tile for it, the blue one that you've been seeing for a long while, but there are some things with which it could be improved: It is only for walls and floors, and has no stair, fortification or ramp sprites. These are shown as normal stone, only shaded dark black. Also, some people have noted that they don't like the stylistic blue obsidian.

An alternative would be to drop the custom obsidian sprite, and just use the regular rock sprites, only shaded dark gray. This would be a simple and cheap fix.

Alternatively, we could possibly expand on the blueish style to include the missing sprites, OR we could redesign it and expand it to a more conservative black-shiny look. (Either of these options are time consuming, of course, and requires artists to actually do this)

The choice is yours

I voted for the redesign, I'd like to see it looking a conservative black-shiny... if you could make it so that it can be easily colored programatically so that other volcanic glass stone can reuse the tile it would be a bonus.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: September 02, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

voted, as many of us:
Same as many other stones, but shaded dark black
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: September 02, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »

As the person who scribbled that tile (It was supposed to work for any smoothed, lustrous foliate stone, like Marble) I'd vote to can it. The bright blue ribbon has always bugged me. At one point, I'd attempted to mute it a bit, but I was still not happy with it.

After doing research into volcanic glasses, I'd designed a new Natural Obsidian (sharing a model with Igneous Extrusive stone) which I'm much more happy with. I was going to save it for a big graphics patch, but if there's a demand for it, I'd share it, since it serves a special purpose.

It's got a bit more of an irregular, volcanic, drippy stone feel... and I think it captures the mood of Obsidian Towers and Deep Underground a bit better too. (Also, it would be rendered with dark edges in-game. I was too lazy to add them).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:37:39 pm by Solifuge »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: September 02, 2010, 02:27:01 pm »

I'd say keep it with the huge mega pack to make it extra special.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »

I have no idea what you were talking about. Save what for the huge mega pack, Japa?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 02, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »

I'd say keep it with the huge mega pack to make it extra special.

Yup, ultimate consolidation(of tile packs) + new version would be fine.
Tiletuning is just evolution, new base's required first.

btw, could someone advice: i have vb 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2010, and stonesense still is giving "MEMORY cannot be read" error at start.
dependancy check shows this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What to do now? xpsp3 with all updates and whole bunch of m$ libs for developers are installed(needed for entirely different things i am doing).
tf?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:22:36 pm by McBeer »
----------

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #3926 on: September 02, 2010, 02:48:59 pm »

I always disliked the weird ribbony look for obsidian in stonesense and I'd say use the black boringstone look for now. If someone makes a better set of tiles after that, it can be part of some future stonesense version.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: September 02, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »

Whelp, try as I might, I can't seem to get Stonesense to connect to DF.

I'm using DF 2010 (version 31.12), and after an initial failure and reading around some, I replaced Memory.xml with the one linked on the first page of this thread.

Using OpenGL as the renderer results in flashing between the Welcome screen and 'Connecting to DF...', all the other renderer options merely sit at 'Connecting to DF...'

Here's the contents of the logfile (from a single attempt, all the other entries are much the same):

'Anyone able to help?

Oh, right, and DF's running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

Haha that's the exact error/OS I'm using. Any cures for it besides waiting for the next release?
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »

Whelp, try as I might, I can't seem to get Stonesense to connect to DF.

I'm using DF 2010 (version 31.12), and after an initial failure and reading around some, I replaced Memory.xml with the one linked on the first page of this thread.

Using OpenGL as the renderer results in flashing between the Welcome screen and 'Connecting to DF...', all the other renderer options merely sit at 'Connecting to DF...'

Here's the contents of the logfile (from a single attempt, all the other entries are much the same):

'Anyone able to help?

Oh, right, and DF's running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

Haha that's the exact error/OS I'm using. Any cures for it besides waiting for the next release?

I have this exact problem on Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I tried grabbing the current as well as several branch versions of the memory.xml, tried running in XP compatibility mode, tried changing to use DirectX rather than OpenGL in the init. I double checked the memory offsets that I could find references for, and all were correct; and the MD5 of my DF exe matches correctly.
Still no go. I'll be watching for the next release.
Thanks for all the work on this, everyone - StoneSense is fantastic.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: September 02, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »

..i wonder, if you are trying to launch stonesense with "take ownership" option.
if not, it basically may not want to give access to that memory range.
just thought, i am using w7 only for gaming machine(not DF/work machine).
----------
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 379