Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721057 times)

teethering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2865 on: April 13, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »

I don't think it's impossible to abstract the game logic from the UI and the graphics and have a robust and backward/forward compatible API to separate the two sides and have them run in parallel streams with relatively painless integration on releases.  One would be fun for Toady to muck around with, another one would be delivered by people keen on tooling around with graphics and the UI.

The questions of effort, ownership etc etc are of course abound, but from a technical standpoint it can be done and is done on fairly regular basis in the industry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:15 pm »

^^^ Also it would force Toady to keep his interfaces separate from his logic, which would probably save him work in the long run even if there was no public API.

teethering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »

^^^ Also it would force Toady to keep his interfaces separate from his logic, which would probably save him work in the long run even if there was no public API.

Yep, decoupled interfaces between modules typically create a more streamlined design overall.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:42 am »

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and ask why the hell Stonesense, or any of its kind for that matter, have not yet included a "IF YOU LIKE THIS, PLEASE DONATE >HERE<" window on start up or shut down. Doesn't really mitigate any of the issues presented over the last few pages, but I really don't know why it hasn't been done. It takes 5 minutes to do.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: April 14, 2010, 04:01:11 am »

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and ask why the hell Stonesense, or any of its kind for that matter, have not yet included a "IF YOU LIKE THIS, PLEASE DONATE >HERE<" window on start up or shut down. Doesn't really mitigate any of the issues presented over the last few pages, but I really don't know why it hasn't been done. It takes 5 minutes to do.

Because, personally, I hate nag screens, and they don't work.  People donate to toady, most definitely they do.  There is no nag screen in dwarf fortress.  Yet he still eats. 

Nag screens in a community like this are a great way for people to not use your program.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:28 am »

i tried to compile project from trunk in VS C++ 2010

it runs, but fails to connect to DF 31.02 or .03

what I am doing wrong?
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2871 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:46 am »

Alright, feedback time!

@gilrad: Yup, Dwarf Therapist is a great tool. And it's a good thing chmod is working so hard on it. I hope you're not insinuating that we're some how slacking off here at Stonesense though ;) You see, converting DT is simply just easier and less work, and hence faster. It only uses a small subset of the DF information, stuff that is work related. Stonesense uses all that, and twenty times more. So it takes way longer to find all the info back, but we'll get there :) btw, praise Petrix and Japa, they're doing all the heavy lifting these days.

@DJDD: The thought of adding a "Donate" screen to Stonesense has of course crossed my mind. But in the end two things made us decide against it: 1) It's supposed to be our gift to you, free and open, no strings attached. 2) What would we do with the money? Our 4 main devs live in India, Australia, Norway and the US so a pizza party would require some heavy air-fair donations ;D

@Petr Ga: I don't think the trunk is compatible with .02 and .03 yet, although I might be wrong (I've been out flat with a heavy cold the last week).

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:39 am »

@DJDD: The thought of adding a "Donate" screen to Stonesense has of course crossed my mind. But in the end two things made us decide against it: 1) It's supposed to be our gift to you, free and open, no strings attached. 2) What would we do with the money? Our 4 main devs live in India, Australia, Norway and the US so a pizza party would require some heavy air-fair donations ;D

...though we could fund a pizza party for Toady. I'd not be averse to plugging a Donate To Toady link somewhere in the thread, or an HTML link in the folder

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:38 am »

i tried to compile project from trunk in VS C++ 2010

it runs, but fails to connect to DF 31.02 or .03

what I am doing wrong?

try again. it should work now.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: April 14, 2010, 10:22:10 am »

alas, not working.

after (re)build, it tries to run it from /Release, but it is in root (trunk)
after I start it manually, it end on "Connecting to DF"

anyway, are you planning to upgrade to visual studio 2010? now out of beta, of course still free
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 14, 2010, 10:46:11 am »

I'm happy with VS 2005.

make sure you open the stonesensesolution.sln that's in the root directory, no NOT use the batch files for making a solution from cmake. that doesn't work yet.

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 14, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »

Alright, feedback time!

@gilrad: Yup, Dwarf Therapist is a great tool. And it's a good thing chmod is working so hard on it. I hope you're not insinuating that we're some how slacking off here at Stonesense though ;) You see, converting DT is simply just easier and less work, and hence faster. It only uses a small subset of the DF information, stuff that is work related. Stonesense uses all that, and twenty times more. So it takes way longer to find all the info back, but we'll get there :) btw, praise Petrix and Japa, they're doing all the heavy lifting these days.

Of course not :) I just thought that DT would be a better example of 3rd-party apps that push Toady's non-intervention stance, as there are many DT users who refuse to play the latest build in earnest without it.

Who knows, though. Maybe someday Stonesense will include mouse-based designations. Especially with the fact that you have to go down 100 z-levels to hit lava, I can see that as becoming just as necessary as DT currently is.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 14, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Alright, feedback time!

Woah, back up there bud. I didn't mean donate to you - You're piggybacking off of Toady's work and as much as I respect and love the work you guys have done with Stonesense, you don't really deserve to make money off of it. No, I'm talking about a 'Donate to Toady' button. Somewhere. Anywhere. Don't like nag-screens? Fine, make it a 5 second long splash-screen with some text on it. Simple. Don't like that? Fine, chuck it in About. I don't care, I just think it should be somewhere in there.
Fact is, shitloads of people download DF and this and play with it without ever hitting the forums or the website a second time. I think a donate link on this app could do wonders. And the more money Toady gets the more it'll benefit the development of DF and thusly benefits us.

Hop to it!

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »

lol if they dont visit a second time they wont find this piece of software. and just because they're supporting somone elses (amazing) game, doesn't mean they don't deserve anything!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »

lol if they dont visit a second time they wont find this piece of software.

Stonesense got a great deal of attention and direct links from various sources.  It's definitely plausible that there are players who never opened bay12games.com in their browser.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 379