Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720867 times)

1-Down Shroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2730 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:30 am »

Oh, and you know when you mine out your fort and there are boulders that you cant build anything on, how do you get rid of them. :P
I will get you high.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:37 am »

Oh, and you know when you mine out your fort and there are boulders that you cant build anything on, how do you get rid of them. :P

The easiest way to remove stone created while mining is just mass dump them into a single tile garbage zone (i->g). This is also the most time consuming and labor intensive way since everyone will be hauling rocks through your fort. (Put your dump near your masonshops/craftshops to crank out rock blocks/rock crafts to make it more lucrative; just remember to unforbid the stones after dumping them(d->b->c). Or into the nearest magma pipe/bottomless pit if you so wish).

The quickest way is to edit the raws and make the rocks boil. Don't ask me how as I've never done it before and doing it wrong supposedly kills dwarves in the aftermath and has nasty side effects to your fort buildings.

If you're talking 'bout the naturally occurring ones outside smoothing them is the quickest way to removing them.

1-Down Shroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 23, 2010, 11:19:33 am »

K
I will get you high.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42:52 am »

I got an urge today, to try my hand at making a mountain tileset, bare in mind this relies entirely if jonas can make it so SS uses a random tile for rough stone walls/ramps/floors etc...

But i thought i'd chuck it out here for some CC anyway while i await a response:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First off, that looks awesome. However, it looks less like a natural stone formation and more like an ancient ruin. I think it's the obvious block nature of the components. Not the tile-aspect, the fact that the stone looks like it's a jumble of rocks instead of generally solid rock with some loose stones.

Can stonesense differentiate between constructed rough rock walls and natural rough rock? If it can, I'd say go with a more solid-but-rough look for natural stone and that awesome blocky look for rough constructed stone.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:48 pm »

First off, that looks awesome. However, it looks less like a natural stone formation and more like an ancient ruin. I think it's the obvious block nature of the components. Not the tile-aspect, the fact that the stone looks like it's a jumble of rocks instead of generally solid rock with some loose stones.

And also the mossy bits.  DF actually handles moss in its own way ("spatters"), so moss probably shouldn't be an intrinsic part of those tiles.  I'm not sure if Beefmo was going for natural rough stone or constructed rough stone, but I agree with you that those tiles better represent constructed rough stone.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 23, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »

Thanks guys, that was the feedback i was hoping for. There was something about the mockup that was appealing to me more than the detailed version and i think that was it. Its faces seem more... umm... solid.

These are meant to be natural stone walls etc. So after that kip im energised, so ill go start from the mock again and see if i can keep that feel.

I was aware of how DF handles moss coverings, but i felt they needed a little detail to make them more natural. Maybe thats not helping. I had this vision in my head of a propper moss covering (if it can be implimented) as an almost full covering of all the sky facing surfaces, ill try to whip one up while im working from the mock again.

Thanks again for the feedback!

EDIT:

Trying to get a "rockier" mock going. Softened the inner floor tile edges, got rid of alot if busy lined on the wall block faces (although it seems i added more in ><) tried using the bottoms of the floor tiles to create more jagged edges an upped the contrast a fair bit (although probably too much).

Might try introducing more curved edgs in the floor tiles to try and combat the constructed look.. hmmm.... *contemplates*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:59:34 pm by Beefmo »

1-Down Shroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 23, 2010, 08:19:39 pm »

What is the pink stuff on the ground in stonesense, and in the game, what is with the purple smoke that appears, multiplies, then dissapears around my food pile?
I will get you high.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 23, 2010, 08:43:55 pm »

That be miasma!

Think of it as nasty fart gas that rotting creatures/food/zombies give off. It gives your dwarves a bad thought for going through it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: March 23, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »

Beefmo, it's gorgeous, but seems to lie between natural and constructed. As a natural wall it seems to have a lot of square almost-bricks and almost-blocks slightly jutting out from it, which seem more constructed-y. I imagine there'd be more of a jaggedy-and-rough-but-not-shaped face. If you're looking to add texture, I'd say cracks and creases would work better than blocky chunks, possibly with somewhat-circular pebbles on the ground at the edge of the walls or something like that.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »

Sorry for hogging the thread ><

But I really appreciate all your thoughts on this.

This is working with the second mockup trying to get away from the constructed feel. Trying to smooth transitions and the harsh edges in the floor tiles. But fast post this must be!... for reasons unknown.

I'll edit in replies in a sec, but mostly i agree with all of you! :P

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:27 pm »

It looks great.  But a whole mountain side might look very busy with that amount of detail.  Maybe try it without the black outlines so it blends a little more?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 24, 2010, 12:42:27 am »

<image>

This is working with the second mockup trying to get away from the constructed feel. Trying to smooth transitions and the harsh edges in the floor tiles. But fast post this must be!... for reasons unknown.

It definitely looks smoother with the softer colours (I get that the last version was a rougher version but still). I still feel like what I circled below in red comes across as 'two separate stones stuck together' rather than 'one big sheer rock dug into,' whereas the bit circled in green has the latter effect. So I guess just lightening the internal outlines in some areas would help? The overall thing I think of mentally is that the rock face needs to be all one sheer face even if it is hastily dug; the separate-looking rocks are what's making it look out of place.

But please continue to hog the thread! :D We love your work. Not much else happening in here anyhow.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:41 am »

beefmo, I have good news for you:

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:23 am »