Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721078 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2655 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:34 am »

I know very well what a brook is and what it looks like in real life  ::)

It would just look like rocks sticking out of the water.  Simple.

Not if its being sliced through vertically, a view that Stone Sense frequently allows, it would then look that top layer of rocks is 'floating' on water. 

And I can assure you that both the top and bottom of a Brook are different from a regular River, Rivers use Tile Index 90 and 365 through 372 for their floors, Brooks use 381 for their top and 373 through 380 for the bottom portion.  So these can be distinguished from each other.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

KernelM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:00 am »

(also, it's astounding how difficult it is to find a picture of a brook on google image search.)

Ahem, yes. Don't do an image search of just "Brook" while at work just as your boss comes over to your desk... like I just did.  :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: March 10, 2010, 11:33:10 am »

I was at home, but I did the same looking for references for the water tile work.

I found it funny that an everyday natural feature found the world over just got supplanted by a single person's last name. The internet really is for pron.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: March 10, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »

~ T

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: March 10, 2010, 06:34:24 pm »

I know very well what a brook is and what it looks like in real life  ::)

It would just look like rocks sticking out of the water.  Simple.

Not if its being sliced through vertically, a view that Stone Sense frequently allows, it would then look that top layer of rocks is 'floating' on water. 

And I can assure you that both the top and bottom of a Brook are different from a regular River, Rivers use Tile Index 90 and 365 through 372 for their floors, Brooks use 381 for their top and 373 through 380 for the bottom portion.  So these can be distinguished from each other.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what a brook, I just thought we might've been miscommunicating :P Yeah, I know brooks would look weird when sliced, but that would only affect the bottom two edges of Stonesense's display, which would be acceptable imo. And yeah, I imagine brook -water tiles can be differentiated from regualr water tiles, but I figure enough people channel their brooks into some other body of water that to make brook-water look less like the 7/7 blocks it is would make connections to/from brooks look weird. Plus DF really does have a river mysteriously underneath its brooks, so I figure game-reality would take priority. Admittedly I'm sure others could think of some better idea for incorporating DF's world and RL into SS's brooks than I can.

Dukit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: March 10, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »

I don't know if someone has suggested this / if it would work but couldn't the brook tiles look something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Water flowing into it might look a little screwy though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »

^^^ That would be interesting if DF's brooks had naturally varying depths, but as it is you'd only see the "7 Deep" if you drained the brook, which would cause the apparent soil level to fluctuate wildly.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:03 am »

^^^ That would be interesting if DF's brooks had naturally varying depths, but as it is you'd only see the "7 Deep" if you drained the brook, which would cause the apparent soil level to fluctuate wildly.

Well, the soil in brooks would have to be a very, very fine glass powder, which of course (optically) disappears when in water.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: March 11, 2010, 02:59:08 am »

I think it was said that brooks have a different tile ID, that makes it possible to have a different sprite for them, right? I'm normally not a spritemaker, but I decided to try my hand at it..

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: March 11, 2010, 03:21:26 am »

That's roughly what I had in mind, I like the one on the left the most.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 11, 2010, 03:46:33 am »

The right one has some pretty dire dithering going on.  Left is okay, but the water looks kind of opaque/stony and doesn't match the style and vibrant color of Stonesense's existing water tiles.

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:11 am »

The right one has some pretty dire dithering going on.  Left is okay, but the water looks kind of opaque/stony and doesn't match the style and vibrant color of Stonesense's existing water tiles.
The one on the right was just using a pasted version of the water image; it was probably a bad idea in hindsight. Using the vibrancy suggestion along with a few more tweaks because I wasn't happy with it myself:

In case it's hard to tell, the second one is kinda transparent. Someone else could probably do a better job with the transparency (and these tiles in general), but there's my attempt at any rate.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 11, 2010, 10:33:04 am »

Just say, "hypothetically" I wanted to set up a wall tile to be one sprite if adjacent to 3 or 4 walls (not counting diagonally), and another otherwise. Is this possible for me to set up with current stonesense? or would this kind of functionality destablize the program?

Concerning the brook/stream; I like this one the best so far.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 11, 2010, 10:55:39 am »

The only trouble I have with that is how to show different water levels in the brook.  However in this case I don't think we are going to come across a good solution.

Probably the best bet would be a little abstraction.  Look like a full brook for water above 3/7 and an empty brook for water 2/7.  Probably would only look odd when a fortress is actively sourcing water from the brook or when it gets to the map edge.

Unless of course somebody wants to make custom sprites for all 7 depths of brook, which would end up looking pretty good probably, but may be more effort than it's worth.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:12 pm »

Unless of course somebody wants to make custom sprites for all 7 depths of brook, which would end up looking pretty good probably, but may be more effort than it's worth.
Not perfect, but it's a start.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 379