Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721106 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2640 on: March 08, 2010, 02:35:55 am »

The problem with that is you would see a uniform layer of soil ware the brook is if your viewing just that level ware as the game treats the brooks 'bottom' tiles like an aquifer, it will gush water thus it needs a different appearance.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:59 am »

I would dearly love to get rid of those last yellow boxes. My attempts at siege engines have been too sucky to even contemplate adding though. (Hmm. I think we still don't have directionality for buildings yet, but we could at least have a siege engine pointing some arbitrary direction)

Found the byte for directionality a while back, but never put it into dfhack, I can probably put it in at some point when I free up some time.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: March 08, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »

No! We must have multidirectional siege engines!

Just like that windmill!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: March 08, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »

While a multidirectional siege engine does sound incredibly dwarfy, especially if it shoots straight up and straight down too,  I would have to say that directional siege engines being represented in stonesense would be awesome.  I use them as decoration as much as anything, and the fact that no visualizers currently show them makes a little tear run down my cheek.   ...kinda like that American Indian in that one old no littering commercial.

As far as I know the only other building that is still waiting on a placeholder sprite is the alchemy workshop.   But really, does ANYONE build those?  Maybe in DF2010 once soap is useful for something.  Other than megaconstructions and nonfunctional 'showers' with soap grates I mean.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: March 08, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

The problem with that is you would see a uniform layer of soil ware the brook is if your viewing just that level ware as the game treats the brooks 'bottom' tiles like an aquifer, it will gush water thus it needs a different appearance.

I don't recall brooks ever being treated like aquifers. They constantly drain off one side of the map, hence why they never seem to get full, but they're just regular tiles otherwise.

Personally I think if you just make brook surface tiles opaque instead of translucent, you can leave them as-is and they'll appear regular from the surface. There may need to be a few differences between brooks over rock, soil, grass, whatever, but it should work.

As far as I know the only other building that is still waiting on a placeholder sprite is the alchemy workshop.   But really, does ANYONE build those?

Sometimes for the aesthetic. C'mon, dwarven mad scientists... >_>

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: March 08, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »

...kinda like that American Indian in that one old no littering commercial.
Psst, He was adopted.
I was going to scale up my work on Ballistas, but I realized that they wouldn't fit with the rest of Stonesense too well.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:50 am »

Brooks most emphatically do not behave like aquifers. They enter the map at one end and drain at the other end, just like rivers. The only difference, functionally, is that the TOP of a brook tile is a supporter, like a grate. Underneath, it's a normal tile, water flows normally, and you can even send dwarves through it if you drain the water fast enough. :D

And that supporting surface is also destroyable by dropping things on it. It's kinda weird.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: March 09, 2010, 04:25:51 am »

Brooks most emphatically do not behave like aquifers. They enter the map at one end and drain at the other end, just like rivers. The only difference, functionally, is that the TOP of a brook tile is a supporter, like a grate. Underneath, it's a normal tile, water flows normally, and you can even send dwarves through it if you drain the water fast enough. :D

And that supporting surface is also destroyable by dropping things on it. It's kinda weird.

It's a regular floor with one extra property: it behaves as a water tile for the purposes of waterwheels and wells (I think it is actually just "transparent"; if there is no water beneath the brook tile it won't work).

If you cause a cave-in the falling rock will collapse any floor that does not have a wall underneath it, whether it is a brook tile or not.

I'm not sure whether brook surface tiles trigger cave-ins, though it should be simple enough to test.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 09, 2010, 04:26:31 am »

There are some weird things if you collapse brooks.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: March 09, 2010, 11:33:13 pm »

It's a regular floor with one extra property: it behaves as a water tile for the purposes of waterwheels and wells (I think it is actually just "transparent"; if there is no water beneath the brook tile it won't work).

Last I recall -- and the wiki seems to support me, for whatever that's worth -- you couldn't use a brook tile for a waterwheel or well; you have to channel through the brook surface first.

This is why I was suggesting a distinct tile for the floor over the brook, since it seems to function as an actual barrier.

I should probably go play with it, to double-check, but I'm already juggling quite a bit tonight.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Last I recall -- and the wiki seems to support me, for whatever that's worth -- you couldn't use a brook tile for a waterwheel or well; you have to channel through the brook surface first.

This is why I was suggesting a distinct tile for the floor over the brook, since it seems to function as an actual barrier.

I should probably go play with it, to double-check, but I'm already juggling quite a bit tonight.

No, I believe you're correct. An actual tile for brook surfaces would be appropriate, then, although there would still have to be visible water underneath due to DF's weird brooks.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 09, 2010, 11:42:41 pm »

No, I believe you're correct. An actual tile for brook surfaces would be appropriate, then, although there would still have to be visible water underneath due to DF's weird brooks.

Yeah, all that should be needed is a transparent floor tile (mostly empty except for a few rocks/pebbles/etc.) drawn on top of the water.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: March 10, 2010, 04:39:40 am »

That would look weird though to see a kind of 'covered' water, also when you DO channel out the Brook their will be no change in the lower water section only a removal of the top.  If theirs been a change mechanically their should be a change graphically as well, thus their should be some kind of watery-pebbly tile to go under the top pebbles and allow the top and tile of the brook to match.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: March 10, 2010, 04:54:40 am »

That would look weird though to see a kind of 'covered' water

It would just look like rocks sticking out of the water.  Simple.

also when you DO channel out the Brook their will be no change in the lower water section only a removal of the top.

That's all that happens in the game too, as far as I can tell.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 10, 2010, 05:24:16 am »

Impaler, we're talking about brooks as they are in real life, not how DF treats them in the game. In-game, they're just rivers without creatures and some kind of weird grate/floor surface above them. However, in real life, they're very shallow and tend to weave in and around rocks, and at their most deep can generally be waded through. DF will still show a bunch of water underneath our brook 'surface' tile, but it's the best we can do with how the game treats them. For a visual, what Footkerchief et al are talking about is something like this, though probably a little thinner:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(also, it's astounding how difficult it is to find a picture of a brook on google image search.)
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 379