Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721085 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2625 on: March 06, 2010, 02:33:53 am »

FKC: Yes. I'm disputing his "no way I would have known it was there".

...In retrospect, that's a 'would' not a 'could'.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 06, 2010, 03:38:15 am »

I'll be honest Stonesense is how I found my elusive Magma pipe on my fortress I recently had to reclaim,  I think I used finder but it was below the surface and I never found it, I did see "Fire Imp" and "Magma Man" in the wild animals but I don't think it lets you zoom to them.

(I had built on the complete opposite side of the map from where the magma was.)

Eitherway I still love Stonesense, it's fun to use in Adventure mode.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 06, 2010, 04:18:48 am »

I assume DFHack has access to the "hidden" flag for tiles? I don't recall if Visual Fortress uses DFHack, but I know it has functionality to not show hidden tiles. In any case, it's a pretty simple thing to add if you know where it's stored in memory. Although it does leave a hanging question about implementation: what goes in the blank spaces?

I suggest we follow DF's own route and have simple black squares. In terms of memory usage, a single bit colour depth is the best you can get pretty much, and you would only have to store one square in total.

A number of questions on implementation (I guess I could search the source for myself and find out, but anyway - feel free to ignore the wall of text): what level of caching does Stonesense use? As I see it, you can either cache all images necessary to render the displayed area of the fortress, or you can cache the images for the entire fortress - the latter has a bigger memory footprint but makes switching between levels and scrolling around faster. Does Stonesense cache only the images it needs, or does it cache (say) all the images relating to a certain material? Are all displayed tiles cached, or only those that recur many times in the one display? What about tiles that are within the area to be displayed but occluded by other tiles?

Now it's probably too much to ask, but would it be possible in the future to force Stonesense to use a specific level of caching? So if somebody had severe memory constraints or, conversely, an overabundance of memory, they could instruct Stonesense to cache more or fewer images? Obviously not important right now, but perhaps something to think about.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2628 on: March 06, 2010, 04:41:53 am »

I assume DFHack has access to the "hidden" flag for tiles? [...]

Indeed it has, its that bit thats set in the reveal tool/example.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: March 06, 2010, 03:28:43 pm »

Also, for your viewing pleasure, I give you: WATER v3.0 - The Hydrating
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's broken up into floor tiles and a block tile now, and has been given different surface textures so that you can recognize when the camera is under water as opposed to at the surface.

Gorgeous. High fives all around for Solifuge.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:56 pm »

So, I hope i'm not sounding dumb here, but i've noticed that SS displays magma when there's no way I would have known it was there. This feels a little cheaty... is there any way to turn this off?
(i'm using the d18 compiled version that was linked in this thread a few pages back)
Going back and looking at the actual behaviour of an unrevealed HFS in stonesense, this is absolutely 100% a bug.

Thanks for pointing that out jugglervr

Edit: OK, now fixed on the trunk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:12:49 pm by kaypy »

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 06, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

It's broken up into floor tiles and a block tile now, and has been given different surface textures so that you can recognize when the camera is under water as opposed to at the surface.

Any chance of another texture that can distinguish shoals from normal water?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 06, 2010, 09:42:10 pm »

Shoals as in brook tiles?

NathanL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 06, 2010, 11:19:25 pm »

I've played DF on and off for a while.

I just tried stonesense and keep getting the error "Could not find DF process" every time I try and start it.

I start DF, load up my fortress, start up stonesense and at the title screen press F9 followed by the above error everytime. I've tried restarting both DF and stonesense and each time the same error.

My process running DF is "dwarfort.exe" is that correct? Any other ideas?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 06, 2010, 11:29:25 pm »

I've played DF on and off for a while.

I just tried stonesense and keep getting the error "Could not find DF process" every time I try and start it.

I start DF, load up my fortress, start up stonesense and at the title screen press F9 followed by the above error everytime. I've tried restarting both DF and stonesense and each time the same error.

My process running DF is "dwarfort.exe" is that correct? Any other ideas?

Chances are you are using a version that is not compatible with stonesense. It currently only supports 40d16

NathanL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 06, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »

That's it thanks. I'm running 40d18.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 07, 2010, 12:10:08 am »

That's it thanks. I'm running 40d18.
There is d18 support if you either compile your own version from the trunk or grab peterix's unofficial build from a few pages back

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:39 am »

Shoals as in brook tiles?

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. I don't know where I got shoals from. :D

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:39 am »

Given the way DF represents a Brook and the new system (very nice btw) I'd imagine the best representation method would be to have an opaque but clearly wet 'river stones' conglomerate kind of bottom piece with a standard water 'top' put on that.  You'd be able to see through the top to the opaque tile below and know its a brook and not a regular river and see the river stones directly when viewing that level.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 07, 2010, 04:51:41 pm »

Just throwing in the soil wall tile topped a watery floor would work fine, I think.
~ T
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 379