Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720004 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #840 on: November 13, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »

While I was setting up this test it occured to me, with the thick floors addition I'll have to tweak the gears assembly and vertical axle.  The floors are going to be 4 picels high if I recall the IRC meeting correctly so I should just have to add 4 pixels to the upper shaft and they should link correctly right?

I am digging the animated mechanical components! Also yes, we're adding 4 vertical pixels to each sprite. We may implement Mike Mayday's Oversized Sprite method too, and increase sprite size to 64x64, but mapping them based on the central 32x32 area.

Also, Kobold Redux:

In folklore, I've always seen Kobolds as little lizard-dogs with the proportions of toddlers. The sort of critter that you might mistake for a child in a dimly lit room.

I think these new kobolds are awesome. They look like they fit Toady's vision, though may I suggest that they have their hands poised in a kleptomaniac about-to-steal-narrow-goblin-clothing-from-outside-your-fort pose?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 14, 2009, 02:06:54 am »

I made this just for giggles, not to actually be used. Iso art is mindblowingly hard for me, but I'm just not used to it. Also I know if I was doing this for anything more than fun, some serious color adjusting would need to be done to keep the dwarf from mixing into the background. But I wanted to share regardless.

This is my first Isometric project, and I'm still getting the hang of doing sprites in this perspective. One thing that helped me with tiles was starting with simple 2-color textures, and learning how to make patterns that tile well. Once I got the hang of the basics, I redid most of the tiles in higher color (with a less eye-burning palette).

Anyway, I really do like your tiles! The style reminds me of Bahamut Lagoon, or Rudora no Hiho, both of which had some excellent pixel art. I wish you'd be more confident about your spritework, because you're making me look bad by comparison!

Okay, shrunk the dog and cat and added child versions, did finishing touches on the base Kobold and gave him a more sneaky pose, threw together models for Human Males and Females (I skinned the male one as a Swordmaster to provide an example), made the imp a bit more creepy, and added an homage to the ASCII graphics. See if you can spot it.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:09:37 am by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 14, 2009, 02:34:13 am »

Is there a list somewhere of all the sprites that have yet to be finished?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 14, 2009, 03:00:01 am »

Is there a list somewhere of all the sprites that have yet to be finished?

http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/wiki/SpriteList

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #844 on: November 14, 2009, 03:00:24 am »

Solifuge, those are amazing dude.

That baby cat, you really did a great job on it!

Also, I agree, we need a list. I don't know where to start. However with 1000+ items needed I don't envy the list maker either.
"Everyone in time has said, there comes a time to join the dead."

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #845 on: November 14, 2009, 03:43:42 am »

statue

statue

metal table

Trying to match the current style.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 14, 2009, 03:48:11 am »

I like the statures though they need the bases to be a few pixels thicker or to have no base at all, the tables look a bit like stone and could be ambiguous, not sure what the stippled square in the middle is supposed to be though perhaps a flat finish to the top would be better.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 14, 2009, 03:58:06 am »

Human High Priestess,

Going with a Greek/Roman flavor on these sprites. If anyone has suggestions for another historical culture with iconic dress styles, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm kinda tired of all the Eurocentricism in Fantasy art and literature... I was tempted to make all the humans dark-skinned and dress them in the manner of the Egyptians, but figured I'd get complaints... not to mention it doesn't really match with the raws as they are now.

Hyptosis, I love these! Love the corroded table too; that's a great little detail, and adds visual interest to the sprite. The statues might look nice with a thicker base, but it's a pretty negligible detail, especially since they look damned good!

@Impaler: The crosshatching in the middle is a mesh/grate, with a beveled edge.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:09:52 am by Solifuge »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 14, 2009, 04:52:26 am »

Solifuge, let me be the first to say that that puppy is the most perfect sprite I could imagine. The human warrior and priestess also look extremely good, and sufficiently tall that they won't be easily mistaken for dwarves.

The ascii homage is the face of the fire imp, right? If not, then its a little too simplistic.

Also, Hyptosis, those two statues are truly superb. I'm having a hard time picking which one I'd want in my sprite sheet, though I'm tending towards liking the dwarven stoutness of the first one.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 14, 2009, 04:53:41 am »

Going with a Greek/Roman flavor on these sprites. If anyone has suggestions for another historical culture with iconic dress styles, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm kinda tired of all the Eurocentricism in Fantasy art and literature...

Well, as long as there is cohesiveness in a tileset then you can go in any direction you want, in my opinion; for example, I haven't seen any depiction of elves yet but instead of the ye old "Tolkien"-style elves you could go towards a more Warhammer inspired look, or even your own style; seeing as the elves in DF are xenophobic tree huggers you could go with a militaristic approach to it, even tribalistic (ever read Terry Pratchett? the elves in his book are utter pricks who hunt and kill humans for fun). For example, say you give them Native American style clothing, hairstyle, weapon look and even the design of their elven retreats could be similar to a indian village, etc.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:09 am »

seeing as the elves in DF are xenophobic tree hugging cannibals
This would be more accurate. I'd vote for more feral look on elves, looking how they oppose to build any structures and to use any advanced tools and metals and use zerging hordes to attack other settlements.

After I watched a trailer for an upcoming "Avatar" movie, I think those creatures would describe DF elves nicely (apart from tails and big size). They live in a peace with nature, use bows, fight against "technology" which tries to conquer their natural habitat and have quite a feral look (god damn that chick is hot).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_JBMrrYw8
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 14, 2009, 09:00:24 am »

Human High Priestess,

Going with a Greek/Roman flavor on these sprites. If anyone has suggestions for another historical culture with iconic dress styles, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm kinda tired of all the Eurocentricism in Fantasy art and literature... I was tempted to make all the humans dark-skinned and dress them in the manner of the Egyptians, but figured I'd get complaints... not to mention it doesn't really match with the raws as they are now.

Hyptosis, I love these! Love the corroded table too; that's a great little detail, and adds visual interest to the sprite. The statues might look nice with a thicker base, but it's a pretty negligible detail, especially since they look damned good!

@Impaler: The crosshatching in the middle is a mesh/grate, with a beveled edge.

Oeeeh, does this mean that Stonesense will be able to differentiate between male/female and jobs?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #852 on: November 14, 2009, 09:15:47 am »

I don't post here a lot but this is truly a great program, works well and I am loving it so far.

One issue though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yup, that's a known issue with a3. It's been fixed for future releases :)

@pubby: Thanks for the cool statues :) A bit of abstract art there. As for the dirt floors under your doors: they're there because that's how it actually is in-game. you put the door up before you paved the room I would guess. Take the door down, pave the tile, and build the door again.

@Hyptosis: That style looks awesome, I especially like the water. you and Solifuge should sit down one day and work out a common theme, so we dont have overlapping work :D

Oeeeh, does this mean that Stonesense will be able to differentiate between male/female and jobs?
hehe
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:24:51 am by jonask84 »

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #853 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:32 am »

Yeah, it is a grate. The first statue was supposed to be stone, while the second marble, I'm not sure what default color of marble we're using in game though? I just assumed it was a light color, the second statue still needs a lot of work but I was getting tired. I'll make the bases larger.

Also I'm just drawing what is blank on the tileset page for now, unless someone has something the specifically needs attention.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:27:32 am by Hyptosis »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #854 on: November 14, 2009, 10:03:21 am »

I think kaypy just posted that a Still would be awesome. But that's gonna be a bit harder of course... Might be worth giving a swing :)
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 379