Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719924 times)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #795 on: November 13, 2009, 06:06:30 am »

where i can install/unzip this file?
i have tried but i have always this message: map not loaded....

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #796 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:15 am »

Hey guys, I'm just here to end a fruitless debate that's just clogging up the thread.

I would appreciate it if yall put a sock in it concerning the whole "Today should do this and that" debate. At lease move it to another thread, okay? It's filling up this thread with fruitless speculation and bickering, and nothing new is coming from it.

We have had a meeting regarding this internally, with the most central Stonesense devs, and we all agree on Stonesense's official stand on the matter. I will post said stand in the OP. Until then the short and sweet of it: We're not asking Toady to do _anything_. DF is his creation, Stonesense is ours, we respect that. As a game developer myself, I perfectly understand his skepticism to getting tied down to a UI.

Hope that is the last we hear of the matter, right? ;)

And to everyone else, we got some really neat features going, so next release is gonna be fun :)

Cheers!

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:50 am »

@Soli: For the wood support, maybe do a frame design, like scaffolding? I envision wooden supports as a wire-frame kind of thing, where dwarves can walk through them. I like the pillar for the stone version though, and kudos on adding depth to the floors :)

EDIT: I did some thinking and more fiddling, and looking over my kobolds I tihnk they were too big compared to dwarves. I also gave the dwarf a more peasant-like cap.

vs the old:

vs the old: 

Was just a quick edit, it looks out of proportion with itself (tunic looks like a weird potbelly thing going on); so this is just to show the height change and general thinning.

EDIT #2: I think this will do:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:05:51 am by tehmarken »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:38 am »

Man, I wish had time to contribute to this.  This is all very beautifully executed, and makes me desire the day when the game looks like this.

Argh! too much school work, otherwise I'd isometrify my dwarf graphics set for this.

As a complete Rock Geek, this is something I've been mulling over for a while to try and find a way to do it right. I took some of your suggested textures, as well as a set of others, and added in a few others. Each category will have a generic greyscale stone texture, which we can apply colors to in order to create all the different stone types. Eventually, I'd like to have multiple textures of each category, which will be cycled through to create more natural-looking walls.

1. Flakey Sedimentary (Shale, Mica)
2. Grainy Sedimentary (Sandstone, Siltstone)
3. Clear Crystaline (Ruby, Rock Salt)
4. Opaque Crystaline (Obsidian, Bituminous Coal)
6. Smooth Igneous (Basalt, Rhyolite)
7. Coarse Igneous (Granite, Diorite)
7. Lusterous Metamorphic (Marble, Quartzite)
8. Foliated Metamorphic (Gneiss, Phyllite)
9. Nodular (Bauxite, Conglomerate)
10. Metalic (Hematite, Tetrahedrite)

I will comment that this is almost exactly the list Dwarfletter ended up with for its stone/soil tiles, though some are double duty.  The nodular tile in particular ALWAYS makes good ore walls, for any ores that are or appear to be native metal, like gold, copper, and hematite.  Most of the other metal ores are colorful oxides and crystals.   It works very well at giving a colorful and detailed visual experience.

Saturday I MIGHT have some time to take a crack at some of these, if no one minds.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 13, 2009, 11:27:23 am »

Would it be possible to update the googlecode homepage for the project to indicate what the currently available version for download has, in terms of tiles?
I'm seeing great work here on this thread but not so sure what is or isn't integrated in the v3 over at the site.

We're in the process of trying to find a better spot for the wiki, once we get that going I think we should do something like what you're suggesting.

BasiC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 13, 2009, 11:36:26 am »

Hi,I am new.
Is there a chance it will be possible to actually play with this and not just be able to view your fortress?
If so any estimation on when it will be possible?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:38:48 am by BasiC »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 13, 2009, 11:38:45 am »

Hi,I am new.
Is there a chance it will be possible to actually play with this and not just be able to view your fortress with?

Hey man, welcome to the forums :)
There is little chance of that. However, some input is not unthinkable.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 13, 2009, 01:25:55 pm »

vs the old: 

can you make the kobold look just a little bit mean? right now his face looks so cute and innocent i could never see myself killing one of those :D
maybe a sharp tooth in the corner of his mouth ..or an angry brow perhaps.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #803 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:33 pm »

dyze: cute? Cute! Cute is a bonus because dwarves can make those fuzzy slippers with the animal faces out of them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:36 pm »

I much prefer the greyish (brownish blue) Kobold over the brown one.  I know that picture from Kobold Camp has a brownish Kobold, but I'm not sure how you can even imply "mammalo-reptilian" if the thing is coated in fur.  Also, the greyish implies to me that Kobolds are natural cave-dwellers, which I like.  Warm-blooded, sentient lizard seems more accurate than a cold-blooded teddy bear.  The doggy kobolds are funny, but they seem more conducive to DF's animal people.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 13, 2009, 02:02:48 pm »

@Soli: For the wood support, maybe do a frame design, like scaffolding? I envision wooden supports as a wire-frame kind of thing, where dwarves can walk through them. I like the pillar for the stone version though, and kudos on adding depth to the floors :)

EDIT: I did some thinking and more fiddling, and looking over my kobolds I tihnk they were too big compared to dwarves. I also gave the dwarf a more peasant-like cap.

vs the old:

vs the old: 

Was just a quick edit, it looks out of proportion with itself (tunic looks like a weird potbelly thing going on); so this is just to show the height change and general thinning.

EDIT #2: I think this will do:

omg i love the cutebolds

but now i can't kill them without feeling bad :(
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 13, 2009, 02:18:53 pm »

Part of me makes me wish this was what DF looked like. It would be one less problem with getting my friends to play it.

As for the Kobolds, Their faces are a bit square, but I can't think of many ways to give them a rounder snout. I support the Kobold Change, except weren't they supposed to have grey fur? They are generally drawn like Donkey Men.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:21:41 pm by Neonivek »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 13, 2009, 02:20:54 pm »

I like the old cap better but the new kobolds are looking pretty good.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 13, 2009, 02:31:08 pm »

I'd go with the thin kobold but use the old gray skin/brown loincloth colors.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:25 pm »

The "Cutebolds" are in an odd situation. Even though they are purely a fan creation they are starting to be considered official by quite a few people.

I don't mind them, even though they are exactly how I would picture Donkey men to look as well.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 379