Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719900 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #765 on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:47 am »

regarding scaling, remember what toady said about the size of a tile:

1: a tile is large enough to fit 1000 dragons, provided 999 are lying down.

2: a tile is too small for two dwarves to stand in.

Yes but those are quirks of the way the game is made, not indications of actual relative size.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 12, 2009, 08:23:08 am »

For the stone fall trap, what about just a shadow on the ground, with maybe a tripwire or something, that turns into a pile of rocks when activated?

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:27 am »

Fiddled around with things some more, and figuring out how to get some uniform shading across colours. Top left kobold is a bit tanner/browner, and the bottom one is using a blue scale. I'm liking a more brown/tan fur colour, but it will make differentiating leather a bit harder. Perhaps I will add more red to the kobold fur colour, and leather can be a paler tan.

I would very much like objects such as leather, wood, metal, and cloth to be uniform colouring over everybodies artwork, so perhaps we can work out solid palettes over the next few days?

7˘ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: November 12, 2009, 10:14:27 am »

Horrors! [REDACTED] in the [REDACTED] Part II : & Harder : Director's Cut

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think next I'll revise all the linkages so they animate and maybe tweak em a bit.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:43 am »

Making traps is harder than I thought.
first doodles:

It would work fine if I would have enough space. I guess I'll make a button in the floor and that would be the best solution with so limited space.

Any suggestions on how to fit a cage in the floor?

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #770 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:56 pm »

Making traps is harder than I thought.
first doodles:

It would work fine if I would have enough space. I guess I'll make a button in the floor and that would be the best solution with so limited space.

Any suggestions on how to fit a cage in the floor?

I would just make a faint square on the floor, and when it is activated, the square quickly rises and it has vertical bars beneath it, and a lid slams shut. If that makes sense. Isn't an easy thing to describe. XD
"Everyone in time has said, there comes a time to join the dead."

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:15 pm »

I wanted to try some art for my own stonesense, but what does a gremlin look like? All I can find are the ones from that awesome movie. (Keep them away from water!)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 12, 2009, 12:52:57 pm »

Wow, holy crappers this is going fast.

If only Toady released code for the UI, so Stonesese could be the official GUI.  Think about what you could do with real code, instead of hex-editing!

Everyone should e-mail Toady and bother him about it.  Hehe.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24:26 pm »

Wow, holy crappers this is going fast.

If only Toady released code for the UI, so Stonesese could be the official GUI.  Think about what you could do with real code, instead of hex-editing!

Everyone should e-mail Toady and bother him about it.  Hehe.

this would probably make him quit DF, please don't do it.
DF is HIS, if you want to use a utility with DF its fine, i like stonesense a lot, and don't criticize it at all, but don't go nag him to officially support anything, that's pushing it

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 12, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »

I eagerly await the time when DF Is user-friendly and actually has a GUI.  Making the GUI community driven is the fastest way to do it.

Since making a GUI is a huge timesink, I personally really hope he opens up the GUI part of DF to the community so it can get done in a reasonable time scale.

Eh, it's just a dream of mine.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Pyrofyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 12, 2009, 06:39:03 pm »

I eagerly await the time when DF Is user-friendly and actually has a GUI.  Making the GUI community driven is the fastest way to do it.

Since making a GUI is a huge timesink, I personally really hope he opens up the GUI part of DF to the community so it can get done in a reasonable time scale.

Community driven is nice, don't get me wrong. Toady is doing a lot of stuff already and DF needs it's own updates. This was coded as a third party app, if they wanted to try and get it to be first party and directly in the game, they'd ask to do so, them, the creators, not us.

Speaking of which I have to ask, for everyone spriting, is there a general area you're all posting? I'd like to help, but don't want to step on any toes, and definitely don't want to end up spriting in a different style and stuff.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:49 pm »

Hmmm, it doesn't seem like the artists have a certain area, don't forget you can make your own tilesets though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:42 pm »

What is it with people and this graphics thing? Just let him do it in his own time.

Has Toady ever failed us before?

Toady's a decent bloke and we should respect his wishes.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: November 12, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

I'm just posting here with my artwork. The googlecode site has a tentative table set up by jonas, so maybe some organization will come in the next few days.

And for most traps, I think something like a tripewire or visual pressure-plate/trigger stone would be good.
I don't know how possible animation is with traps.

For the cage trap, in my mind the bottom of the cage is on the ground, and when a creature steps on it the bars+top fall down and close from a hidden space in the ceiling; or something.

@quinnr: I like to imagine gremlins as very similar to fire imps, just without the fire. Brown, yellow, or green in my mind.

@Puzzlemaker: DF is more than just an amateur-made game, it's Toady's personal project. Doing the work himself is the main goal (or that's at least what I think, I've enver talked to the guy ;p). Graphics are the lowest priority, this game is more like a proof of concept for spontaneous content generation.

@ jonas: A word of advice for working on rotation :)
Check out some segway isometric->3d RPGs. Games like Breathe of Fire 3, 4, and Final Fantasy Tactics had a good system. The terrain is made of polygons, but most objects and characters were still sprites. There are good examples of how to show objects when swapping perspectives.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: November 12, 2009, 09:24:17 pm »

I LOVE THIS PROGRAMMMMmmmmm
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 379