Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719428 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #540 on: November 05, 2009, 06:25:45 pm »

Natural Stone (Smoothed)
Raw Stone (Cobblestones)
Stone Blocks (Bricks)
Raw Wood (Trunks/Branches)
Wood Blocks (Planks)
Metal (Forged Bars/Plates)
Glass Blocks (Carved/Shaped)

Your 'natural stone' look likes constructed stone blocks. Your 'raw stone' looks like a 'rough' constructed stone wall from raw stone, not blocks. The stone block one is just odd, you have tiled bricks on the sides but the top is a grid?

I would use the first one 'natural stone' for constructed stone block walls, the 2nd one for constructed walls from natural stone. The third one could probably be reworked for glass blocks, as I don't see them casting one huge glass block for a wall. Raw wood is fine as-is, or you could make them stacked horizontally. Either one works. The wood blocks you have there look fine. Just my 2 bits, great work overall.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 05, 2009, 06:32:17 pm »

this mini project so far is totaly capable to getting info from dwarf fortress and make a pseudo GUI. but remember, read or use DF not make DF use gui. just have some sort of "send" and "get" and everything should be safe for compatibility issues.

I don't think you realize how hard that is, the DFHack program is built on years of hacking into the DF memory structure by numerous dedicated people each building on earlier work and its no ware near getting access to all the data which is by the way constantly moving around in each version of DF, without constant hacking it becomes incompatible almost immediately.  DFHack also has to halt DF when reading data which is going to cause significant slowdown, its never going to be able to substitute for a real API.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Arcalane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »

Natural Stone (Smoothed)
Raw Stone (Cobblestones)
Stone Blocks (Bricks)
Raw Wood (Trunks/Branches)
Wood Blocks (Planks)
Metal (Forged Bars/Plates)
Glass Blocks (Carved/Shaped)

Your 'natural stone' look likes constructed stone blocks. Your 'raw stone' looks like a 'rough' constructed stone wall from raw stone, not blocks. The stone block one is just odd, you have tiled bricks on the sides but the top is a grid?

I would use the first one 'natural stone' for constructed stone block walls, the 2nd one for constructed walls from natural stone. The third one could probably be reworked for glass blocks, as I don't see them casting one huge glass block for a wall.

Yet it only takes one glass block to make a glass block wall... ;) I agree though, the natural stone would look better as constructed with blocks, the raw stone looks fine, and the stone blocks (well, bricks) look a bit small. The natural stone should be a single face and look a bit rougher, like a fresh and unsmooth tunnel wall, rather than odd, neat giant blocks.

Found the thread from RPS. Very nice pixelwork here guys, I think the style fits DF nicely. Makes me think of X-COM, I must say.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 05, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »

this mini project so far is totaly capable to getting info from dwarf fortress and make a pseudo GUI. but remember, read or use DF not make DF use gui. just have some sort of "send" and "get" and everything should be safe for compatibility issues.

I don't think you realize how hard that is, the DFHack program is built on years of hacking into the DF memory structure by numerous dedicated people each building on earlier work and its no ware near getting access to all the data which is by the way constantly moving around in each version of DF, without constant hacking it becomes incompatible almost immediately.  DFHack also has to halt DF when reading data which is going to cause significant slowdown, its never going to be able to substitute for a real API.
I think he means that instead of hacking DF, DF actively sends data to stonesense.  I think I can sort of see how it could work - each stonesense tile has an associated variable, and it is these variables that DF sends to stonesense, along with their arrangement along the grid.  From that stonesense organizes it.

All that really need be done once something like that was in place (if it were to be put in place) would be for DF to consistently use the same variables for each tile, and then stonsense would only need to be updated for adding new variables (I think) - doesn't sound too hard.

Edit:  for example, [34:20:1:12:32:15] could describe to stonesense [CREATURE:DWARF:MINER:X:Y:Z] (note that I'm just making up these numbers and even the format off the top of my head to help you understand the sort of thing I'm talking about - it is by no means meant to suggest that this is how it is required to be done should it be done at all).

Still sounds like it could drain resources a bit, though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:53:20 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 05, 2009, 08:54:09 pm »

I think he means that instead of hacking DF, DF actively sends data to stonesense.  I think I can sort of see how it could work - each stonesense tile has an associated variable, and it is these variables that DF sends to stonesense, along with their arrangement along the grid.  From that stonesense organizes it.

What your describing is an API and Toady has steadfastly refused every appeal to add it to DF (which I personally find unconscionable, either provide a real UI or an API, refusing to do either is simply an insult).  soul4hdwn was clearly indicating something else, that DFHack should do all retrieval too and writing too DF and I pointed out that he dose not understand the technical limitations involved which make our current hacking approach extremely limited and why it will never be a true API no matter how much work is put into it.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »

He mentioned "send" and "get" - that implies that both programs would be actively involved in the process.  And Stonesense seems unlikely to be sending to DF, nor does DF seem likely to be "getting" from Stonesense.  The current system just has Stonesense pulling from DF.

Just because Toady might have refused something on a few occasions doesn't mean that fellow has seen the refusal, so you shouldn't go making assumptions that he does and that it automatically affects what he is suggesting.  Just say, "Toady's already said no to that."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:32:40 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:55 pm »

Revised.

I might redo the mechanical stuff to match the new wood color when I animate them.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #547 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:21 pm »

(which I personally find unconscionable, either provide a real UI or an API, refusing to do either is simply an insult)
I'm of two minds about this.  On one hand, the DF community is one of the best modding communities I've seen in a long time and for programs based on DFHack, they've done everything just by attaching to the process and reading the memory.  So of course, I'd be interested if Toady were to open up and allow an API.

On the other hand, I know what it's like to have a project of this magnitude, it's an extreme investment of his time and becomes extremely personal to the person writing it.  If he opens up the project who knows what might happen.  Worst case scenario, he might lose control of the project.  So I'm not so sure if Toady's refusal to add an API is really that insulting.

He mentioned "send" and "get" - that implies that both programs would be actively involved in the process.
That's not strictly true.  With memory reading / injection it's possible to do all of the reading and writing from Stonesense's side; however it's really not a good idea for the long run.  At this point, we're really just arguing about semantics, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 05, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »

One waterwheel issue: what does it look like when the water is drained out?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 05, 2009, 09:59:34 pm »

One waterwheel issue: what does it look like when the water is drained out?
Actually, thinking about things a bit more, We can probably do some hacky stuff where it's really needed, so we may be able to force the waterwheel building to expand into the z-level below.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 05, 2009, 10:12:45 pm »

What your describing is an API and Toady has steadfastly refused every appeal to add it to DF ...(which I personally find unconscionable, either provide a real UI or an API, refusing to do either is simply an insult)...

Dwarf Fortress is Toady One's project, he quit his job to work on this and it is his gift to us. It is free, we don't have to pay and he not only gives constant updates but also actively listens and engages with his community. The real insult is to not respect his wishes in allowing him to get around to it when he has the time. He has given his reasons many times for why he has made the decisions that he has. I like Stonesense and I think that the added attention it will bring to DF will be good for Toady and good for us all but I think you're out of line Impaler[WrG]. We are not in a position to demand anything from Toady or to criticize him for what is very obviously a labor of love.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 05, 2009, 10:24:52 pm »

so...am I remembering correctly that you get the index of the material and the index of the submaterial but don't know how to interpret the latter? Or are you unable to read the submat yet?

I kind of suspect that it might be as simple as parsing the DF raws for materials yourself. Vanilla that'll work fine, because materials are nice and isolate, so the file read order shouldn't affect subindices if they all 0-base.

But if they're spread across files, you need to guess Toady's file order-wait. Ne'ermind. Pretty obvious he goes by alphabet, by how the animals in animal stockpile are arranged. (Verified on metals.)

Aaand verified parse order, at least for animals- bphibians (toad) comes after birds before domestics, rather than at the start like toad usually is. (See: toad bone bugs)

And metals (putting a new metal "borglite" in its own raw and changing where the file fell in alphabet (matgloss_borglite vs matgloss_zzborglite) correctly changed it from first in line to last. (These also taught me you need to make the file name match internally or it ignores that file)

Strangely, the order appears to be reverse of the pile on embark (bismuth bronze...gold,iron) . I wonder why that is. Anyway, it should be fairly easy to check which way it's stored in tile.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:08 pm »

We are not in a position to demand anything from Toady or to criticize him for what is very obviously a labor of love.

Word.

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

PantheraDwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 06, 2009, 01:10:24 am »

I loved this so much, I had to make a couple wallpapers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

toryoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:45 am »

Dwarf Fortress is Toady One's project, he quit his job to work on this and it is his gift to us. It is free, we don't have to pay and he not only gives constant updates but also actively listens and engages with his community. The real insult is to not respect his wishes in allowing him to get around to it when he has the time. He has given his reasons many times for why he has made the decisions that he has. I like Stonesense and I think that the added attention it will bring to DF will be good for Toady and good for us all but I think you're out of line Impaler[WrG]. We are not in a position to demand anything from Toady or to criticize him for what is very obviously a labor of love.

Wanting to comment on this for a long time prompted me to register for a "quick" 2 cents.

See, I'm of the opinion that all of the above quote can be utterly true and deserves to be respected without actually diminishing or even modifying the central point that those begging for some form of real graphics support have been trying to make for a while now; thus really requiring some serious consideration for a balanced compromise to be needed, likely something along the lines of sooner than later, if this issue is to ever be truly silenced for good  (Stonesense might just be that compromise).

[but my post was entirely too long and slightly redundant in places, so I scrapped it.  ...It may return. ...Someday.  ...Someday.  :) ]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:51:58 am by toryoom »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 379