Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719519 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - Now 31.21 compatible
« Reply #4950 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:14 am »

I'd already replaced the xml file to no effect.

EDIT: Mcbeers file seemed to work better than the one from the Microsoft website for some reason. You might want to change the 2.1 only sign there, it is rather calculated to confuse if you don't know what you are about. Thank for your time, my good sir/ma'am.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:52:56 am by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: April 03, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

Wow, those engravings are darn fancy.

Could get a bit cluttered in large, completely-engraved forts, though, so are they toggleable on/off in Stonesense? Better yet, is it possible to read which ones are toggled to be displayed within DF, and only display those ones as symbols?

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: April 04, 2011, 12:28:23 am »

that's actually possible to do. come to think of it, I'm not sure exactly why it hasn't been done...

I'll look into it.
Cool! I look forward to that addition :D

Wow, those engravings are darn fancy.

Could get a bit cluttered in large, completely-engraved forts, though, so are they toggleable on/off in Stonesense? Better yet, is it possible to read which ones are toggled to be displayed within DF, and only display those ones as symbols?
Or toggled to a generic engraved pattern? The symbols are awesome! The recent work on grasses and engravings have added a whole new dimension to stonesense, congrats on the hard work!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:35 am »

You could set all engravings to be obscured in init.txt. You have to manually obscure existing ones, though, and I'm not sure this would even show up differently on Stonesense.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:12 am »

right now, all engravings are shown in stonesense, always, because it's still a work in progress.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:27 pm »

Hey, I'm trying to get the latest version of stonesense to run on a Windows XP sp3 machine and I get this error message:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Are there any dlls I can copy somewhere in my system directory that might let me run the program?  Or should I change some aspect of the Stonesense files themselves?
The same problem, with the only difference that I have Windows XP sp2. But no problem running at work under Win7 (x86_redist mentioned in the head of the topic is installed in both cases).

Also getting this error with Stonesense_Slate_2.3 on Windows XP SP3.  Is Stonesense no longer compatible with Windows XP?  (The older 2.2 worked fine on XP.)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: April 06, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »

try the redists in the first post, the ones that say they are only for 2.1

we used a different, more compatible, compiler in 2.2, but that wasn't working for 2.3, so 2.3 had the same compiler as 2.1

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:13 am »

Wanted to note that I was having a lot of trouble with 2.3 on XP as well. Specifically, it would lock up the computer for a second every 5 seconds or so, and was displaying all the pink transparency of the pngs.

Downloading and installing McBeer's unofficial vcredist_x86.zip (found under the "If stuff's not working spoiler" in the OP) fixed everything for me. Just wanted to post this here in case anyone was having a similar problem (I didn't have any luck finding someone with the same problem via forum or Google searches).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:55 am »

I should note that the png transparency thing happens when you try resizing while loading. I have no idea why this happens, but it does.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »

So, I'm not a graphic designer and I have only the barest idea how y'all sprite and tile designers do your work, but I have seen a few discussions on this page about textures and tiling, so I thought I'd share a link.

It's a very interesting approach to creating  non-repeatability and perceived randomness.  Makes me want to muck around a bit myself.
At last, she is done.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »

that is an interesting discussion, and easily done in Stonesense, especially when combined with the existing random functions.

each tile has a random seed.

each layer in the tile can have a given number of variations.

the sprite chosen is given by taking the remainder from seed/variations.

so if you want to have something that never tiles, just have a bottom sprite with only two or three variations, and a top layer with 5 or 7

viola, nothing's repeated.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: April 10, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »

Are there any options I can change to improve stonesense's performance? Even on single layer mode it's taking up 60% of my computing power.

I noticed that when I moved to an area that didn't have any tail-wagging dogs or those weird dancing soap-bubbles (flowers?) that appear on 80% of soil/wet stone tiles, Stonesense's CPU usage fell from 60% to 30%, which leads me to believe that the animations are primarily responsible for the atrocious performance. Is there a way to disable the animations? They're probably not helping my performance, and the sea of bouncing flowers is incredibly distracting.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:47 pm »

Code: (init.txt) [Select]
Amount of time, in milliseconds, before the animation swaps to the next frame.
Now independant of map refresh.
[ANIMATION_RATE:150000]

And anyway performance in atrocious.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: April 10, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »

pretty much all the speed issues we're experiencing can be blamed on one thing.

Me.

I'm a terrible programmer that doesn't know what he's doing and is just monkeying around.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:13 am »

I'm a terrible programmer that doesn't know what he's doing and is just monkeying around.
We know, but forgive you because you look cool, and blame it on the lack of oxygen in your atmosphere.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 379