Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719353 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4815 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »

there is a release with the grasses, but that one you have to work for.

you must use your Google-Fu do learn how to use the SVN link in the first post.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: March 07, 2011, 01:06:31 pm »

teach us o matster? :)

Dude, sarcasm and snark are about 60% of this thread. :P I get it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:49:55 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: March 07, 2011, 01:09:31 pm »

And then what? teach every other person that asks here? every day?

it's not stable enough to release it officially, so to compromise, we make you learn how to get it yourself.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:45 pm »

I figured it out and I barely know any VisualBasic. Not that that helped at all. I can also touch my own nose with my thumbs.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

It's oriental kudzu.

um. you do know where kudzu is from, right?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:02 pm »

If it's any consolation I now feel very, very stupid. :)

For anyone like me who searched for a good hour to no avail, the most recent updates can be found on the Google Code page under Project Home > Updates (Not Downloads). The link is here: http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/updates/list

Damnit Google I had assumed your site structures always made sense.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4821 on: March 08, 2011, 03:26:57 am »

SVN is a version control software. In use it's kinda like dropbox, but with more emphaiss on version control. So if there's a faulty file coming through svn, you can always let it revert to the previous version.

It's used by coders because... well it's handy to be able to get rid of all the file handling.

It won't be detailed how to use here, because people already can't be bothered to read previous pages to figure out that they need a new memory xml. And this is a slightly bit more complicate.(But again, it's basically dropbox in it's use, so go google it :) )

In the meantime.

Fighting off the question mark invasion one animal at a time.
(This ones a slightly, tiny bit different from the screen in the screenshot thread.)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: March 08, 2011, 03:29:37 am »

The pet rabbit is still adorable, though.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4823 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:43 am »

You have to understand my pain here. I HAD to google picture of baby rabbits! Looking up the visual differences between 40 different grasses? Fine! But having to look up pictures of baby rabbits... Such horror.

In all honesty, I had some problem with this, because I didn't want the adult rabbit to be too big, but the original baby rabbit was smaller then the chicks. So I used the adult rabbit for the new baby rabbit sprite and redrew the adult rabbit.

/Proportion rant
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:09 am »

This is a Suggestion from One Who Does Not Know How: How about you steal borrow a trick from Unreal World and have the sprites of animals (and dwarves, possibly) shift location by a pixel or two every now and then? Makes them a lot more easy to see (so you don't need to go to pains to make them stand out against every possible background) and also makes them seem more alive.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4825 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

Well the problem isn't just them standing out, it's also a matter of making it fit in with the other stonesense creatures.

Also, we do have access to animation features. I just don't really feel like making a seperate animation for 20+ animals, and the one pixel difference might look a bit outdated on sprites this detailed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The trees themselves work fine, but I seem to have something weird with the soil going on.
There's a few missing patches where the missing sapling trees are growing, but there's also a couple of patches where the grass is missing and according to DF there's nothing there... (It lacks in the mountain biome, which has no trees... so perhaps it's a shrub issue anyway?)

Dark Tundra, my favorite tree here is the larch, because it's a lot more plastic(3d-ish) and lacks the overly strong high-light of the cedar and the pine here.
The problem for me is that the highlight on those trees is so bright and over a large area, that it de-contrasts the shadowy bits, taking away a lot of shape from the trees. Maybe it's better to avoid such strong difference in the future?

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:19 pm »

The problem for me is that the highlight on those trees is so bright and over a large area, that it de-contrasts the shadowy bits, taking away a lot of shape from the trees. Maybe it's better to avoid such strong difference in the future?

I think to add more shape you may want to change the light direction a bit.
Like this to the right:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: March 08, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »

I'm going to take a break for now, I'll see what I can do about it later. I'll probably try to rebalance the levels and paint in a darker contrast, or something similar.

EDIT:
is this cedar any better? If it is an improvement I may go though and similarly touch up the other trees.
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:19:40 am by Dark_Tundra »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:57 am »

The trees on therahedwig's screenshot seems a little indistinct. They blend into each other and into the background. I think they could use some dark borders and perhaps a bit more saturation/contrast? By themselves they look fine but to me it seems they clash with the rest of Stonesense pixels which use more distinct colors and borders.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:52:41 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:46 am »

Here's a good suggestion for you: Have different centering offsets for Adventure and Fortress mode.  I've noticed that I have to readjust my offset every time I play Adventure mode, even tho it works just fine in Fortress.

Also, in Adventure mode, snow coverings dont' seem to be working correctly for "visible" squares.  I get alot of black floor squares where there should be snow covered stuff.  I'm playing a modded version but when I (l)ook at the square I see normal soil ground squares.  But in Stonesense it looks like an unrevealed floor or something.  The ones I can't see, however, are rendered just fine.  Maybe since it's outside my visual range, but revealed, the snow is rendered but the problematic object is not.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 379