Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720866 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2745 on: March 24, 2010, 06:39:27 am »

Is that a waterfall mist I see down next to Zon and Imush?  :o

nope, it's an ocean wave.

waterfalls look like this:

*image*

I, uh...

uh...

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2746 on: March 24, 2010, 06:46:52 am »

:D

(Japa, quit spoiling their surprises ;) (Great work tho buddy!))

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:13 am »

sowwy

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:52 am »

StoneSense is the best alternate graphics pack :)
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: March 24, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

Concepts/Questions for Da Team:
1) How clunky would it be to animate certain tiles? I'm thinking for simple things like water/waterfalls, primarily, but hypothetically for occupied/in-use workshops too.

2) Same goes for Coordinate-Based Random Tiles as in #1. You could streamline the functionality to make "animated" tiles cycle through its 4 possible appearances once per frame, whereas static tiles would be assigned one of those based on their coordinates as a Random Seed.

3) Is that Ocean Wave a particle-based overlay, or is it in tiles? Also, if particles how is the increasing density being calculated? I've got a WIP of a floor-type water tile for waves, with dynamic edges (the little bit of froth at the head of a wave, etc), which might pair well with this.

4) Tile Shadows: A bit tricky, but Lit vs. Unlit tiles would be a nice thing to represent. It becomes tricky with the vertical facings, though, as they should draw their Lit/Unlitness from the square they face, or all vertical faces will be shadowed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:53:30 pm by Solifuge »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:09 pm »

4) Tile Shadows: A bit tricky, but Lit vs. Unlit tiles would be a nice thing to represent. It becomes tricky with the vertical facings, though, as they should draw their Lit/Unlitness from the square they face, or all vertical faces will be shadowed.

Hopefully this would be a toggle-able feature? When you have a lot of interior to your fortress you want to look at it :(

This all sounds pretty awesome though.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »

I, uh...

uh...

:D :D :D :D , buckets, i love your reply, man!  8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:52:21 pm by xoen »

1-Down Shroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:18 pm »

so the purple stuff is a stinky gas but whats the red or pink stuff that stays on the ground, theres alot of it by my wagon.
I will get you high.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »

upd - i realized what's on that pic
http://pix.sparky-s.ie/c0236.png
and all i can say it OMGGGWOW.
So, actually same "tiletypes" may differ visually regarding of what's around 'em?
(i am unable to express it in better way)
This is insane! Effects may be just unbelieveable.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:50:51 pm by xoen »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

Sorry for hogging the thread ><

But I really appreciate all your thoughts on this.

This is working with the second mockup trying to get away from the constructed feel. Trying to smooth transitions and the harsh edges in the floor tiles. But fast post this must be!... for reasons unknown.

I'll edit in replies in a sec, but mostly i agree with all of you! :P

I very much enjoy your "hogging the thread". If this is what happens when you do it, please do it more often... I don't believe anyone is complaining. :P

I'm definitely liking the organic shapes here, and with multiple textures it adds a lot of character to the stone. Reminds me of FFTA in a very good way too (some of the best pixel art of modern titles). Since I'm pretty sure everyone here will agree that this stuff is pretty badass, I'll do what I can to provide a critique. Here goes:

1) The dithering stands out in comparison to the other existing graphical assets, though in its own right looks just fine. It will make it tougher to create finer textures, though, as you'll need to suggest texture with larger shapes.

2) Remember that floors will sometimes be free-hanging, though those can be given separate graphics assets as well. Are you using separate floor tiles for the top tiles than you are between 2 stacked walls? If so, the same method would work for free-hanging floors, with hard edges on the bottom, and smooth transitions on the top. Hard transitions on top and bottom would work for thin walkways too.

3) Since these tiles aren't contained to a shear cube, some of the floors (namely the middle two floor tiles with the vertically projecting stone bits) occlude a lot of the tiles behind them, which would make it tough to see 1-tile cave openings and such (as evidenced by the topmost "cave" in the mockup). These floors also would look strange with sprites standing on them, since they're the most uneven floors. You may want to reduce the vertical projections a little bit, and keep them within a few pixels deviation from the main cube shape, to keep them from occluding too much.

Always make sure that the graphics don't interfere with understanding what's going on in the game. Anywho, it's looking great, and I'm excited to see where you go with these graphics!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:18 am »

Concepts/Questions for Da Team:
1) How clunky would it be to animate certain tiles? I'm thinking for simple things like water/waterfalls, primarily, but hypothetically for occupied/in-use workshops too.
buildings are already animated, but I don't think stonesense can currently tell if a workshop is in use.

as for the terrain, it's not done yet, but it is planned.
2) Same goes for Coordinate-Based Random Tiles as in #1. You could streamline the functionality to make "animated" tiles cycle through its 4 possible appearances once per frame, whereas static tiles would be assigned one of those based on their coordinates as a Random Seed.
or more likely cycle through 4 sets of 4 random tiles.

3) Is that Ocean Wave a particle-based overlay, or is it in tiles? Also, if particles how is the increasing density being calculated? I've got a WIP of a floor-type water tile for waves, with dynamic edges (the little bit of froth at the head of a wave, etc), which might pair well with this.
right now it's particle based.

DF atmospheric effects have a density that ranges from 0 to 100. right now, that number is being used for the number of particles, but it can be just as easily used for the opacity of a single tile, or for choosing from a set of different tiles.

right now, ocean waves are not supported, only the froth when they hit the shore, and the water on the ground that get's thrown up.

yes, this is tricky. another problem is that outside walls would still be lit on the inside.

upd - i realized what's on that pic
http://pix.sparky-s.ie/c0236.png
and all i can say it OMGGGWOW.
So, actually same "tiletypes" may differ visually regarding of what's around 'em?
(i am unable to express it in better way)
This is insane! Effects may be just unbelieveable.

no, they simply differ visually regarding where they are.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: March 25, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

Thanks for the feedback solifuge! I needed to take a little break today so i could come back with some fresh eyes.

I agree on the dithering, I tried to add in some more colours and remove the dithering earlier but it seemed to make the stone wash out too much. I really need to work on my palettes and contrast to get it looking good >< I'll probably start from scratch again...

With the floor tiles, I tried to use the juts and overlaps to try and break up the grid effect. But it seems that some of the prominent overlaps (aka the phallis stone as my girlfriend calls it... well not in those words) seem to enhance the repeateating pattern by being TOO prominent. I'm using the same floor tiles for inbetween the wall blocks and the tops, so I was trying to get a working compromise so they were able to work in all situations. Having the darker bottom edge for the case where they would be floating floors, some still darker edges on some of the overhangs for when they were top edges and inbetween's and lighter top edges to try to get them to blend as expanses of floors.

Maybe if one of the proggies can get transition tiles working out I might be able to ditch the blocky uneven floors and get a smoother look for the wide expanses but still keep the rugged edges for cliff edges etc...

I guess i just got this image in my head the other morning and though "MAN! THAT WOULD MAKE AN AWESOME LOOKING CLIFF FORT!" .. but sadly it's being harder to get the image out of my head than first thought :P

I might start from scratch and try for still smoother walls like those in FFT. But's going to be trying to keep the transitions that are probably going to kill me :P

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: March 25, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »

If only Stonesense could be used for keyboard and mouse input, somehow highjack DF's vanilla input system.  *Sigh*
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

spacemonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: March 25, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »

Excellent work on the program.

I have this set up on a dual screen system, DF on one screen, Stonesense on the other, works really well.

Any plans to include stock pile items? I would be pretty cool to have the stockpiles fill with barrels of beer.

1-Down Shroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »

That be miasma!

Think of it as nasty fart gas that rotting creatures/food/zombies give off. It gives your dwarves a bad thought for going through it.

Yeah, but what is the red stuff in the game that lays on the ground.
Oh, and you have to get items in the stonesense and it would be awesome if u could play the game just on stonesense, it would be easyer than modifying it in the game then having to pull up stonesense and just watch it, then heaven forbid seeing a flaw and have to pull up the game again and fix it. *sigh*, what a workout.  :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:30:45 pm by 1-Down Shroom »
I will get you high.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 379