Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1704837 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1875 on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:04 am »

They probably WOULD Soup but the program cannot recognise attacks so they couldn't do it if they wanted.

Heck I am sure they would allow you to play the game from stonesense if they could.

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 04, 2009, 08:52:30 am »

Ah, that's too bad... I assume the program detects movement though, are there any plans to make the animation one-shot and then restart once when something moves?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 04, 2009, 09:07:20 am »

The Program doesn't detect movement exactly.

It to my knowledge it just scans the map constantly. So I guess if Cow 7 was in one location in one scan and then was in another location in another scan... It could maybe extrapolate movement... but it cannot tell if something moves as far as I am aware.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 04, 2009, 09:39:38 am »

That would make sense if it says 'scanning every 2ms'
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 04, 2009, 09:46:23 am »

That would make sense if it says 'scanning every 2ms'

It would only need to scan everytime there is a change.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 04, 2009, 10:53:57 am »

Another bit of a peeve is that glass windows are so thin and are without corners, and glass blocks, like all other masonry-based walls, appear exactly identical. Either I have an opaque dome, or I attempt to fake it with windows and have to deal with overhanging floor tiles.
I need to have another look at options for reading in wall tiles, but it currently isnt looking hopeful for being able to detect glass walls.
:-[
I'd help out instead of 'complaining', but I lack in the graphics-fu.
Some things are just plain oversights, so complaining can be helpful, too.

edit: Do your floodgates work better if you grab the latest floodgate config from
http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/source/browse/trunk/buildings/Floodgate.xml

My floodgates work perfectly now, yes, thank you. I actually did a little bit of testing, too, and a north-south path will dominate an east-west path in a cross formation. Not a complaint, just an observation.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 04, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

Even if the program can't detect movement, if they made it so that an object reloads its animation every time it moves to a new tile that would work as well... if it was made so each object only executes the animation once.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 04, 2009, 12:49:47 pm »

So why can't stonesense detect items?  Is it just impossible to do with the way DF is set up to memhack it?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 04, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »

So why can't stonesense detect items?  Is it just impossible to do with the way DF is set up to memhack it?

We were discussing item detection a few pages back:

As for items themselves, this was another feature that Lifevis had.  Presumably he'd found a reasonably efficient way of handling it.  You can see items (blue blobs) lying on the ground in that demonstration video.

"Is there an object here" is relatively easy- theres an occ flag for that, so I had it on a branch a few weeks back. Anything beyond "an object" eg "what kind of object" suddenly becomes much harder.

Ah, gotcha.  What makes identifying them so difficult?  Is it just expensive to iterate over the item vector, or is the item format not understood?

I think DFHack is getting item support, but the expense is the big factor. If we can get items at a specific location it would be much easier, but I dont think we have that info yet.

Otherwise we may have to resort to only reloading the object info when we really *really* need to, because it will be worse than when you hit 'stones' in your stockpile screen.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:45 pm »

well, in the current implementation now... does it reload the sprite resource when it moves to a new tile?
like for example, does the animation start over when it moves to a new tile or is it the same cycle of frames?
Currently, its a 6 frame cycle, and mostly independent of the map reload loop. So critters will keep their place in the loop while moving. The animation frame is global, updating at a configurable rate. Sprites are redrawn when either the frame changes or the map is reloaded. Each critter has a fixed offset from the global frame to keep things from being to much in lockstep (so 1 in 6 critters will be in any given animation state).

ah I see... any plans to implement an action-based or one-shot based animation system?
well, I was thinking about it- there's another thread that I keep losing track of in which Mayday proposes a simple manner of animating things.

Ah, that's too bad... I assume the program detects movement though, are there any plans to make the animation one-shot and then restart once when something moves?
Problem: Fliers would stop flapping.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »

well... could one-shot animation be implemented as an option, rather than a replacement...? then objects/creatures could be flagged with the attribute of one-shot animation as either 1 or 0.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:00:09 pm by soup »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 04, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

Anyway, I was thinking about it- there's another thread that I keep losing track of in which Mayday proposes a simple manner of animating things.

Should probably fork animation discussion off, but...I'm unsure whether suggestions or modding is better for that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #1887 on: December 04, 2009, 06:18:11 pm »

Unless it's a suggestion for how Toady can improve Dwarf Fortress, I'd stick with the modding subforum.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 04, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »

If someone wanted to work nearly FOREVER on a future visualiser they could make each bodypart of each creature individually (with visual injuries) so you can see how injured someone is by looking at them. That would be awsome [but it won't happen :"( ]. Heck even equipment could be visualised using that method.

Of course it would take forever, and is currently impossible, and would only be worth doing when DF nears completion
Well, the reason to do it is that making each part and piece individually means you only need to multiply items by poses (with some clever tricks you may e'en get away without this), directions, and creatures, rather than the factorial combinatoric explosion of equipment.
Kobold:

Okay, going from this...a demonstration of how you can do individual equipment pieces. (Forgive my horrible koboldhelm.)
Anyway, the demopic.

You could either bumpmap or repalettize (depending on artistic style/taste) to get different materials/dyes. (Here, I'm using default colors: bright gray for steel, dark gray for iron, bright cyan for adamantine).

This also allows for severs, at least primitively- though that would entail expanding to the proper BPs (upper arm, lower arm, etc)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:16:04 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 04, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »

^^^ That's really cool.  Good job working out the draw order etc.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 379