Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1704846 times)

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1860 on: December 03, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »

* contributes to the thread derailement:

For Ultima music, I like "Forest" from Ultima 6.  Adequately dwarfy for when nothing in particular is going on, plus it's the one piece of video game music other than the Final Fantasy crystal theme that I can't get sick of.

http://www.surfing.net/ultima/bard/ultima6.html

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: December 04, 2009, 12:08:11 am »

What's with these animooted dwarf sprites?  Are we moving away from static sprites or are these side projects? 
Side projects- note they are based on Mayday's cavalier spriteset and hence wouldnt fit into the main stonesense even if the main stonesense had any support for that kind of animation.

And I have no idea why people are discussing music here- Stonesense dev is backlogged enough without any plans for sound.

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:55 am »

Yeah I know what you mean kaypy, I thought talking about music was pretty off-topic...

animation:

grid alignment:

loop walk:

loop walk w/ beard:

I did an animated dwarf that would fit in the current stone sense...

Koolaidmanohya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 04, 2009, 12:28:47 am »

One thing that worries me about moving dwarf sprites is that the dwarves themselves are not moving quite often, say for instance when they are crafting or eating or sleeping. May also be a bit much to have 150 dwaves all walking around in place (some may actually be moving

Will Stonesense have a way to separate the sprites into moving and stationary 'motions' for when the dwarves are static vs. moving?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:20 am »

The music discussion inspired me to make a DF-inspired tune this afternoon. Think I'll eventually call it "Taken by a Fey Mood".

And all hail Stonesense; such a great visualizer! But ya'll already knew that.  ;)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 04, 2009, 12:44:14 am »

YT doesn't work for me. Host an mp3 somewhere?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: December 04, 2009, 12:47:03 am »

One thing that worries me about moving dwarf sprites is that the dwarves themselves are not moving quite often, say for instance when they are crafting or eating or sleeping. May also be a bit much to have 150 dwaves all walking around in place (some may actually be moving

Will Stonesense have a way to separate the sprites into moving and stationary 'motions' for when the dwarves are static vs. moving?

I did the concept just for fun, I don't expect it to be implemented any time soon... but if it did, it would be awesome.

Actually... are animations even currently supported (or plan to be) in stone sense?

and as far as the "endless walking in one position" animation, you could easily enable the animations to not be looped, so it would only do one walk "cycle".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:49:29 am by soup »

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: December 04, 2009, 12:58:31 am »

Actually... are animations even currently supported (or plan to be) in stone sense?

and as far as the "endless walking in one position" animation, you could easily enable the animations to not be looped, so it would only do one walk "cycle".
Animations are being supported however at the moment it's not on a per action basis and just all the time.
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:36 am »

well, in the current implementation now... does it reload the sprite resource when it moves to a new tile?

like for example, does the animation start over when it moves to a new tile or is it the same cycle of frames?

I could imagine it being either:

1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2(moves to a new tile),1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc... or
1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2(moves to a new tile),3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2, etc...

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 04, 2009, 01:19:16 am »

What's with these animooted dwarf sprites?  Are we moving away from static sprites or are these side projects? 
And I have no idea why people are discussing music here- Stonesense dev is backlogged enough without any plans for sound.

If that's the case then I'll just put my music on the backburner then.

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 04, 2009, 01:23:09 am »

If that's the case then I'll just put my music on the backburner then.

they really are a completely separate project, but I do think you should make a new thread so we can discuss all of the music for DF in a topic it is meant for.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:27 am »

http://sites.google.com/site/kerjigger/CBrun.mp3

What do you guys think of this (unfinished) piece?
I have a pretty powerful bass system so it sounds okay to me, but if your system is a little weak it might sound a little nonexistant, and I might need to add another instrument. I was sorta going for an industrial vibe here; perhaps this would be the default music if your fortress has a heavy metal industry?

Sounds a tad too...threatening, to me; I'd associate it more with orcs than with dorfs. Good song, though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 04, 2009, 01:34:58 am »

they really are a completely separate project, but I do think you should make a new thread so we can discuss all of the music for DF in a topic it is meant for.

If anyone's thinking about starting a thread, they should be aware that there have been several such threads already:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32164.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18809.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30132.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=1869.0

kaypy is right, though, this thread and music discussion are not really a good fit for each other.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:53 am »

well, in the current implementation now... does it reload the sprite resource when it moves to a new tile?
like for example, does the animation start over when it moves to a new tile or is it the same cycle of frames?
Currently, its a 6 frame cycle, and mostly independent of the map reload loop. So critters will keep their place in the loop while moving. The animation frame is global, updating at a configurable rate. Sprites are redrawn when either the frame changes or the map is reloaded. Each critter has a fixed offset from the global frame to keep things from being to much in lockstep (so 1 in 6 critters will be in any given animation state).

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 04, 2009, 08:35:55 am »

Currently, its a 6 frame cycle, and mostly independent of the map reload loop. So critters will keep their place in the loop while moving. The animation frame is global, updating at a configurable rate. Sprites are redrawn when either the frame changes or the map is reloaded. Each critter has a fixed offset from the global frame to keep things from being to much in lockstep (so 1 in 6 critters will be in any given animation state).

ah I see... any plans to implement an action-based or one-shot based animation system?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 379