Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1722747 times)

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1650 on: November 30, 2009, 08:51:16 pm »

Here he is.  Thanks Retro for pointing that out...it looks fine on my end :/
Huzzah! Tactics ogre sprites!

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »

OK, maybe someone has talked about this in here, but the thread is getting really long.

Anyway, I can never get past the opening screen in Stonesense.  I mash "F9" over and over again and nothing happens.  I even tried making an AutoHotKey script to send F9, and it seemed to do nothing.  Anyone have any idea why?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:42 pm »

+1
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »

Sorry about the earlier image spam...won't happen again.  Tinypic happily hosts my images.

Anyways, i spent 5 minutes in MSpaint and did a full recolour of the TO sprite, and removed 3 pixels in height to see what he would look like. 

He looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Isometric lines usually follow the "over 2, up 1" rule to simulate 30 degrees.  However, I remodeled his eyeslits a little to be rounded.

Also his shoes are screwed up to high holy heaven.  But this was a test colourswap for myself and the community (so try not to stare at them).

Also: Deon, your dwarves aren't Iso.  That doesn't mean they aren't awesome...they just aren't Iso.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

But they are not flat also >.>. I think that I took a smaller angle than expected.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »

A giant large rat:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:01:33 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:41 pm »

My only problem with true isometric sprites is that at this size, you can lose a lot of clarity in line and shape trying to match that angle  - While that helmet looks pretty good, making a head with clear facial features (as opposed to the huge eyes of the Tactics Ogre sprites posted) is going to be extremely difficult.

I'm also opposed to the idea of just using different hats to differentiate the dwarf professions - in isometric perspective the hat will very likely become the predominant feature of the dwarf, and I'd rather look at non-iso dwarves than a field of iso hats. Also, since dwarves spend the vast majority of their lives underground, it always struck as odd that they would wear hats at all.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 30, 2009, 10:32:37 pm »

But do we need clear FACIAL features? Those mario sprites look wonderful.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »

While I love Super Mario RPG's graphics as much as the next guy, but I just can't see it working for a Dwarf Fortress visualizer.
Also, redoing all of the creatures in the SMRPG style (If I'm not mistaken they were pre-rendered 3d, although the style could be mimicked without that) will take an ultra-dedicated person an insane amount of time.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:53 pm »

Skeletal olm is kicking my arse so far today.... doesnt help with my lame non pixel screen.... so I need a fresh set of eyes over him. Any input is welcome!

Was messing around on the side of my sprite sheet and came up with this too:

To Deon: Thats an awesome rat! But I think it would be more suited to the "Large rat" sprite instead of giant.

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 30, 2009, 10:57:08 pm »

The mario sprites are wonderful, I love the artistic feel in that game. if you look closely, they don't actually "outline" any of the sprite characteristics, yet they still pop out. I think they achieve this by using high contrast and colorful clothing. This would allow more room for detail while not having to outline it. Also, those mario sprites do in fact fit inside the isometric tile.

I'm all for heavily modifying a "base" sprite for the different races from one or more popular games. Drawing all of them by hand, not to mention the animation, would be incredibly difficult.

Anyway, my proposal is to find a decent animated base sprite that is simple enough to add noticeable detail (such as colors and hats for the different jobs, weapon size, etc...) and that also matches the "style" we have so far for stone sense.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:58:48 pm by soup »

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:42 pm »

The Mario sprites do indeed fit in the unit cube. I was surprised myself, actually. I went to make a Super Mario RPG graphics pack expecting that I'd have to reduce the sprites to like half size to fit.

But no, we don't need to actually 3D render sprites, and especially not even copy the style exactly. I'm just saying, you know, actual isometric would be cool, and the proportions of these sprites work pretty well in a 32x32 box.
~ T

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »

Roflmagod, what is that? plump helmet rush?? ( i know its toad from mario but it feel kinda weird in DF world... lol )

McUrist Hungry: Sir we are low on food.
McUrist Mayor: To the meeting hall!! Time to eat some Shroom!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »

On the subject of isometric sprites - does DF have some sort of mechanism for detecting which direction a creature is facing? I've heard some vague references to facing having an effect in Adventure mode combat.
If it does, that makes the idea of pure isometric sprites a little more attractive.

soup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:55 pm »

The Mario sprites do indeed fit in the unit cube. I was surprised myself, actually. I went to make a Super Mario RPG graphics pack expecting that I'd have to reduce the sprites to like half size to fit.

But no, we don't need to actually 3D render sprites, and especially not even copy the style exactly. I'm just saying, you know, actual isometric would be cool, and the proportions of these sprites work pretty well in a 32x32 box.

I agree with you. So far the only truly isometric sprites I've seen contributed are from Beefmo, which are wonderful. (I have not seen the earlier posts, so please, correct me if I'm wrong...)

I always dreamed of a tactics-ogre-esque isometric DF, much like in this concept:

If anyone would like, I could find a decent base set of sprite character proportions we could edit. It would be much easier than laying them out from scratch.

On the subject of isometric sprites - does DF have some sort of mechanism for detecting which direction a creature is facing? I've heard some vague references to facing having an effect in Adventure mode combat.
If it does, that makes the idea of pure isometric sprites a little more attractive.

I hadn't really thought of that, I assumed it was already implemented... How hard would it be to implement/detect character direction?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:10:39 pm by soup »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 379