Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720648 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1245 on: November 21, 2009, 12:06:58 am »

Also, Dithering transparency has some nice features for water: since the pixels line up perfectly, you have the effect that something is either behind water or its not. Which is less problematic than each individual block of water having its own alpha effect. (Cause different blocks will line up strangely- I should do a mockup to [a] make it obvious what I'm saying and [b] make sure I know what I'm talking about)
Post mockup revised position statement: Given alpha transparency, doing water in a simple 'draw the water sprite at ~30% alpha' should work fine- edging effects are not really noticeable against the noise of the water textures.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 21, 2009, 12:12:12 am »

Does DF track what rock the gems are residing in, or would we have to base it on nearby walls?
I know that sometimes, when you construct a wall on a stone floor and deconstruct it, the floor tile will be set to whatever the main layer stone is - so that, at least, could probably be worked out, if it can't be done for gems in clusters and veins.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 21, 2009, 04:43:45 pm »

Is the next update coming soon?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 21, 2009, 06:00:00 pm »

Stonesense sorta works in adventure mode.   It's not reliable in it however.   Sometimes it crashes while navigating, usually on certain parts of the map (though those parts of the map don't appear to contain anything unusual)

It seems to reliably crash when viewing human towns in adventure mode, and there are some artifacts in unexplored sections of the map.  It also only shows areas that have been seen by the adventurer.

But under most circumstances you can see an adventurers surroundings in stonesense.
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

The above screenshot was taken in adventure mode at an "adventurer house" (small buildings quickly made in dwarf mode for adventurer use and storage.) The ? north of the house is my adventurer, the one south of it is some guard from a nearby town.

Not complaining at the lack of bug free adventurer support, just pointing out how it sorta works for any other folks who enjoy adventurer mode like I do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:04:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 21, 2009, 06:08:05 pm »

...is the fatfloor deal configurable, or hardcoded, at this point? So much easier to work with square tiles..
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 21, 2009, 06:11:31 pm »

Rhyolite, chalk, coal, obsidian, and basalt.

Alright, did the new tall tiles, and confirmed that all the bump maps seamlessly tile. Some of the actual textures need to be redone though, like gold ore and bismuth. Now I just get to start over using the new shapes! :D

I'll do ramps tomorrow, hopefully I can figure out a way to do them as quickly as the walls.

EDIT:

Have we thought about spiral staircases so that stacks of stairs make sense?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:54:57 pm by Jadael »
~ T

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »

Rhyolite, chalk, coal, obsidian, and basalt.

Alright, did the new tall tiles, and confirmed that all the bump maps seamlessly tile. Some of the actual textures need to be redone though, like gold ore and bismuth. Now I just get to start over using the new shapes! :D

I'll do ramps tomorrow, hopefully I can figure out a way to do them as quickly as the walls.

EDIT:

Have we thought about spiral staircases so that stacks of stairs make sense?

You only need the smooth version of the fortification, FYI.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 21, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »

Quibble: Fortifications allow vertical passage-oh, accounted for.

Presumably we'll get to use them as murder holes sometime.

Else, *round of applause*

Killhour: No, you can build fortifications. Thus, rock and block too.

(You can also convert built walls to fortifications...but this should be identical to built)

edit: Stairs can be up stairs, down stairs, or up/down stairs. (All this really means is you need a thickfloor downstair, an upstair in the normal part, and a floor for the up-only stair) Spiral's probably good, but consider what it looks like with a creature standing there.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:47:53 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:05 pm »

The fortifications on the sheet are (from left to right) carved from smooth wall, carved from block wall, and carved from stone wall. Building a fortification directly gives you a block or stone fortification with no floor above it, while carving a fortification into a block wall keeps the floor above it. Floors can be built over fortifications that don't have a top, I assume.

EDIT: Can you shoot vertically through a fortification?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:09:20 pm by Jadael »
~ T

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

quick test with built fortification (as carved has the fakefloor atop):
Item (phantom spider silk thread, in this case) dumped from above falls into (no fakefloor to stop) but not through.
So, bottom is solid, evidently?
Tilesets

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 21, 2009, 09:07:40 pm »

Works for me. I'll leave them as is because that seems to make the most sense. Can't walk through them, can't walk on them, unless you cover with a floor.
~ T

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 21, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »

This is what I managed to get done for tonight; Making graphics for each and every one of the professions is going to be hard.

There are three bone carver ideas there: one with a long bone, one with a humanoid skull, and one with a deer skull (or similar). Which is the most clear?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 21, 2009, 09:45:31 pm »

Deer skull looks like a sickle, so I'd go with a long bone or a skull.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 21, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

This is what I managed to get done for tonight; Making graphics for each and every one of the professions is going to be hard.

There are three bone carver ideas there: one with a long bone, one with a humanoid skull, and one with a deer skull (or similar). Which is the most clear?

Xandrin cancels Study: Interupted by pixellated dwarves

I vote for the long bone.  Although a skull is mildly amusing (I recall a legendary bone carver that made a helm from the skull of one of his fellow artisans) the bone seems to just...fit.  Maybe make it a bit more cartoony and obviously bone-like?  At 1:1 it sorta just looks like a white stick.

All this sprite work brings me back to the days before anyone knew what the hell a polygon was, and hours spent (read: wasted) playing Final Fantasy or A Link to the Past :D.

These are neat to look at and see how different people interpret the dwarves.  Though there are 3 dwarves in brown with bandanas and i'm not sure what they're supposed to be.

Back to work on my lab.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 21, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »

Now with cel-shading.
~ T
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 379