Author Topic: Risen  (Read 4561 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Risen
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:19 pm »

So, after much waiting, I started this game today. I was a big fan of the Gothic games (1 and 2, anyway), and I've been looking forward to Risen for a while. However, I've avoided holding my breath because I didn't want to get my hopes up only to be presented with yet another eye-candy-with-no-substance game.

It's clear almost from the get-go that Risen is the real spiritual successor to Gothic 1 and 2 that G3 wasn't. The graphics, which deserve mention, are absolutely freakin' breathtaking - however, strangely enough, they load up and are MUCH less memory-heavy than G3's were. My rather mediocre system with a 9600 GT card handles everything on 'high' settings without any lag. And it looks fantastic.

The gameplay is very 'back to basics' Gothic-esque. If you liked the style of G1/2, you'll like Risen. The combat system is what G1/2/3's should have been. It's TOUGH, of course, just as it's meant to be, and you'll find your ass handed to you by all manner of woodland creatures in the beginning of the game. But the controls themselves are much more fluid and responsive than they were in the Gothic games.

It's worth warning people that the particular style of this type of game isn't for everyone. You'll die. A lot. And the game is more about exploring and adventuring than some cosmic good/evil struggle.

Anyway, I'd highly advise giving it a go to anyone who enjoys CRPGs (or action RPGs). I'm off to go play more now.  ;D

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risen
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »

Whoa.

Gothic clone.
HARD.

HARD.

And no more of the whole 'good versus evil' bullshit that is coming from your culture.

Ok, good enough. Will try to hold it.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:15:16 pm »

Tried installing the demo but got "Catastrophic Error" at the end of both downloads   :'(
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:12 am »

I never really got into the Gothic series but this is one of the better RPGs I've played in a while.

Crap reviews. Positive surprise. Excellent game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:10:32 am »

Someone want to post links and/or screenshots?  I'm interested in having a look at this one.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:23:32 am »

I can actually arrange a livestream for that, talk to me at IRC.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:29:28 am »

So the game's apparently getting terrible reviews for the most part.  No surprise there.  People keep comparing it to Oblivion...

"Oh my god!  How am I supposed to find anything without a magic compass pointing directly towards it!?!?"
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:39 am »

So the game's apparently getting terrible reviews for the most part.  No surprise there.  People keep comparing it to Oblivion...

"Oh my god!  How am I supposed to find anything without a magic compass pointing directly towards it!?!?"

I never understood that.
What is everyone supposed to be, a fucking wizard or something?
Like gods, have they ever tried LOOKING AROUND?

All these people want an easy, short, shallow game with flashy "oMgawd GFX!!".
How about this, I make a game for them with amazing graphics. I'll even make it so that they don't need to do anything, the game will play itself.

Know what I just created? A MOVIE.

Back on topic..
So, it's good, yes?
I never played Gothic, so what's it like?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:20:29 am »

To quote Shamus Young: ""Players are lazy and want the game content handed to them on a silver platter", is the usual gripe. Which sort of introduces the question as to why this is a bad thing. We're here to be entertained, after all."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:36 am »

To quote Shamus Young: ""Players are lazy and want the game content handed to them on a silver platter", is the usual gripe. Which sort of introduces the question as to why this is a bad thing. We're here to be entertained, after all."
Have fun.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:58 am »

Hmm I've got a feeling I won't beable to play this game... but I guess thats what the demo is good for.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »

Weird that reviewers have such gripes. God gaming is becoming so shallow.

Edit: Just checked Metacritic, 79% overall isn't bad at all, especially for what is ostensibly a low budget game
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:13:20 pm by Tilla »

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:50 pm »

When I first started playing the game, I was turned off by how the engine/textures of the game just seemed recycled from Gothic 3. Then I noticed how pretty much everything was recycled.

I mean, Risen's okay. The quests are okay, but... It just seems like -too- much of a Gothic game. I wish the developer's could pretend for a second that they were making something else. Were they in the process of making Gothic 4, then suddenly decided to try something "new"?

They didn't make it new enough. They should've just called it Gothic 4. =_=

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »

@ Croquantes:

As I said before, Risen is basically the spiritual successor to Gothic 1 and 2. The look of the game is definitely very similar to Gothic 3 (in terms of the engine used, not necessarily the scenery itself), and the producers (Piranha Bytes) didn't make any attempt to hide this. In fact, it's very, very plain from the entire game that it's meant to have a Gothic-esque 'feel'.

The reason for this, as I understand it, is that JoWood didn't like the job PB did on Gothic 3 (can't say I blame them) and have dropped them from making Gothic 4. Risen is PB's way of 'realizing' what they actually wanted G3 to play like. From the wikipedia entry:

It is to be noted that the game has garnered positive points opposing to Piranha Bytes' previous title, Gothic 3 which received poor reviews for its pervasive bugs and unrealized gameplay. IGN noted that "It's quite a recovery for Piranha Bytes from the technical mess that was Gothic 3" and that "Piranha Bytes redeems itself with this standout role-playing experience".

So yeah, if you didn't like the Gothic series - you won't like this game. Plain and simple. The quest style, exploration style, dialogue style - basically everything - is unabashedly supposed to be the same. So expecting different is probably just an exercise in masochism.

ETA:

I should add, however, that Risen's gameplay experience is by far superior to G3's in terms of enjoyability even if they are based on the same engine.

ETA v2.0:

I should also add that I'm not trying to be a fanboy here. I am definitely NOT a PB fanboy (I thought G3 sucked). But this is the first commercial CRPG I've enjoyed in a long while, so I'm still excited.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:22:09 pm by Lord Dullard »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »

Well I'm playin' SQO right now, but I really want to have a try at Risen.
I really liked Gothic 2 (was actually one of the first RPG games I played on the PC, so), I got gothic 3 and even with the community patches, the game was really slow.
My PC sucks, Athlon 64, 1gb ram and 6600GT. But it was enough to run it on "low" at least...took ages on load screen, many lags, and sudden crashes. Pisses me off.

But I'm hearing a lot of good things from Risen, and my uncle (the one who presented me to the gothic series) also said I should get it.

Makes me think, makes me drink
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2