Port to OSX
- 7 (8.4%)
Printing
- 0 (0%)
Other: Describe in new post
- 6 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?  (Read 7429 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: What's next for Dwarf Therapist?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:21 pm »

The manager (like most of DF interface) is so bad it would needs a WHOLE new external tool on the scale of DTherapist to make it usable.  In fact I doubt the DF code can even support a sensible manager at this point as it probably riddled with hard-coded limitations and oversights.

BTW chmod, how are things going with the Military work, any kind of ETA for next release?
So weird you just asked. I just committed code for the following:
  • Group by squad
  • Active Military dwarf names are prefixed with "[M]" so you can spot them more easily (will be an icon some day)
  • Weapon Choice columns (you can choose unarmed through sword per dwarf)
  • Armor, Shield, and Num Weapons columns (super ugly as the current value hides the skill)
    For instance if you have a dwarf that is set to wear Chain with an armor skill of 8, the cell shows "C" and you can only see the "8" in the tooltip :/

None of the military info is shown in the details pane yet. I'd like to add that before releasing. Also each dwarf's detail pane should show a link to their squad-members or squad leader depending on the case.

Here's a shot I took a few minutes ago...

As you can see I had to add skill columns for Shield and Armor skills next to the actual choice columns. So "Armor User" is showing the skill, and "Armor Level" is showing "C" for chain, "P" for plate and so on...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:23:09 pm by chmod »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 02:17:29 am »

Looks great, I'd also recommend the "Idle" column should be named "activity" and if its possible to add "Soldiering" and "Sparring" as activities, that would also be a great way to find your usable soldiers more effectively.  And I presume we will be able to sort by active military status as well, hopefully something more elegant then the [M] can be done in the future, perhaps making the name appear in Red or in Bold would be better.

P.S. Crossed wooden swords icon for sparring, a bloody axe for Soldiering
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

Looks great, I'd also recommend the "Idle" column should be named "activity" and if its possible to add "Soldiering" and "Sparring" as activities, that would also be a great way to find your usable soldiers more effectively.  And I presume we will be able to sort by active military status as well, hopefully something more elegant then the [M] can be done in the future, perhaps making the name appear in Red or in Bold would be better.

P.S. Crossed wooden swords icon for sparring, a bloody axe for Soldiering
The "Idle" column can be called whatever you want (like all columns these days) But the default is "Current Job" now. I did add a crossed-swords icon for soldier-related things (sparring, archery practice etc...) however there is no "soldiering" job that I've been able to find. Very weird.

You can now group by squad, and soldiers get bolded names. I'm just about done with this one, and hope to release tomorrow. I just need to come up with a good way to add new views in new releases without destroying ones the user may have customized.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:42 am »

Latest version is up, featuring the vote-winning military features. Enjoy. Check my sig for links.

Angellus

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:55 am »

yay! :D

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:19 pm »

Any impressions of the new military features? I guess since there are no bugs filed against it, it's 100% of what people wanted and works flawlessly  ::)

But seriously, any impressions?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:46 pm »

I've got to say, I actually just haven't gotten to filing a bug yet, as I'm not sure of the exact steps to reproduce it, but I think if you change a Dwarf's weapon preferences before actually making them active in the military, they'll just ignore the weapon preferences.  May in fact be a DF bug.  I tend to just run with traps, little to no military.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »

I think for once no news is good news, I'm quite happy with the military interface, I'll try to come up with some nit-picks you you really must have them.

First nit-pick - I don't see any point to including a limited group of Traits on the Military page, most Traits don't DO anything (which is typical of DF) and none of them affect military in any way (sad isn't it, the idea of selecting your soldiers based on bravery or intelligence and having this affect how they fight would be awesome).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

I think for once no news is good news, I'm quite happy with the military interface, I'll try to come up with some nit-picks you you really must have them.

First nit-pick - I don't see any point to including a limited group of Traits on the Military page, most Traits don't DO anything (which is typical of DF) and none of them affect military in any way (sad isn't it, the idea of selecting your soldiers based on bravery or intelligence and having this affect how they fight would be awesome).
Some traits indirectly have something to do with military. Like "Takes a long time to make decisions" etc... But I put them in there more to show users that you can customize the hell out of the views, and make whatever you like.

But thanks for the feedback! It's just weird to see 800+ downloads of a new version and not hear anything :)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 11:19:16 am »

But thanks for the feedback! It's just weird to see 800+ downloads of a new version and not hear anything :)

At least two of those is me. I run at both work and home and starting DT it reminds me there is a new version so I downloaded it and thought 'oh I'll install this after I finish playing today'. So far I've yet to get around to installing it. :( sorry.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Angellus

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2009, 09:12:34 am »

I've downloaded it too, but did not play DF for the past 1 1/2 month or so :)

Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.

Which mod to take, which mod to take, Dig deeper, Civ Forge or Dark Dwarves...? XD

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:35 am »

I tried it, but for some reason, army gui in df feels better - unlike labors, you see everything at once, so changing weapon preferences/armor preferences is not as much problem and not really worth switching to external program for. But again, I did not use it when building new army, so i have not felt usefulness itself.

Real issue with military is keeping equipment updated, which consists of this sequence:

1) Change weapon preferences to unarmed, armor level to none.
2) Forbid lowend weapons, permit best weapons.
3) Change weapon preferences back
4) Wait for dwarves to pick equipment.
5) Unforbid whatever was left over.

What I am pointing at is the fact that item management would be great addition to 'therapy' - ability to sort stocks list by quality. Ability to group items by quality/type and to global dump/forbid/melt operations on that group.
Pages: 1 2 [3]