Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471440 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #1935 on: January 18, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »

I find that do unto others as they do unto you is generally best. But then again, I am weird, and nobody likes it when I treat them in the manner that I want to be treated...

Chances are, if two people meet in the street, and one says "Oh, its you." and the other says "what have you been doing?" they would both be happier if they had met their own speech...
I just thought of something:

"Do unto others as you would like done to you. Unless you're a masochist, then don't."
Like I said, "Do as done" is a reactive personality. A justified attack by repetition of personality or method of doing in "return to sender" format, of course, in your style.

Basically, you hit me, I hit you in return in my way. You scratch my back, I scratch yours. Chances are, the impact you would deliver can be better/worse than what was delivered to you initially. Something to keep note of. Not all people react good to good things, not all react bad to bad things. Sometimes I even take a direct insult as a compliment.

To prevent being a complete asshole with that, there's the occasional proper quote following instead of this method. But these days, charity is only given provided the tragedy is a public matter. Reason anyone would react to those would be because they want to keep an image they put out as a charitable being, even if in reality, they are not. To save face is a motivator for most people to be charitable these days.

Simply, in manner of troping, Humans are bastards.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:12:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 18, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »

Christ. I clicked the link. I'm gonna be out of commish for the next six hours.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:59 pm »

I have a rather severe point of view on humanity.
The truth of the matter is that honor and chivalry is dead, and always being nice and kind with get you screwed up the ass repeatedly.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:07 pm »

But being a jerk all the time makes you a social pariah and human interaction is pretty much innate.

At that rate, how you interact with other people stems from the people you interact with.

If you grew up with people who acted like jerks around you, chances are you act like an ass to them too.

Being nice all the time is something you actually have to strive for. But if the situation calls for actually being pleasant to someone chances are they did something to deserve a bit of civility.

If not, stay the course, cynics.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 18, 2010, 09:59:44 pm »

I find that blindly trusting people makes you actually less likely to get fucked over. Sure, it still happens, but there's people like that. Seriously, if you get a rep as being honest, people would bend over backwards for you. Metaphorically... though possibly Physically  too.

Mmm... Yeeeahhh.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1940 on: January 18, 2010, 10:04:15 pm »

I got sucked into it as well. Took me an hour to get out.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: January 18, 2010, 10:04:49 pm »

Bleh, I always "Do unto others as I would have them do unto me." But for some reason everybody else refuses to leave me alone... If I wanted to be social I would not wear a T-shirt saying "You read my T-shirt, that's enough social interaction for one day"!

I got sucked into it as well. Took me an hour to get out.
same here.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: January 19, 2010, 12:18:33 am »

I just spent a good 30 minutes reading the humans are bastards trope page.

I'm actually sad now.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:36 am »

I'm actually sad now.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HeartwarmingMoment/RealLife

That oughtta cheer ya up.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:42 am »

Thanks!

*X's out happy page, causing Humans are bastards page to come back up*

Fuuuck.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:45:50 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 19, 2010, 05:01:00 am »

The truth of the matter is that honor and chivalry is dead, and always being nice and kind with get you screwed up the ass repeatedly.

The question is whether chivalry as we understand it has ever existed. It's a high ideal, and I doubt that anyone outside of fiction has truly managed to live up to it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:07 am »

I'm actually sad now.

I admit, I had a twinge.

It was promptly obliterated about seven seconds later by the usual contempt/hatred.

The question is whether chivalry as we understand it has ever existed. It's a high ideal, and I doubt that anyone outside of fiction has truly managed to live up to it.

The only people I have seen try were all rather quickly ground into the mud by the people with a more wretched outlook.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 19, 2010, 05:40:58 am »

I believe that the feminists killed modern-day chivalry.

I also believe that modern-day chivalry is a far different thing from the original concept.

And I believe that all humans are bastards

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:35 am »

I find that do unto others as they do unto you is generally best. But then again, I am weird, and nobody likes it when I treat them in the manner that I want to be treated...

Chances are, if two people meet in the street, and one says "Oh, its you." and the other says "what have you been doing?" they would both be happier if they had met their own speech...
I just thought of something:

"Do unto others as you would like done to you. Unless you're a masochist, then don't."
Like I said, "Do as done" is a reactive personality. A justified attack by repetition of personality or method of doing in "return to sender" format, of course, in your style.

Basically, you hit me, I hit you in return in my way. You scratch my back, I scratch yours. Chances are, the impact you would deliver can be better/worse than what was delivered to you initially. Something to keep note of. Not all people react good to good things, not all react bad to bad things. Sometimes I even take a direct insult as a compliment.

To prevent being a complete asshole with that, there's the occasional proper quote following instead of this method. But these days, charity is only given provided the tragedy is a public matter. Reason anyone would react to those would be because they want to keep an image they put out as a charitable being, even if in reality, they are not. To save face is a motivator for most people to be charitable these days.

Simply, in manner of troping, Humans are bastards.

I've had that belief in mind since about 5th grade. I'm surprised people find this amazing.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:06 am »

I'm rolling my eyes really hard right now.  I have grown up believing that other people being a dick does not give you the right to be a dick back.  It's served me well.  Misanthropy is how people hide that they really don't like being lonely.

As for TVTropes, it kind of feels like a fanboy circlejerk sometimes, so I've never really been sucked into it.

On the internet, of course, all of this stuff changes.  You mess with me in an online game, and I'm hunting your character down.

Made me sad:  I had a dream that I watched New Moon and it was awesome.  Edward was a real vampire, with crazy powers like turning into sand and shooting black fire at people, and there were guys with guns fighting him.  Then I woke up and remembered it was a sappy chauvinist love story, and was sad.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 8167