Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471914 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #1875 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »

OH NOES! PEOPLE AGREEING WITH EACH OTHER!

IT IS A COMSPERASY!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:15:49 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #1876 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »

I was referring to the weirdly close-knit social group that seems to have evolved on this particular forum (no, not a conspiracy, but definitely a clique). Which is all well and good, and we all need groups of friends. I wouldn't even take issue with it, except this is about the third time I've been dogpiled by about half of you at once for disagreeing with you just a little. Under such circumstances it's very easy to get frustrated and defensive.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »

Were not ganging up on you because were friends, were ganging up on you because we all hold the same opinion.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »

I'm agreeing with you, Dullard. Or at least my opinion is close enough.

Although I guess what I consider close enough is far enough for some people, because I think I agree with Jackrabbit too...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:36:01 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 17, 2010, 10:34:24 pm »

If it helps, I would have disagreed with you even if I didn't know anyone here.

You're in the minority, that's all.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:49 pm »

Oh noes. I left for half an hour and when I got back I had started an argument.

Before I go further, I would just like to say I don't think you're flipping out nor am I trying to gang up on you LordDullard, I just have pent up rage on the subject completely independent of your expressed viewpoint.

Clearly, the fact that our hypothetical poor person is selling the TV makes the fact that they realize this bit of divine logic self-evident.

But what, you're seriously saying they were never entitled to buy it in the first place? What if they lost their job and suddenly had to do it to make sure they could go on? What if they were selling it so that their kid could make their rent or afford books for college?

The problem here is not poor people getting nice things, it's poor people getting nice things when there's no way they can afford it, because the end result is no nice things anyway. I'd feel empathy if this person was a little more careful with their money, and if that was the case, I wouldn't need to feel empathy.

Wow, you guys are being amazingly narrow-minded.

Here, I'll sum up your logic for you in one sentence so you can understand why it's both flawed and slightly offensive:
ALL PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS IN PAWN SHOPS EITHER STOLE THEM OR ARE POOR DUMBASSES WITH NO ABILITY TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES, AND THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THEY COULD HAVE A LEGITIMATE EXPLANATION FOR WHY THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING THEY OWN - THEY ARE CLEARLY JUST STUPID.

(Already conveniently bolded for emphasis)
Pawning =/= selling. Pawned items are collateral taken on a loan, only if the customer is unable to pay does it become the property of the pawn shop. So basically, this person buys a TV for roughly a grand, pawns it for $200, pays $60/month interest for a while until they can afford to get it out again (because, seriously, who'd lose a 50'' for $200 amirite?), end up getting it out after having paid more than the initial loan amount in interest alone, and they haven't been able to use their fancy TV for that period of time anyway. When they could have just bought a 32'' TV, saved $400, not gone into debt, kept their TV the entire time, and not gotten nailed on hundreds in interest. And I'm not talking trust fund babies here, I'm talking about welfare babies. It's a whole lifestyle.

Trust me, I'm a professional. This shit is stupid.

Not everybody who pawns fits into this template, but a good majority do, in my (albeit not very classy) town, at least.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:48:14 pm by kinseti »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »

I'm bored outta my mind! D:
No internet, no cable, no phone...
Sister is letting me use her laptop, right now, but she's taking it back and I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #1882 on: January 17, 2010, 10:38:05 pm »

I wouldn't even mind the disagreement, if you'd (meaning the group) let people have polite discourse with you, or concede once in a while that you might be slightly wrong. I mean, my OP wasn't even something that needed to be argued with - all I said was 'all people who sell things in pawn shops are not necessarily fiscal idiots'. This isn't even something that needs to be argued, it's just a plain fact. There are probably tons of currently rich people who've sold things in pawn shops when they were down on their luck.

I didn't want to point out the elephant in the room for the sake of social politeness, but really, guys, please tone it down just a little. Especially rude are the smarmy half-concealed insults.

@Dullard (*snicker*).

It's really, really made me consider leaving here a couple times. I'm totally cool with your group of friends and I actually like quite a few of you, as well as I can like people I don't really know over an internet forum. But this is getting to be kind of overmuch.

Before I go further, I would just like to say I don't think you're flipping out nor am I trying to gang up on you LordDullard, I just have pent up rage on the subject completely independent of your expressed viewpoint.

I actually never got the same impression from your posts that I'm getting from the ones mentioned above.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:39:40 pm by Lord Dullard »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 17, 2010, 10:40:30 pm »

Yes, several of the people who dogpiled you I would not consider to be my super-awesome forum-brosephs and brosephinas.

Jack.  Change the desktop background to a picture of a biohazard sign.

Scramble the letters on all her icons.

Take a screenshot of the whole thing and make it the desktop background.

Slide the taskbar down so it's no longer visible, and remove all the icons.

When she comes to take it back, tell her it has a virus, and she should be more careful.  Make sure she thinks she got it on there, and tell her you can fix it.

Get a few more hours while she waits for you to fix it.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 17, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »

I have never e-fist bumped Cthulhu. Ponder this.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 17, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

Oh noes. I left for half an hour and when I got back I had started an argument.

Clearly, the fact that our hypothetical poor person is selling the TV makes the fact that they realize this bit of divine logic self-evident.

But what, you're seriously saying they were never entitled to buy it in the first place? What if they lost their job and suddenly had to do it to make sure they could go on? What if they were selling it so that their kid could make their rent or afford books for college?

The problem here is not poor people getting nice things, it's poor people getting nice things when there's no way they can afford it, because the end result is no nice things anyway. I'd feel empathy if this person was a little more careful with their money, and if that was the case, I wouldn't need to feel empathy.

Wow, you guys are being amazingly narrow-minded.

Here, I'll sum up your logic for you in one sentence so you can understand why it's both flawed and slightly offensive:
ALL PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS IN PAWN SHOPS EITHER STOLE THEM OR ARE POOR DUMBASSES WITH NO ABILITY TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES, AND THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THEY COULD HAVE A LEGITIMATE EXPLANATION FOR WHY THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING THEY OWN - THEY ARE CLEARLY JUST STUPID.

(Already conveniently bolded for emphasis)
Pawning =/= selling. Pawned items are collateral taken on a loan, only if the customer is unable to pay does it become the property of the pawn shop. So basically, this person buys a TV for roughly a grand, pawns it for $200, pays $60/month interest for a while until they can afford to get it out again (because, seriously, who'd lose a 50'' for $200 amirite?), end up getting it out after having paid more than the initial loan amount in interest alone, and they haven't been able to use their fancy TV for that period of time anyway. When they could have just bought a 32'' TV, saved $400, not gone into debt, kept their TV their entire time, and not gotten nailed on hundreds in interest. And I'm not talking trust fund babies here, I'm talking about welfare babies. It's a whole lifestyle.

Trust me, I'm a professional. This shit is stupid.

Not everybody who pawns fits into this template, but a good majority do, in my (albeit not very classy) town, at least.

Hey, I learned something new! I've never been to a pawn shop before, so I didn't know how they actually worked.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 17, 2010, 10:48:05 pm »

D:

Oh no, I shouldn't have said that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 17, 2010, 10:48:41 pm »

I have never e-fist bumped Cthulhu. Ponder this.

Respeck knuckles are being delivered.  Engage receiving device.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 17, 2010, 10:49:58 pm »

*fist bumps Cthulhu*

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:44 pm »

I'm sad because I just saw Jackrabbit practice fisting on Cthulhu.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 8167