Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472487 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #1860 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »

Wow. If somebody pawns a bigscreen LCD TV the first thing you'd assume is that they stole it?

Are these the kind of things people who have just never been in desperate situations say? Trust fund baby logic? I'm not sure, but generally people who pawn things like that probably didn't steal them, since pawn shops tend to require fingerprints and whatnot.

Perhaps the urge to buy huge things they can't afford is the reason they have to pawn stuff in the first place.
<Sarcasm>It's true, poor people shouldn't have nice things. It's not like a shaky economy could be the culprit or anything.</Sarcasm>

Not to be the wet blanket, but... sheesh, people. Use a little empathy.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:53 pm »

Perhaps the urge to buy huge things they can't afford is the reason they have to pawn stuff in the first place.
<Sarcasm>It's true, poor people shouldn't have nice things. It's not like a shaky economy could be the culprit or anything.</Sarcasm>

If you have to pawn your TV to pay your bills, YOUR NOT RICH ENOUGH FOR A BIG SCREEN.
That's very profound. I might sig that, actually.

This would make me so happy...

HOLY SHIT I JUST GOT SIGGED FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I'M POSTING IN THE WRONG THREAD.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:54:23 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 17, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »

To be human is to desire huge unnecessary shit you can't afford.
Well said sir.

Yeah, I have that urge. I also have more than 20 minutes of foresight, so I don't let it drive me into a spiral of debt. People are stupid. That is my point, I guess. People are stupid and it makes me sad.

pawn shops tend to require fingerprints and whatnot.
Really? We just use on-site DNA samples and retina scans. Or a drivers license. Whichever is easier. Do pawn shops seriously use fingerprints someplace?

sheesh, people. Use a little empathy.
Empathy is how they get ya. I was perfectly happy until I started viewing these people as people.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:03 pm »

The problem here is not poor people getting nice things, it's poor people getting nice things when there's no way they can afford it, because the end result is no nice things anyway. I'd feel empathy if this person was a little more careful with their money, and if that was the case, I wouldn't need to feel empathy.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 17, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »

If you have to pawn your TV to pay your bills, YOU'RE NOT RICH ENOUGH FOR A BIG SCREEN.

Clearly, the fact that our hypothetical poor person is selling the TV makes the fact that they realize this bit of divine logic self-evident.

But what, you're seriously saying they were never entitled to buy it in the first place? What if they lost their job and suddenly had to do it to make sure they could go on? What if they were selling it so that their kid could make their rent or afford books for college?

The problem here is not poor people getting nice things, it's poor people getting nice things when there's no way they can afford it, because the end result is no nice things anyway. I'd feel empathy if this person was a little more careful with their money, and if that was the case, I wouldn't need to feel empathy.

Wow, you guys are being amazingly narrow-minded.

Here, I'll sum up your logic for you in one sentence so you can understand why it's both flawed and slightly offensive:
ALL PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS IN PAWN SHOPS EITHER STOLE THEM OR ARE POOR DUMBASSES WITH NO ABILITY TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES, AND THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THEY COULD HAVE A LEGITIMATE EXPLANATION FOR WHY THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING THEY OWN - THEY ARE CLEARLY JUST STUPID.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:24 pm »

Wow. If somebody pawns a bigscreen LCD TV the first thing you'd assume is that they stole it?

Are these the kind of things people who have just never been in desperate situations say? Trust fund baby logic? I'm not sure, but generally people who pawn things like that probably didn't steal them, since pawn shops tend to require fingerprints and whatnot.

I'm Cthulhu, empathy is a strange and backward concept to me.
Shoes...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:37 pm »

Yes. Exactly.[/stupid]

Now.  Are you willing to calm down, and talk rationally? Because the big guns just arrived. *points to head*

NINJA CTHULHU!!!  THis post was @Dullard, up there.

EDIT: Dullard, yes. I see what you say. No reason to flip the fuck out. *snicker*.  Yes. People may have run into unforeseen circumstances beyond their control, although they shouldn't have been running the razors edge, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:04:25 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 17, 2010, 10:02:13 pm »

Now.  Are you willing to calm down, and talk rationally? Because the big guns just arrived. *points to head*

I am neither un-calm or talking irrationally. The fact that you don't agree with me is just biasing you.

My use of bold text was to try and hammer in the fact that an argument being made was really, really wrong. Emphasis =/= rage.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:04:17 pm by Lord Dullard »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 17, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »

When you don't have enough money saved to last you until you get a new job, your not financially secure enough to be spending THOUSANDS of dollars willy-nilly.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:59 pm »

Okay guys, time to stop harassing poor people that aren't here.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 17, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »

@realmfighter.  Yes.

@JoshuaFH.  Oh, that's a good one, old buddy.

@Dullard (*snicker*).  I do not not agree with you.

▼JACKRABBIT YOU ARE GENIUS
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:10:35 pm by zchris13 »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

ALL PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS IN PAWN SHOPS EITHER STOLE THEM OR ARE POOR DUMBASSES WITH NO ABILITY TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES, AND THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THEY COULD HAVE A LEGITIMATE EXPLANATION FOR WHY THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING THEY OWN - THEY ARE CLEARLY JUST STUPID.

Don't be narrow minded about this, that's not what I meant at all. Think rationally. If a person has to pawn a 50" LCD tv to pay their rent, what the hell were they doing buying one in the first place? I can accept that they're down on their luck, but they clearly didn't see this coming and they probably should have. The most likely situation (not necessarily the correct one) here is they mucked up with their finances. Also, I never said they were stupid. Just they needed to be more careful. There's probably a legitimate explanation, and it's probably "the rent jumped me this month".

And also, why are you asking me to feel empathy for someone with financial issues I've never met?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:09:16 pm by Jackrabbit »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 17, 2010, 10:11:29 pm »

Do pawn shops seriously use fingerprints someplace?
Michigan.

As far as this discussion goes, I give up. I've never hit such a bizarre wall of hive-mind before.

You guys creep me out.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:09 pm »

What? Halt and explain yourself, Lord Dullard.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:33 pm »

The horror.

Also, I'd run out of empathy about a quarter way through America.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 8167