Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8144 8145 [8146] 8147 8148 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9528259 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #122175 on: December 13, 2023, 04:56:09 am »

My eye surgery is at best delayed another year or so and at worst completely off the table. Was really looking forward to not needing glasses anymore as the current ones turned out to be especially uncomfortable.

Worse still, if what the doctor said was the case than the most likely cause for it is that I spend way too much time looking at shit up close (since I'm farsighted that most likely puts strain on the corrective muscles which in tun makes them stronger over time). And pretty much 90% of the stuff I do, be it for enjoyment or work needs looking at shit up close :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122176 on: December 13, 2023, 08:56:32 am »

Ah, classic scholar's eyes

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #122177 on: December 13, 2023, 11:52:10 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122178 on: December 14, 2023, 01:56:49 pm »

Why do companies not make the products I want to buy?

Especially for some Christmas gifts... specifically, my wife wants something and no version exists that doesn't require cloud connections or potentially some root modifications and linux/Android interfaces and we have none of that.

Where are all the companies willing to make Tons Of Money from the geeks who don't want everything cloud-connected!?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122179 on: December 14, 2023, 02:17:26 pm »

As part of a tech company that made the move to cloud-hosted services from client-hosted services...

You have so many benefits as the vendor from maintaining cloud access. People can't as easily modify your software because it's run from the cloud. You can easily control access for non-payment and what have you by doing it through the cloud. You don't generally have to worry about the physical environment your app is running on (if their version of whatever is outdated, that's a them problem. Versus having to troubleshoot and support every possible iteration of physical environments customers might have.) You can centrally administrate and troubleshoot everything that's running off the cloud versus a local installation.

I'm not going to say cloud-hosted is a win for everyone. You're releasing control over your own product and putting yourself at the mercy of the vendor. For the vendor though it's a very beneficial arrangement. I used to have 50+ customers each with their own windows server environment spanning 20 years of Windows versions. Supporting them was a logistical clusterfuck. Dealing with their data required a physical connection to their environment to do anything.

Now that we're largely cloud hosted I have access to all their data at my finger tips and don't have to maintain server connections or call people or do remote networking....

Not to mention all the other benefits for the vendor like capturing email addresses and all that valuable user data.

I'm sure to the end user it's like "I don't want to sign up for another fucking account/relinquish control over my apps" but that's half the story.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122180 on: December 14, 2023, 02:46:32 pm »

Oh I know why companies do this.  That's why it makes me sad.

Spoiler: A related soapbox (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122181 on: December 14, 2023, 03:10:12 pm »

I mean, you're preaching to the choir.

I don't need my fridge to tell me it's time to get more milk. I don't need my fridge telling some server somewhere what I buy so I can have more ads shoved at me.

Smart appliances are a convenience at the price of complexity AND security. "Oh I want to turn my lights on from my phone when I'm not home." Well, congratulations, you can but now you have all this additional complexity and risk to account for because you're transmitting information over the internet that directly ties to your personal identity and/or your wifi network. That's why the updates exist, because every day bad actors are finding ways to intercept those connections, steal user account data and get into your system simply so they can sell your name, phone#, email and home address on the Dark Web to hackers so they can in turn phish you for your CC/bank account information/get you to buy gift cards.

It's tempting to lay the blame on the vendor for over-complicating things. But the simple fact of the matter is: if you're communicating on the internet then there are dozens if not hundreds of vulnerabilities that are discovered every year and need to be patched.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122182 on: December 14, 2023, 06:27:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I see our Captain's got the new lasik

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122183 on: December 15, 2023, 04:38:04 am »

I have yet to see a reason to need a smart appliance, why would I need a fridge that has all that computer stuff in it when a cheaper one that doesn't have that stuff works just as well.

Also what movie is that GIF from?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #122184 on: December 15, 2023, 06:50:40 am »

I think it's from Event Horizon, if my memory serves me
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122185 on: December 15, 2023, 07:34:11 am »

Yes Event Horizon. It’s a good sci-fi suspense/horror movie.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122186 on: December 15, 2023, 09:00:30 am »

I've given up hope that they'll ever find the deleted footage though. Maybe it's in a top secret government archive somewhere

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122187 on: December 15, 2023, 12:24:23 pm »

I've seen a little of it. Maybe it's best if it remains cast into the Warp.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122188 on: December 15, 2023, 12:47:51 pm »

note to myself:

its 4:48
yesterday was formation
today is saturday
remember this before you go gaslighting yourself again
"actually it wasnt that bad"
yeah my, only want to die 2 days out of 7 instead of the other way around
its impossible to maintain mental hygiene in this empathy quicksand
serves you right for picking an "essential" job, looser
one step at a time
It's getting late but I'm allowed to celebrate small victories
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 10:57:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122189 on: December 16, 2023, 03:26:32 am »

I've given up hope that they'll ever find the deleted footage though. Maybe it's in a top secret government archive somewhere
Haven't seen that move in quite awhile, also wasn't aware that there was cut footage that was lost.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 8144 8145 [8146] 8147 8148 ... 8169