Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8092 8093 [8094] 8095 8096 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9533847 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121395 on: January 03, 2023, 11:40:00 am »

Having a very high pain day. Not quite nuclear armageddon levels, like when I run out of pain meds, but still about 8.5/10. Had to take my cane for a walk for the first time in months, since I still have to physically deliver a paper check to my apartment's office for rent.

Not sure if it's all weather related or I'm just deteriorating again. Hopefully it's just rain and lack of appropriate physical activity. I can outwait one and outwork the other.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121396 on: January 03, 2023, 12:45:08 pm »

Ah shit, I wish you a steel resolve and painless rest. You able to get some physiotherapy or something? Some good, light exercises usually help me when I get this kind of stuff, sometimes you've overused a particular muscle group whilst underusing another one and this is a ticket to pain city

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121397 on: January 03, 2023, 01:03:11 pm »

I was dismissed by my last physical therapist because I already have all the technique-related tools to do any kind of rehab I could ever want to do. I just have to actually follow through and do it. I've been told by several doctors that once I start to actually recover from everything, I should probably become a personal trainer or go back into kickboxing/MMA in a coaching capacity.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121398 on: January 05, 2023, 04:48:42 am »

Iran's highest leader, the ayatollah Khameini, has summoned the French embassador to say that Iran will come with a 'strong reaction' because of the cartoons published in Charlie Hebdo magazine, showing the Ayatollah drowning in blood, grasping for a gallow's noose as if it were a lifebuoy. Another cartoon shows him being peed on by a woman wearing high heels, another one shows him being stoned to death by naked women.
The cartoons were made for a contest written out by Charlie Hebdo, to make cartoons to support the protests for women's rights and more general freedom, that are being subdued in bloody ways by the Iranian government.

The aytollah said that "The French government has crossed a line that we will not allow to be crossed".

<SIGH> when will those extremist buttmonkeys from religious dictatorships learn that that is not how it works in the Western world?
Our governments have no say about what an artist can publish in a magazine. We do not have state press control.
So yeah, the fucker can point at the French government all he wants. I hope they point and laugh at him in return.

Sadly this will probably mean that the Charlie Hebdo redaction will need to get protection and shelter again to protect against Iranian assassins.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121399 on: January 06, 2023, 03:53:07 pm »

Didn't they get attacked or bombed some years back because of a similar issue? Comics about Mohammad which they got upset about because (they claimed) he couldn't be portrayed visually?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121400 on: January 06, 2023, 05:29:44 pm »

One of the journalists was killed with a machete iirc
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121401 on: January 06, 2023, 05:34:46 pm »

There's been a few cases of that, yeah, though I don't remember if it was just those folks in particular or if they were just one of the ones that got the most news attention.

Visual depictions of the muslim prophet in particular (and extra especially demeaning ones) are considered fairly severe blasphemy among some islamic denominations, though, iirc. Not all of them (there's plenty of islamic groups out there that are chill about most stuff, all things considered), but some. There's pretty large sections of the religion that have a at-least-nominally strict religious strictures against non-simple/geometric art in general, on top of problems with certain sorts of music and whatnot.

Been long enough since I looked into it (i.e. it was back when I was taking some classes on philosophy of religion, over a decade ago) that I've forgotten why, exactly, but it's a genuine belief.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121402 on: January 07, 2023, 01:35:09 am »

Didn't they get attacked or bombed some years back because of a similar issue? Comics about Mohammad which they got upset about because (they claimed) he couldn't be portrayed visually?
IS attacked the Charlie Hebdo building a few years ago, killing 12 journalists. Most Charlie Hebdo journalists have been living non-lives in protective custody ever since

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121403 on: January 07, 2023, 02:24:30 am »

There's been a few cases of that, yeah, though I don't remember if it was just those folks in particular or if they were just one of the ones that got the most news attention.

Visual depictions of the muslim prophet in particular (and extra especially demeaning ones) are considered fairly severe blasphemy among some islamic denominations, though, iirc. Not all of them (there's plenty of islamic groups out there that are chill about most stuff, all things considered), but some. There's pretty large sections of the religion that have a at-least-nominally strict religious strictures against non-simple/geometric art in general, on top of problems with certain sorts of music and whatnot.

Been long enough since I looked into it (i.e. it was back when I was taking some classes on philosophy of religion, over a decade ago) that I've forgotten why, exactly, but it's a genuine belief.
I believe it's because it promotes idolatry. Muhammad in particular, because he was just a prophet and they seriously don't want to turn him into a Jesus-esque figure where they view him as part of, or superseding, Allah.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121404 on: January 07, 2023, 02:31:28 am »

I think somewhere in the Koran Muhammad says something about not wanting his image out there because then people start worshipping the image rather the ideals he was espousing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121405 on: January 08, 2023, 01:40:58 am »

Apparently wanting things taken off the walls of my own room turns into an hour-long discussion where she isn’t yelling, just ‘raising her voice’.

Spoiler: drama BS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:20:22 am by BlackFlyme »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121406 on: January 08, 2023, 11:35:44 am »

Last friday in Newport News, a town in the east of Virginia, a 6 year old boy shot his teacher after an argument.
The teacher, a woman in her thirties, is gravely injured. Her condition is stabilized accorgin to the latest update on the local police's website.
The police emphasizes that the shooting was not accidental, but a deliberate act after an altercation.

Authorities are now looking into how to best give the 6 year old boy the support and assistance that he needs. The boy has been in police custody since friday.

According to Viriginia's laws, the boy is too young to be sentenced to youth prison. Authorities are looking into the possibility of revoking the parents from custody.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121407 on: January 08, 2023, 09:35:30 pm »

Hmm my heart bleeds for you blackflyme. Is there any chance of offsetting your living cycle 8h? Like working when she is sleeping, sleeping when she is living, and living when she is working... something like that? Find a way to be on top of a few common  demands, sounds like you can't win but like, you can do something she said then when she finds a way to complain remind her that's what she said yesterday in the most non-chalant way possible, shrugging it off while redoing your earlier work as if A you don't understand what's the big deal is, here done see (dont actually say that) and B make it clear that you can't be gaslit you did totally say the opposite earlier tho, should have expressed yourself clearer then, I can't read minds sorta comments. (edit: if she then proceeds to allways instruct everything in excrutiating detail, allways act and never let her finish her sentences from the nanosecond on you got confidence you could finish her sentence)

In short if you can act in consequence instead of arguing back you should prioritize that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:40:47 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121408 on: January 09, 2023, 06:08:45 pm »

Trying to figure out how I'd feel about a US federal ban on gas stoves for cooking.

On one hand, burning gas has some side effects. On the other hand, cooking with electric sucks - at least for the range.  If they required electric oven I'd be ok, but nothing beats a gas range...

What makes me sad is potentially I'll have to put my money where my mouth is: am I willing to make personal sacrifices for the sake of others? Maybe it feels bad because this is someone telling me what sacrifice I must make, rather than making the choice myself?

The curious thing: the CPSC (consumer products safety commission) is using "prevent childhood asthma" as their argument instead of anything like reduce fossil fuel use or reduce CO2 emissions.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121409 on: January 09, 2023, 06:23:37 pm »

Ngl, in my experience the difference between gas and electric for cooking is, like... wildly overstated. I've cooked plenty with both, ate plenty of food cooked with both. It's maybe a bit better, sometimes, but most of the time for most dishes and most cooks there's just not actually a noticeable difference, and even when there is one it's not really that much of one. Electric stovetop cooks just about everything just fine, generally with less trouble and less likelihood of some kind of major screwup. It's not like they somehow make bad food just by dint of not having quite so finely controlled heating. They're still good cooking elements.

Part of me thinks the actual trick going on is the gas one takes more attention, more fiddly efforts; the folks cooking on it get more invested, have to pay more attention, so they feel like it's better just due to that. It's not so much a qualitative difference as a sunk cost effect.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8092 8093 [8094] 8095 8096 ... 8169