Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8058 8059 [8060] 8061 8062 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9539061 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120885 on: July 19, 2022, 06:20:06 am »

Netflix is caving and adding advertising, because apparently simply making a steady couple hundred million dollars a year is not good enough :(  Well, on top of poor business decisions to keep raising prices to fund risky content and losing to all the other diversified media companies *cough* Disney *cough*.

Advertising - just say no!

I really do think it was Disney that put the nail in Netflix's coffin.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120886 on: July 19, 2022, 06:24:52 am »

This is another one of those things where the company's interests and the shareholder's interests diverge, because the share price was based on the assumption of continual growth but Netflix has more competition, doesn't have the corona bumper subs, and has to contend with the fact that its subscribers are no longer tolerating the low quality of Netflix originals. So Netflix panicks because its leadership are also siginifcant shareholders who enjoy having high net wealth and they start making moves which will squeeze out growth in the short term whilst rotting the company from within in the long term

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120887 on: July 19, 2022, 06:32:36 am »

The first nail in Netflix's coffin was when every company under the sun realised they could get people to pay for their content rather than getting a lump sum to have it on another streaming service.

Of course, all tragedy-of-the-commons, because everyone started doing it piracy increased because it was no longer convenient or cheap to get all the stuff you wanted.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120888 on: July 19, 2022, 06:47:12 am »

Hey if you're not opposed to people seeing you as a balding, fat, bearded Swedish dude with a bad case of farmers tan I'll gladly pretend to be you and go in your stead, Solifuge. I promise I will only get inappropriately drunk and thrown out from one event, tops

I'm interested though, how does VR films work? Are you like a fly on the wall in the room, able to move around inside scenes and stuff?

When my gut get mad
And won't be still
I grab my box and i take out a pill
Of all the germs that make my stomach mill
You make my
Shitpill
Modern shakespeare

I'm glad someone appreciated it. I was very proud. L7 is truly the voice of our generation
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120889 on: July 19, 2022, 07:20:53 am »

Soon, a scene at the Venice festival:
- Hi, I'm Solifuge
- No, I'm Solifuge!
- Me and my wife are Solifuge!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120890 on: July 19, 2022, 08:37:31 am »

I've got a pretty common and androgynous name, so you can probably all fly under the radar if you aren't seen together. But you'll need to coordinate sharing a single Industry Pass, or help each other sneak past the gate. Which is very in character for me, so it's a good start!

Oh, and fun fact I forgot to mention; the film was funded as part of the *cough* Brexit Festival, so we had to comply with their UK-History-Wanking demands to use archival footage of Britain's Glorious Past... but we still managed to work within the letter of the law (using footage of pride marches and riots, insightful interviews with trans folks, Thatcher et al. being indefensible fashy homophobes, etc), to criticize the absolutely dogshit state of trans rights in the UK. So like, even if I can't go to the festival, it feels nice to have gotten that out there, and taken the British government's money to do it, haha.

I'm interested though, how does VR films work? Are you like a fly on the wall in the room, able to move around inside scenes and stuff?

Some people differentiate "VR Film" from "VR Experience", to describe the level of audience agency involved... but the line can be blurry in either case! Some are just animated shorts that can be explored and interacted with, or respond to where your head is looking. Others (like ours was) are meant to be experienced more like a traditional movie; you're placed into a 3D environment you feel present in, and you might get moved around a bit, or have to turn your head to follow things, but generally it's a linear film you're in the middle of.

There was another one a date took me to a few years back called "Terrain", where it was set in sort of a shattered underground parking lot, with busted, glitched out cement bits exploding into a dark space. If you followed the glitchy debris into the void, you'd see these giant bubbles in the distance; you could step into them, and each one was a short video; a pivotal moment from a handful of people's lives, projected on the inside of the bubble. As you explored, you could get a sense for the lives of these people, how their paths crossed and affected one another for better or worse, and all that. So it was a sort of... series of short non-linear films that tell a larger story together, framed within a surreal environment you could explore? And props to my date for picking it, because it's really stuck with me!

If you have access to a VR headset (or can make one out of a smartphone), it's *allegedly* possible to find La Biennale di Venezia's worlds on VR Chat still, or perhaps elsewhere online? If so, there's some really cool, experimental stuff there. I don't know if they'll be doing it again this fall, since everyone's pretending the Plague Times are over, but if they do, there's some very cool stuff there!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120891 on: July 19, 2022, 03:08:15 pm »

- Hi, I'm Solifuge
- No, I'm Solifuge!
Hi Solifuge!

I'm Pathos
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120892 on: July 19, 2022, 03:51:59 pm »

- Hi, I'm Solifuge
- No, I'm Solifuge!
Hi Solifuge!

I'm Pathos

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120893 on: July 20, 2022, 02:08:04 am »

Some people differentiate "VR Film" from "VR Experience", to describe the level of audience agency involved... but the line can be blurry in either case! Some are just animated shorts that can be explored and interacted with, or respond to where your head is looking. Others (like ours was) are meant to be experienced more like a traditional movie; you're placed into a 3D environment you feel present in, and you might get moved around a bit, or have to turn your head to follow things, but generally it's a linear film you're in the middle of.
That makes more since that what I thought it was, as I thought it was a regular move just made with VR stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120894 on: July 23, 2022, 07:20:33 am »

s
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:51:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120895 on: July 24, 2022, 10:39:04 am »

My dude, were you thinking: 'I'm afraid he'll overpower me in a fight'? Or was it: 'This is wrong, and I don't want to end up in prison'? Because I bet it was the latter. It was not the lack of courage that stopped you, is what I'm saying. It was an abundance of sense. The man sounds extremely difficult to live with, but that's not a reason to end him and throw your life away in the process. For all you know it would also scar for life those you love. Remember, you and your family are in a relationship with that person. Like all relationships, it can be severed. Why not start talking to your brother and your mum? Plan how to break up with the guy, rather than let yourself boil internally.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120896 on: July 24, 2022, 11:00:35 am »

I'm having one of those days where absolutely fuck all seems to go right.

Started off with waking up from a dream that gave me genuine full-blown gender dysphoria for the first time, and all went downhill from there.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120897 on: July 24, 2022, 02:10:43 pm »

If he's smart enough to know that he needs your mother to take care of him, he's smart enough not to beat your grandmother's daughter in front of her.

Your grandmother may have friends and resources but you're acting as though murder will have fewer consequences than, say, leaving some of your stuff behind in order to get away. This is incorrect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #120898 on: July 24, 2022, 04:56:24 pm »

Whenever I don't have anything to do, or have a plan to do something, I immediately default to depressed. This is exhausting.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120899 on: July 24, 2022, 07:17:01 pm »

If he's smart enough to know that he needs your mother to take care of him, he's smart enough not to beat your grandmother's daughter in front of her.

Your grandmother may have friends and resources but you're acting as though murder will have fewer consequences than, say, leaving some of your stuff behind in order to get away. This is incorrect.
No she doesn't, my grandmother, ever since my grandfather died, can only offer us shelter and sometimes money that my dad has no control over from her retirement fund. My mom vents to my grandmother about everything, she is the only outside of me and my two siblings she can confide in, she knows what's happening but she's old, and she's afraid of him too.
Had my grandfather still be alive, this would have been a different story, I wouldn't even be born, my mother was planning to leave but every time something got in the way that made her remain, this time it was my grandfather dying and then me being born.

Your mistake here is assuming that my father is rational specially when he is angry, he is not, he tried to kill my mother twice when he was drunk, the first time was never reported, the second time he got a slap on the wrist, he thinks he's invincible I'm sure he would go "if I can't have her no one can".

My mind being on murder is a thought I'm no longer indulging in, I know it is a horrible scenario for the people I'd be trying to protect by doing it, by murdering someone I'd be killing myself too, I don't truly know if I could do it.

please don't think I'm a monster.

EDIT: Looks like my prayers were answered, he came home sober.

Listen, vcd, you need to get out of there quick. The man is a ticking time bomb. Leave to your grandmother's. I know you're scared of him arriving there after you, but you can deal with that later. It is the safest option.

When you get to your grandmother's, alert the police that your father is a danger to you and your mother. Tell them he is not welcome there. Do not hesitate to defend yourself or your mother. You are not a monster to want to fight back.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 8058 8059 [8060] 8061 8062 ... 8169