Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8005 8006 [8007] 8008 8009 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500696 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120090 on: June 30, 2021, 10:37:48 am »

I知 almost 19, as in like less than a week, and I still can稚 draw. I知 just as scared as ever that I値l never be able to improve my drawing skills no matter how hard I try, no matter how many people say that drawing just comes with enough practice. This never feels like enough to justify posting on one of these threads, and I知 sure someone out there is tired of me doing this, but I think I need to venture here every now and then to keep myself sane.
You're not even nineteen. All the things which I consider myself good at matured over my early twenties. You have plenty of time.

I'd also say that drawing is (likely) your hobby. Try enjoying the act of doing it, rather than the end result. That's what'll keep you drawing and keep you improving.

Wait, you've got things you're good at? Multiple??!

Bruh this stinks, I need to review my life contract

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #120091 on: June 30, 2021, 10:42:20 am »

I'm sad because sometimes I feel I'm stupid and useless.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120092 on: June 30, 2021, 12:57:21 pm »

I'm back on the depression roller coaster. Feel down, steadily get worse, have a mental breakdown of some sort, then feel fine after. Then start feeling down again, steadily get worse, breakdown, rinse and repeat.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120093 on: June 30, 2021, 01:42:02 pm »

I知 almost 19, as in like less than a week, and I still can稚 draw. I知 just as scared as ever that I値l never be able to improve my drawing skills no matter how hard I try, no matter how many people say that drawing just comes with enough practice. This never feels like enough to justify posting on one of these threads, and I知 sure someone out there is tired of me doing this, but I think I need to venture here every now and then to keep myself sane.

Look man, I've had a crayon in my hand since as far as I remember, years upon years of practicing this noble art, and I still can't draw. But I stopped caring, because the beautiful thing is, by being constantly in this state of un-worthiness gives me the goal to pursue. I want to draw. I want to draw well. I want to be someday able to look back, and actually be satisfied. Still not there. I can vividly remember at the time of posting some of my old pics, the immense pride and confidence I had putting the stuff out. Guess what, it's trash. I wasn't able to see it then, but my outlook is firm - all that stuff's awful. I kinda hate it. All the old drawings, all the old posts venting, raving like a child I was, the confidence and pride is now guilt and shame, I hope you had at least a good laugh out of me. But I want to redeem myself. And the good thing is, despite how terrible my art is, there is progress. Looking back, there are improvements all the time, despite the non existence of quality. So there's hope. There is an evolution.

I don't want you to feel like I'm an angry P.E. teacher yelling at you to git gud and shoving my way down your throat, I'm merely telling you about my experience, and I hope you can find some encouragement in it. Oh, and don't feel bad about posting your frustration 'ere. That is all fine and well, just please... Don't do it in the way I used to.

Actually, what I used to do when feeling extremely down or fed up was draw. There's many ways how to let the emotion go, and art is a very good option. Those were probably my most competent works, though I've destroyed them all over time due to their excessive eldritchness and horror.

Yo as stated above, I'm also stupid and useless  :D I can definitely relate to that. But I don't believe you are. Tell that feeling to shut up and wipe the floor with it, or let me know and I'll call the boyz and we'll mug it or something.

I'm joking around, obviously, but I'm not sure what to say. It's good to have a proof that you aren't useless, then the feeling's invalid. And I'm sure the proof is out there, it just doesn't happen to be in sight in the darkest hours.

That actually reminds me of a sermon I've heard today, it was about a story from the Old Testament, about Ismael and Hagar. You know Abraham, right? Had two sons, Ismael born from a slave Hagar, from which Arabs derive their origin, and Isaac, which is an Israelite patriarch. And because it was deemed that Isaac is the one through which the prophecies and blessings promised to Abraham would come, Hagar and Ismael were driven away.

There's this tragic scene when they're in a desert, out of supplies, Hagar drops her son, walks away a few steps, and turns around, because she doesn't want to watch her child die, and weeps. Then an angel is sent to comfort her, she finds water, and they survive. And the point of the sermon was, it wasn't any spectacular miracle that saved her. It was her, encouraged by the heavenly messenger, opening her eyes, and seeing the well. The solution was there. But for the suffering and desperation, she couldn't find it initially.

Whether you're religious or not, I think that's a beautiful moral. Wish you can banish those bad feelings, Fox.

I'm back on the depression roller coaster. Feel down, steadily get worse, have a mental breakdown of some sort, then feel fine after. Then start feeling down again, steadily get worse, breakdown, rinse and repeat.

Lived through that at once point as well. Ultimately found hope in the fact it was cyclic, it would come and return over and over, but after some time I recognized the pattern and knew, however bad it was, it would end.

I know that's not very helpful, but I feel you. Let your emotions out occasionally, and try to maintain control. Again, I know it's much easier said than done. But I know you can do it, because ultimately, no one else can. Wish you luck, stay safe.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #120094 on: July 06, 2021, 10:50:04 am »

My dad lost a colleague to covid. One of those things where I'm not really sure what to do because I'm a heartless monster but I know other people aren't.

And rather trivially it happens to be on my birthday, which just... it was supposed to be at least an approximately nice day for everyone.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120095 on: July 07, 2021, 11:16:47 am »

Happy Birthday Arx.  I see you trying to sneakily sneak it by in the sad thread.

Anyway, I'm heading downwards. Feel like shit. Had awful dreams all night. Zero progress. Just less opportunity. My mental health thing hasn't as much as communicated a single word to me in over half a year now. They've probably given up too.
Love, scriver~

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120096 on: July 07, 2021, 12:16:53 pm »

It's an especially tough time for depression what with all the isolation and sickness and death...

But its not hopeless. It's hard, it sucks to reach out to other people for help. It sucks having to find someone to talk to you can trust, but it's worth the effort.  Don't give up on yourselves, none of you are worthless.  It's good to have support in online groups like bay 12, but for a lot of a people a real in person connection is much more effective. Don't feel like your problems are too insignificant, if it's impacting your quality of life it's significant.

Please, if you have the means, seek out treatment if you're feeling depressed or like you're worthless. It could just be talking to someone once every couple weeks, it could be pharmaceuticals, but you are worth the effort. I know how easy it is to let yourself down compared to someone else, but you all deserve the same compassion for yourselves you show to others.

It's so common for bright, thoughtful people to be really good at rationalizing their own unhappiness even where they would never be ok with it for someone else. Some sort of emotional version of dunning-kreuger.  You're not being selfish to address your own happiness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120097 on: July 07, 2021, 02:46:40 pm »

Anyway, I'm heading downwards. Feel like shit. Had awful dreams all night. Zero progress. Just less opportunity. My mental health thing hasn't as much as communicated a single word to me in over half a year now. They've probably given up too.

Shout louder at them for help, everyone is busy & struggling. They need to know that you need to be farther up on their triage. I haven't given up on you.

I've clearly picked up more mental health ~issues~ over the past year. It's hard to remember to just keep taking it one thing at a time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #120098 on: July 08, 2021, 12:31:36 am »

Yo as stated above, I'm also stupid and useless  :D I can definitely relate to that. But I don't believe you are. Tell that feeling to shut up and wipe the floor with it, or let me know and I'll call the boyz and we'll mug it or something.

I'm joking around, obviously, but I'm not sure what to say. It's good to have a proof that you aren't useless, then the feeling's invalid. And I'm sure the proof is out there, it just doesn't happen to be in sight in the darkest hours.

That actually reminds me of a sermon I've heard today, it was about a story from the Old Testament, about Ismael and Hagar. You know Abraham, right? Had two sons, Ismael born from a slave Hagar, from which Arabs derive their origin, and Isaac, which is an Israelite patriarch. And because it was deemed that Isaac is the one through which the prophecies and blessings promised to Abraham would come, Hagar and Ismael were driven away.

There's this tragic scene when they're in a desert, out of supplies, Hagar drops her son, walks away a few steps, and turns around, because she doesn't want to watch her child die, and weeps. Then an angel is sent to comfort her, she finds water, and they survive. And the point of the sermon was, it wasn't any spectacular miracle that saved her. It was her, encouraged by the heavenly messenger, opening her eyes, and seeing the well. The solution was there. But for the suffering and desperation, she couldn't find it initially.

Whether you're religious or not, I think that's a beautiful moral. Wish you can banish those bad feelings, Fox.
Late reply but... that's genuinely encouraging.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120099 on: July 10, 2021, 01:31:40 am »

Looks like my current (temporary) housemate will be going to Hawaii instead of spending more time here. Alone 'til August ...

Fuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120100 on: July 10, 2021, 06:56:36 am »

At least that means you can walk around naked during the heatmost period of the year.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120101 on: July 11, 2021, 01:08:55 am »

Yeah. I'm feeling some "maybe she doesn't like being around me, A Queer, although I tried not to show that" feelings which is honestly probably what's making me more upset than the actual prospect of isolation. But yes. I can walk around nekkid and play vidja in the front room for a bit longer.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120102 on: July 12, 2021, 07:42:07 pm »

Well, the depressioncoaster almost came to a permanent stop less than a week ago.

I'm finding some grim humour (When I'm not too exhausted/sad) in the fact that apparently I can't even die when people have been, are, and will be struggling to do the exact opposite.

Before someone inevitably tries to cheer me up, or send me a PM or something, I'm not in need of that. I'm in need of real-world... stuff rather than text on a screen. No offence, it's just that it's like it's not real to me. I'm struggling to get real-life interactions to mean something right now and a worded message, no matter how nice, won't cut through it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120103 on: July 12, 2021, 10:34:02 pm »

My cat has been very sick for a couple of months now and I'm starting to accept that he's not going to live much longer.

He's about eight years old and has been sick for seven of those years.  I first got him and his siblings when he was about a year old, because he'd gotten a bad sinus infection and my parents were going to be out of town and couldn't look after him.  I didn't think he was going to survive then, but after taking him to the vet and giving him the closest thing I could to intensive care at home, he eventually made a recovery.  He ended up blind in one eye and has had permanent sinus drainage that no vet was ever able to fix with any combination of medication.  I learned to live with it though and nicknamed him Sniffles.

What started with what I suspected to be a simple ear infection has gone on to be two months of giving him four different oral medications, some twice a day, with only brief periods of one to two days of any improvement in his condition amidst a general decline.  He's very lethargic now, eats very little and given that no medication has helped so far I have little hope that he'll recover.  He's scheduled for a CT scan in two days for possible nasal polyps causing the sinus drainage, but I'm not sure that even if it's confirmed that it would mean much.  I'm not sure he'd even survive surgery for it, and even if he did, I don't know if he'd recover from whatever else is going wrong with his sinuses and ears.

I'm trying to take some solace in that I've given him the best life I could for as long as I could, but it still hurts.  A lot.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120104 on: July 13, 2021, 09:50:25 am »

Tried contacts, my eyes didn't cooperate and I've been told if I want to try I'll have to keep practicing poking myself in the eye.

My depressive brain is, of course, seeing this as an absolute godawful turn of events. The fact that it's such a trivial thing doesn't make it better, all that does is make me feel worse over the fact that something so minor's having such a massive effect on my mood.

I fucking hate this shit. The sooner we can work out how to poke the brain in such a manner it starts actually functioning the better.
Pages: 1 ... 8005 8006 [8007] 8008 8009 ... 8168