Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7930 7931 [7932] 7933 7934 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9519423 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118965 on: October 31, 2020, 08:50:59 am »

I sure, "love" those people who hate others, over one aspect of their identity that doesn't make them a worse person, in fact probably a better one.

So one of the people I met seemed cool. They were a radical communist, but, that doesn't make someone bad itself. Talked to him/her for a bit, it was pleasant.

Then they found out I was a Buddhist, said something about "religion being the opium of the masses", insulted me repeatedly, and blocked me (this was on Discord). I, hate people like this, like, what the Hell is wrong with your head?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118966 on: October 31, 2020, 08:55:32 am »

snip
They're some combination of brainwashed, insane, and stupid. Yes people like this exist, sadly.

In other sad news, Sean Connery is dead.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118967 on: November 01, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »

My tortoise has some kind of growth on her neck. It's hidden by her shell so I only noticed it because it was bleeding a bit after she rubbed it, but it looks like it's been there a while.

I really really hope it's just an abcess or a cyst, but even those aren't good.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118968 on: November 01, 2020, 06:42:12 pm »

I just can not catch a fucking break, can I? See, I know people keep just saying bad luck does not exist and sure, as a rational thinking person sure I do not believe in such surpersticious crap.

But oh boy.... there is a point when things just are not coincidence anymore, when every fucking aspect of your life, every effort, every single and minute thing you do or have gets fucked at some level which varies from simple annoying stuff to catastrophic failure you really start to question...

Maybe all is indeed a simulation and Im getting the treatment DF nobles get? Geting showered in magma, while fartfetched would not surprise me the least at this fucking point.

Hell I need the angry thread, actually, you know what? Never mind guys, it is just old guy ramblings.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118969 on: November 07, 2020, 12:36:03 am »

Wow, life really kinda sucks lately.   

...That's all I got. I slept into the PM today and am exhausted. I lack the energy to put all the different facets of the shittiness into words. Hell, I have at least two apps on my phone that are basically designed for venting, yet that seems like too much effort so I'm just making a generic whiny shitpost here instead.   
At least I've been exercising a decent amount in the past few days, surprisingly enough. Also I have beer, but I don't think even that can pep me up today.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118970 on: November 07, 2020, 11:05:51 am »

What tends to help me in moments like that is listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118971 on: November 08, 2020, 02:35:19 pm »

Our kitten passed away this morning, wasn't even 6 months old. She died of liver failure. I was worried it was something we did like she ate medication or something, but we cleaned everything so none of that was laying around and the medication we have wouldn't have done that if it was just a couple she may have ate. But we are sure it wasn't even that cause our place was completely clean. But even from the first day we got her, she had bad health issues.

The emergency vet my dad took her to last night/early morning said it was likely her liver was bad from the day she was born, and that it was likely genetics. Its very sad. But I guess 1 out of 100 kittens can have problems and lead to the same conclusion. Don't think we ever had a kitten actually pass away on us. we've had sick kitties and one cat we had, had cancer but the vet didn't think we did anything, just how she was born. Doesn't make it any less sad though

Someone from the cat adoption place gave us flowers though, which is nice

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118972 on: November 10, 2020, 04:12:19 am »

I sure, "love" those people who hate others, over one aspect of their identity that doesn't make them a worse person, in fact probably a better one.

So one of the people I met seemed cool. They were a radical communist, but, that doesn't make someone bad itself. Talked to him/her for a bit, it was pleasant.

Then they found out I was a Buddhist, said something about "religion being the opium of the masses", insulted me repeatedly, and blocked me (this was on Discord). I, hate people like this, like, what the Hell is wrong with your head?

The irony is that this person really has the "holier than thou" thing going on. What they're doing is just the worst excesses of religion by another name. Well you could say they're not actually genociding people, but that's because they're just a single person. Get enough like-minded radical communists together and it's going to turn out toxic like any other large gathering of people who think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

EDIT: the shtick used here is that they used a platitude, ad hominems and refused to debate with you. The irony is that this is exactly how creationists argue with you if you believe in evolution. For example replace "religion being the opium of the masses" with "if we evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys? Checkmate atheists" and the rest of the story could be identical. In the opium of the masses thing, by saying that he's saying you're on drugs therefore he doesn't have to prove his statement true, and the basis of that is the statement itself: circular logic in other words, which creationists also love to use. Say for example I say that evolution says we came from monkeys therefore if you believe that, you're a monkey, and why would I believe anything a monkey says? Therefore evolution is false. That's about as valid an argument as his single "opium of the masses" argument for dismissing what you say.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:26:05 am by Reelya »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #118973 on: November 10, 2020, 04:50:51 am »

The irony is that this person really has the "holier than thou" thing going on. What they're doing is just the worst excesses of religion by another name. Well you could say they're not actually genociding people, but that's because they're just a single person. Get enough like-minded radical communists together and it's going to turn out toxic like any other large gathering of people who think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

I have this hypothesis where people after a certain age are assholes because of who they are, not who they worship (even if it isn't strictly a god per se). You don't need a book (religious or otherwise) to tell you to be an asshole, it sorta just "justifies" the assholery. People like that are good evidence of such.

Assholery is an equal-opportunity condition. That's why you have the Westboro Baptist Church on one end, a seething, hateful group that sees only evil in others, and then you have good and "normal" Christians, who tolerate and respect others for who they are. Assholery is not something a large group has as a whole. As you said, it's the individuals that gang up and form cliques of assholes that cause problems for the rest of the group.

My hypothesis states "after a certain age", though. That's because children are malleable. You can teach whatever you want to them, and they'll believe it. This is why you have children who say shit like "black people should go to hell" or "LGBT people should all die" on certain platforms intended for kids. The parents of such children (and probably their friends and bullies) have these horrible values that they end up passing on to their children. And that's really bad, because most of those kids will end up being future racists and homophobes (in other words, assholes) because they lack the ability to question what they've been taught.

Why do you think I'm asking questions about sexuality and gender in the Random questions thread? I'm trying to push against my upbringing. I realized that my parents would probably disown me if they knew my true sexuality, so I'm educating myself now so that I don't end up repeating this cycle of homophobia that's been going on for generations. I don't care that I have to tear down years of assumptions. I'd rather do that now than end up being an asshole to others later on, even if it is by accident.

And that's the saddest part. Most assholes don't even know that they're being assholes. They think they're being "cool" or "upholding tradition" or some shit like that. They don't understand that their beliefs are hurting others. Hell, I'm not discounting myself here. I'm sure I've been an asshole before, either here or elsewhere, and I deeply apologize for that. All I can do now is make peace with what I've done before, and move on, hopefully as a better person.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:58:25 am by methylatedspirit »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118974 on: November 10, 2020, 09:46:55 am »

Reelya and methylatedspirit ... well said.

We're all made from the same stuff... basically dirt.
Anyone that thinks they are better than anyone else, by thinking that, becomes worse than the target of that thought.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118975 on: November 10, 2020, 11:16:08 am »

Anyone that thinks they are better than anyone else, by thinking that, becomes worse than the target of that thought.
But what if the target is say, Hittler?

PS. This is not trolling, as amusing it migth seem.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118976 on: November 10, 2020, 11:45:25 am »

You're wrong and also worse than all of us for formulating this idea.

Therefore you'll be the first one into the hamburguer factory 🍔
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118977 on: November 10, 2020, 12:18:29 pm »

I tried to actually talk to a stranger today only for them to be wierded out and basically run away from me.

I tire of being me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118978 on: November 10, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »

Many people don't like talking to strangers in general.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118979 on: November 10, 2020, 12:22:19 pm »

Choose a dog walker and fuss over the dog?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7930 7931 [7932] 7933 7934 ... 8168