Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7927 7928 [7929] 7930 7931 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9520094 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118920 on: October 07, 2020, 09:49:27 am »

Yeah, 'tid sad.

Also, random note but you can make biodiesel out of algae.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118921 on: October 09, 2020, 05:37:53 pm »

A few things kinda coming together over the week. First, bunch of new orders came in, we're working every Saturday this month except one (because we're night shift that week which excludes us but it isn't much better tbh), it's not mandatory but it's assumed a shit thing to bail on since everyone else would presumably still work, except harder because there's one less guy to go around.
Second, finally, after almost a month managed to get the job interview (dude that was supposed to lead it got 'rona for a while there, finally recovered), was conducted on-line, went kinda eh as a bunch of things went wrong on my end (no webcam so I was forced to use one of the old laptops, ones used by my sister which are operated on the "use it until it breaks then move one to whatever is left, never bothering to maintain or fix" philosophy, one worked fine some 15 minutes before the interview and then decided to shit the bed, second one took 10 minutes to boot and then a light touch moved the power cable (battery died years ago) which shut the damn thing down. Was forced to scramble and use the tablet in a rather sub-optimal setup of stacked books to kind of keep it in place. What I learned from the interview tho was that they're looking for an exclusively managerial position, and I come from a more direct background, despite being well versed in all of the shit they're doing there, so I was honest, never did managing and always preferred working directly. Told me there might be teaching positions open for me eventually but the manager post obviously wasn't for me.
Thirdly, the girl I was kinda courting a while back (went on a date (which was fairly enjoyable I guess), tried arranging a second one, gave up after a few weeks of various excuses) posted a picture with what I guess is her boyfriend? Certainly looked like that, not sure why it hit me as hard as it did as I gave up on the whole thing a few weeks back, maybe I was subconsciously rooting for a comeback of some sort? Either way it was a final nail in the coffin of a potential relationship I guess, and coming at the heels of a shitty week it hit harder than it had any right to.
Fourth and I guess final, best friend sends me a voicemail, he's starting some sort of project with some other guys, wants me in as an artist. The same person I've failed so many times in said role that it's becoming a running gag at this point, still believes I can deliver, long after I stopped believing the same and it's fucking heartbreaking.
So yeah, here I am, feeling rather lonely with a beer and a sketchbook on a Friday night, considering the last few and the upcoming several months and wondering what the fuck to do.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118922 on: October 09, 2020, 07:10:13 pm »

Thirdly, the girl I was kinda courting a while back (went on a date (which was fairly enjoyable I guess), tried arranging a second one, gave up after a few weeks of various excuses) posted a picture with what I guess is her boyfriend? Certainly looked like that, not sure why it hit me as hard as it did as I gave up on the whole thing a few weeks back, maybe I was subconsciously rooting for a comeback of some sort? Either way it was a final nail in the coffin of a potential relationship I guess, and coming at the heels of a shitty week it hit harder than it had any right to.

I'd consider that one of the downsides of social media. At least back in the face to face days you'd never see that to start with.

Actually the whole thing of reading feeds of random people's shit is toxic by default. It's why I stopped using Facebook entirely. Before I stopped however, a good way off the cycle is to mute everything, unlike anything that pops up in your feed. You can get your feed down to basically nothing or just a small number of people, and at that point it becomes easier to just drift away from bothering to log in at all. This works better than having a full feed of stuff and trying to cold turkey to get away from it: aggressively curate your feeds so you have less stuff in there if you want to cut down.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118923 on: October 09, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »

The behavior of friending everyone we met and then just... leaving them as friends, AKA subscribers to a personal blog, sure had some weird side effects that weren't well understood.  At least by the users; it's debatable how much various tiers of designers and implementors understood.

Through innocent participation in social behaviors and a trendy system, I found myself as a voyeur on several people I'd lost personal contact with.  That was fucking weird, and even I could feel that.  People-watching is one thing in a public setting, this was something different - the system drove them to share more, and fed it to me.

It was building para-social relationships on the remains of real relationships.  Fuuuuuck that.

(Though I mostly left Facebook because my parents' generation started flooding it with the equivalent of chain-emails, also bad takes.)
(And a self-control problem which could have been *real bad* in a network tied to my meat identity)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118924 on: October 09, 2020, 08:11:53 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118925 on: October 10, 2020, 04:19:07 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:54:51 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118926 on: October 10, 2020, 05:37:39 am »

I'm sad and it's affecting me :(
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #118927 on: October 10, 2020, 02:43:51 pm »

I have a nasty cold. Not corona presumably, as every test I've been given by my employer has come back negative, but I am nonetheless in pain and tired and want to go home and not finish my shift.

But alas, I don't believe anyone will cover for me.

[Edit]
Nope, I'm stuck :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 04:04:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118928 on: October 10, 2020, 05:27:49 pm »

Maybe try a test that is not given by your employer, but by the proper health authorities, just to be sure.
(don't know if those were those ' quick tests', but if so, those are pretty darn unreliable.  Over here the only real tests are those done by the national health service (GGD). They do take a day or 2 to get you results, due to them having to be sent to a lab)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:32:02 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #118929 on: October 10, 2020, 05:47:19 pm »

We don't use the quick tests, only the lab tests. Nobody has come back positive thus far except my boss's neighbor, so he's quarantined too, which is part of why were short staffed. Everything sucks this week.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118930 on: October 15, 2020, 01:23:29 pm »

Almost got killed on a car crash today. The driver had some kind of stroke and was stuck doing donuts on reverse in a pretty busy avenue with heavy truck traffic. Almost run over a family on a motorcycle. Thankfully everyone involved is alrigth but the motorcylcle front was destroyed.

We doged a truck at full speed by pure chances.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118931 on: October 15, 2020, 01:30:50 pm »

Thank god you're ok Baal. I know I've had a few close calls that could have ended in death, and they give me anxiety to this day.

But I have to ask: family on a motorcycle?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118932 on: October 15, 2020, 01:38:53 pm »

Yeah, like those indian memes. A dad with his wife and two little girls. One of 1 year and another of 9.

I saw them aproaching before we started the death blender, they guy hit the brakes and the wife jumped out of the bike with the girls.

They are allrigth and the dad only got a few bruises and scratches. For a moment I thoguth we ran them over, once the car stopped I ran out to check them. All I could thing was in peter.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118933 on: October 15, 2020, 03:45:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:54:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118934 on: October 15, 2020, 04:27:08 pm »

He reacted a few seconds later. He was alrigth aparently, I checked pupil response and basic cognigtive functions and he was okay as far as okay goes, I insisted to take him to a doctor but refused and didnt went. He also offered to pay 250$ dolars for the damage to the bike guy and he acepted, tomorrow they will do that.

I still insisted he went to a medic and he told everyone nope. I will never get in a car he is driving ever again.
Pages: 1 ... 7927 7928 [7929] 7930 7931 ... 8168