Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7926 7927 [7928] 7929 7930 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9520138 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118905 on: September 18, 2020, 02:25:13 pm »

And I'm talking about artesanal (make your own stuff to get by) levels
that's mindwanking. You wont get enough for a single person's needs, let alone an economy, with moonshine

Dont know why you keep arguing with me
Because it's a dumb idea. Why do you persist in defending something that has already failed?
It takes two to argue, you know.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118906 on: September 18, 2020, 06:40:18 pm »

And yet despite your opinion a quick search on google indicates many places do produce biofuels for either blend or use alone. Like Germany or Brazil.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118907 on: September 18, 2020, 06:54:31 pm »

Or the US. E10 (10% ethanol) biofuel is mandatory in several states and virtually ubiquitous everywhere else (every gas station in my area in New York sells it exclusively at standard pumps, as I discovered when a family member needed pure gasoline for reasons).

that's mindwanking. You wont get enough for a single person's needs, let alone an economy, with moonshine
Lots of people in the rural US make their own quasi-"biodiesel". I don't even know how you missed the part where I just said I know people who do it, personally. (It turns out you CAN conjure used oil, if not out of thin air, at least out of soybeans, oilseed rape, peanuts, coconuts, olives... it's not even food waste because it gets used for food first!)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118908 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:20 pm »

In case I was missunderstood, I was talking about biodiesel too. Sadly that would only partially help us on some agriculture and less on the transport side.

Dunno if bio gas can make a car run, there are a lot of cars here that run on natural gas since thats about the only fuel that still is in more or less on regular production since it seems is simpler to produce?

But if I understood rigth those cars still need gasoline to start and then switch to natural gas.

Anyway natural gas on the gas stations is not on pipes so is scarse too, thanks to the spike on the demand too.

Basically, I seriusly could look into getting a donkey for the family transportation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:34:54 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118909 on: September 18, 2020, 07:35:00 pm »

And yet despite your opinion a quick search on google indicates many places do produce biofuels for either blend or use alone. Like Germany or Brazil.
And failed badly. You can make it. It drives food prices up. It's no good. That is: it can be made, you can't make enough of it without compromising other crops. There's a reason why it never went mainstream despite being around for 40 years

Or the US. E10 (10% ethanol) biofuel is mandatory in several states and virtually ubiquitous everywhere else (every gas station in my area in New York sells it exclusively at standard pumps, as I discovered when a family member needed pure gasoline for reasons).

Lots of people in the rural US make their own quasi-"biodiesel". I don't even know how you missed the part where I just said I know people who do it, personally. (It turns out you CAN conjure used oil, if not out of thin air, at least out of soybeans, oilseed rape, peanuts, coconuts, olives... it's not even food waste because it gets used for food first!)
The stuff they sell in the western world is mixed with regular diesel, as far as I know, yes. Regarding the moonshine-diesel, the problem is that you wont get enough of it from leftovers to run a whole country's car fleet (or a single person, from his personal stock)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118910 on: September 18, 2020, 08:02:06 pm »

...Poo, are you a shill for BP or what? :P   

Also, didn't we discuss this kind of thing once before? I'm pretty sure I bookmarked a page/article someone kindly linked me on the topic.   
Aha, here it is. It's about diesel engines, obviously, but it looks interesting nonetheless.   

Mole removal? Was it a cosmetic thing or removing something dangerous?
Moles can be pretty vicious. Their powerful claws can dig through flesh as fast as through earth. Removing them from their lairs without protection is dangerous
I think this triggered my freshly-earned PTSD after all the Spelunky 2 I've been playing.   
You're saying I'm supposed to use protection?!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118911 on: September 18, 2020, 08:11:32 pm »

Mole removal? Was it a cosmetic thing or removing something dangerous?
Moles can be pretty vicious. Their powerful claws can dig through flesh as fast as through earth. Removing them from their lairs without protection is dangerous
I think this triggered my freshly-earned PTSD after all the Spelunky 2 I've been playing.   
You're saying I'm supposed to use protection?!   
Always. Specially if you have PSTDs. You dont want to give the moles psyphilis.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #118912 on: September 22, 2020, 08:39:13 am »

Ugh. Brain's feeling all sad again. I need to rant to my brain: why must you consider scenarios that will almost never happen? Why must you do this to me? I get hurt once, you think the sky is falling and everything rewinds back to 2016. I love you, brain, but this paranoid thinking isn't good for either of us. Why can't you just accept that while it was a monumental failure on your part, it also was a failure on theirs; they were terrible people, and terrible people don't change because of anything within your control. Nothing you could've done would've made them better people. Nothing.

I'm tired of this endless fucking cycle. I wish this shit would end. Meds help somewhat, but that's a crutch, one that occasionally breaks down on me and leaves me in this inebriated hell of sadness. It's not alcohol, but it sure as hell does roughly the same thing; drops the clock speeds down to 800 MHz, then adjusts clock modulation to end up at a final effective speed of just 100 MHz. Then I can't carry on a coherent conversation because that needs something on the order of 6 GHz to run correctly. This continuous overclocking damages my brain, which is precisely the reason I get this form of Sad. Fuck.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118913 on: September 24, 2020, 02:22:27 am »

I hate myself.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118914 on: September 24, 2020, 02:28:37 am »

Really, I'm not even kidding, you have to try to hate others, not yourself. Self-loathing is a counterproductive emotion that freezes you, but you'd be surprised of how many dark moments I've survived out of sheer spite. Not giving people who screwed me up the satisfaction to see me down gives me an extra oomph to get through things
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:30:21 am by ChairmanPoo »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118915 on: September 24, 2020, 02:42:49 am »

Nobody's ever done me anything but myself.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118916 on: September 24, 2020, 02:49:52 am »

Nobody's ever done me anything but myself.
You seem like an okay dude. I don't think you should hate yourself. I don't know you all that well, but you don't seem particularly hateable.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118917 on: September 28, 2020, 08:39:37 am »

The wife of the guy that "works" with me just passed. She having cancer was one of the reasons I keep him around when was asked if we should axe him...

Life sucks sometimes indeed. Now he is alone with one small kid and the older one (an adult already) is in Peru where there is no chance he can say goodbay or follow the burial rites properly.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118918 on: September 28, 2020, 09:09:22 pm »

My OCD is really giving me some hard times here. I feel like I'm slipping into insanity sometimes. It's like on a cycle too. I sometimes wish I had stopped my OCD months ago. I'm on antidepressants right now. I want to ask my psychiatrist my OCD prognosis. It's been 2-3 years about, starting getting pretty bad only around 5 months ago and I've had my present, now pretty much sole obsession for about 1 month, and my symptoms may have indeed improved in that past month, and I have periods of partial or full remission in between periods of symptom exacerbation, and according to some studies that I've read these point towards a better prognosis. I have to keep reminding myself that thoughts are just thoughts and to not engage and to just wait it out and it's so tiring because the constant filtering is so difficult. I could use some support. I feel better when I'm with someone else and I feel like their presence sort of overcomes my OCD a bit even without them talking about my obsession.

I sometimes think I might be bipolar because of what huge amplitude my OCD cycle has. I sometimes feel suicidal on the low points.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:21:42 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118919 on: October 06, 2020, 04:08:26 pm »

RIP Eddie van Halen
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7926 7927 [7928] 7929 7930 ... 8168