Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7921 7922 [7923] 7924 7925 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9521649 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118830 on: September 04, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »

I propose that we correct this state of things by using painful electrical shocks on the decision-makers of companies which don't prioritize their employees' health over profit.
If; decision making is consensus dictated by AI, then; ____?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118831 on: September 04, 2020, 05:22:37 pm »

Painful electrical shocks for everyone!
Or I guess lots of missing the point and subsequent strange questions, judging by our own resident AI.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118832 on: September 05, 2020, 01:31:07 am »

I propose that we correct this state of things by using painful electrical shocks on the decision-makers of companies which don't prioritize their employees' health over profit.
If; decision making is consensus dictated by AI, then; ____?

System is ripe for abuse by rogue programmer(s).

(See also, underhanded C competition, et al.)

I do not believe that there is a "better" (in terms of raw performance) form of structure for modern corporations than the fascist model.  This is one of many reasons why I feel the modern corporation should not exist, and there should be hard-set limits imposed by government (controlled by the voting public) that restricts how large any economic actor can become.

AI is a useful tool, but it is not some magic bullet you can just throw at this kind of problem.  It can assist with decision making, but not replace it.  Due to that reality, powerful AI in the hands of corporate leadership is a recipe for maximal abuse of the consumer (because that is equivalent to maximal profit margin, and is exactly what any 'good capitalist' would have the AI doing. They would never frame it in such terms-- "Improve efficiency", and "optimize marketing strategy" would be likely buzzwords to refer to it as, but the effect is simply to press the equilibrium of the market such that higher market cap can be realized, at the consumer's expense-- Likely at worker's expense too, as work conditions become ever more draconian and orwellian in nature, as the AI continually and relentlessly crunches all the analytics data it accumulates on both consumer habits, and worker routines, such that "Maximal market cap" and "Maximal efficiency" are sustained, continually).

It is a future I desire very much to never see.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118833 on: September 06, 2020, 02:46:17 pm »

I´m really worried that this tooth might not be salvageable despite the painlessness
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118834 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:03 am »

Also: while overshadowed by the more immediate concern of my busted molar, I'm also sad becausw the girl I fancied and occassionally dated got another plan this year. Not surprising but still sad. Trying to get back with her was one of the things motivating my return. Not the only one but I'm feeling kind of foolish now.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118835 on: September 07, 2020, 10:08:41 am »

Politics, especially in the US, makes me sad.

I remember voting for Obama in hopes that he actually would change something for the better. So I watched, to see what good came of it.

I got to regret my decision almost immediately, as he bailed out the biggest companies while letting the citizens become even more impoverished. As he continued the wars he promised to end. As he took millions of dollars to rewrite Mitt Romney's healthcare plan to make sure insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies could do what they wanted to profit, again at the expense of the citizens. I watched his actions to make the situations in Standing Rock, Ferguson, and Flint worse instead of better. Killing off citizens who would stand up for what's right. And I watched as he built the concentration camps.

And I see people glorify his destruction of this country, and Trump's continuation of his evil. I've seen the two ruling classes work together to kill and destroy in this country and around the world. I hold out very little hope that a third party might help. I hold out ever-shrinking hope that nonviolent action will improve this country in any way, but see it only met with violence and apathy.

I care about what happens to people, and wish they'd work together enough to accomplish good in this world.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118836 on: September 07, 2020, 11:57:27 am »

There is not, and hasn't been in a while, any presidential candidate that made it past the primaries that was on the side of people rather than corporations

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118837 on: September 07, 2020, 02:23:26 pm »

Not since before I was born. A long time before I was born. I turn 37 this month.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118838 on: September 07, 2020, 02:25:41 pm »

Happy birthday! How've you been?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118839 on: September 07, 2020, 04:43:19 pm »

Things have been rough. Another surgery on the 15th, and then 6 weeks after that, and then 6 weeks after that.

On the plus side, I'm hosting a charity event this weekend. I'll post a thread closer to the time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118840 on: September 07, 2020, 04:54:15 pm »

I'm sorry to hear things have been going rough for you, man.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118841 on: September 08, 2020, 12:06:43 am »

Happy birthday, max0!
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118842 on: September 09, 2020, 06:19:28 am »

Refugee camp Moria on the Greek island Lesbos has been destroyed by multiple fires.
12 thousand refugees are now seeking shelter under olive trees on the island. The government has announced that they will order a state of emergency.

It is unsure what started the fires.  Some people say they were started by Greek locals, others say the refugees started it themselves.
 Firefighters report that refugees tried to prevent them from putting out the fires.

Last week, the first cases of Covid were found amongst the refugees.
Unrest broke out in the camp when they were ordered into lockdown.
At least 35 refugees have now been confirmed to have Covid.

Humanitarian aid workers report that the emergency hospital is probably destroyed too.

Moria was a living hell already.  Things just got 12000 times worse.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:24:42 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118843 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:27 am »

Any notion of why they're burning it themselves? Do they think it will force Greece to give them alternative 'quarters'?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118844 on: September 09, 2020, 06:50:42 am »

That, and unrest over the lockdown.  Can't really blame them if they did.
Moria was living hell.  People cleaned their food in buckets that they also use to urinate and defacate in, because going to the communal toilets just gets women raped.
Note that Moria was build to house about 4000 refugees, and by now over 13000 were holed up in there.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:52:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7921 7922 [7923] 7924 7925 ... 8168