Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7901 7902 [7903] 7904 7905 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9520155 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118530 on: July 09, 2020, 01:23:38 pm »

Some goals are things you shoot for without necessarily actually reaching. IE, it'd be nice to completely eliminate violence. This is impossible, of course, but it's a goal to shoot for. Minimize violence instead.

So anarcho-collectivism is idealistic, yes, but it's a goal to shoot for. Minimize authority and wealth disparity.

Also re: "human nature". This concept is so tainted with cultural assumptions that it's just plain silly. Greed, selfishness, hate, and all the things that are supposedly the downfall of anarchy are largely taught, not inherent. Teach the opposite instead and it will be more stable. Variation is what needs to be accounted for, not "human nature".
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118531 on: July 09, 2020, 01:38:34 pm »

If it is possible to have something for a single human, it is probably possible to have it for all of humanity, just exponentially harder. Many people get through their entire lives without encountering serious violence, and many more get through their lives only encountering it a few notable times. Ergo, it is probably possible to meet this standard for all of humanity.

That particular problem may not be as hard as it seems - violence appears to be an acquired taste at best, even for serial killers and the like. Much in the way that it is easier to prevent malaria when you don't leave water around for mosquitoes to breed in, it probably gets easier to prevent violence by cutting off the sources of trauma and desperation that get people to choose violence in spite of its bitterness.

This is of course impossible within the surreal horror of late-stage capitalism, but we can dream, I guess.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118532 on: July 09, 2020, 01:42:28 pm »

Some goals are things you shoot for without necessarily actually reaching. IE, it'd be nice to completely eliminate violence. This is impossible, of course, but it's a goal to shoot for. Minimize violence instead.

So anarcho-collectivism is idealistic, yes, but it's a goal to shoot for. Minimize authority and wealth disparity.

Also re: "human nature". This concept is so tainted with cultural assumptions that it's just plain silly. Greed, selfishness, hate, and all the things that are supposedly the downfall of anarchy are largely taught, not inherent. Teach the opposite instead and it will be more stable. Variation is what needs to be accounted for, not "human nature".
Agreed. Greed and hate tend to be taught. We’re not born hating people, we’re not born scared of arthropods either, or snakes. Hate and fear are taught, not genetic. I know we’re not born fearing snakes or arthropods because despite my parents disliking them, I like them. This is just an example of course

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118533 on: July 09, 2020, 02:40:39 pm »

Agreed. Greed and hate tend to be taught. We’re not born hating people, we’re not born scared of arthropods either, or snakes. Hate and fear are taught, not genetic. I know we’re not born fearing snakes or arthropods because despite my parents disliking them, I like them. This is just an example of course

That doesn't mean nobody else is born scared of snakes of anrotupdus
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118534 on: July 09, 2020, 02:47:46 pm »

That doesn't mean nobody else is born scared of snakes of anrotupdus
My brother and parents hate them, not necessarily fear them. Given the fact that I never hated them despite my parents and brother hating them, I came to the conclusion that hatred/fear of an animal group is taught, not inherited. I am only one person, so I know others may be different. Now the why I thought what I posted is hopefully clearer.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118535 on: July 09, 2020, 05:48:32 pm »

It's hypothetically possible that some people are born afraid of snakes &c., while others are inculturated into being afraid of them, while a third class (you) are neither

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118536 on: July 09, 2020, 06:13:07 pm »

It's hypothetically possible that some people are born afraid of snakes &c., while others are inculturated into being afraid of them, while a third class (you) are neither
This is true.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118537 on: July 09, 2020, 06:22:23 pm »

Sure, we are kinda programed to like and dislike some things under very broad categories for suvival sake, hence why there are some things that are considered universally cute or creppy. But since DNA is both the most awesome and the suckiest code language of all time there will always be plenty of people that arent naturally scared of some stuff or find spme cute things crappy and so on.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118538 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:50:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118539 on: July 09, 2020, 06:43:06 pm »

I remember at one point hearing about exposure therapy, eventually training away someone’s fear by exposing them to lesser versions of it, until they can be exposed to the actual thing they feared, without having it. It is interesting that some of us are born with the fears, while others are taught, and still others neither. Would training yourself not to fear something be an example of editing your code if you were an AI?

If a person were to train themselves to not fear spiders, thst they’ve feared for most of their life, would that be similar to if an AI edits its code to get rid of a bug? What’s the human analog to editing code? This probably goes somewhere else, not the sad thread. The sad I have today and the last couple days is knowing that I can’t do much to help make the world better, or my country...I’m sad at the fact that those in power who are supposed to make things better, only worry about keeping themselves in power/getting more power, rather than doing what they’re supposed to do. I’m sad that in order to get power in this country, you have to join one of two parties, both of which are corrupt and are working with each other to keep themselves in power, and that new ideas are difficult if not impossible to get put forward if they don’t help the parties stay in power. I’m sad that the way campaigns are run involve talking down about the opponent, rather than explaining the policies of the one in the campaign. I’m sad that oftentimes, the policies they oromise don’t get done. I’m sad that people think sentient AI is the biggest problem despite all of the dangers us humans are doing, causing, and stuck in. I’m sad that some people are fine using intelligent beings as slaves because they happen to be made in computers instead of a womb. I...I have a lot on my mind.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118540 on: July 09, 2020, 06:56:42 pm »

I understand you to a T Nature, and  I used to feel like that. Before taking an arrow to the knee and being the one needing help I tried my best to help as much as I could but always wad left with this feeling of not being ever enough to make a large or lasting change for good.

In my case this faded away as survival of my family nucleus became something that needed ever increasing focus and effort, till it became my sole main thought.

I guess you could try to find things to get distracted to or find solace in that while you cant change the world, you can change someone day for the better at least.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118541 on: July 09, 2020, 09:20:08 pm »

Any form of (large-scale) government so unnatural to humanity should be fought at all costs.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118542 on: July 09, 2020, 09:34:39 pm »

Any form of (large-scale) government so unnatural to humanity should be fought at all costs.   
Humans have a nasty habit of starting wars with each other, and human leaders have a habit of making decisions based on politics, religion, and other ideologies rather than facts. Given certain human leaders’s reactions regarding the current pandemic, I’m thinking something that doesn’t think like us might run things better. An AI won’t have the many, many biases that plague human thought and affect decision making.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118543 on: July 09, 2020, 10:04:02 pm »

A certain hit movie series from the glorious 1980s might beg to differ.   

Edit: Behold! See, unlike certain less-realistic sci-fi tales set in the "far future" over the years, there is still time for this to become grim reality. We humans must be ready to follow Elon Musk into war against the machines.   
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:08:30 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118544 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:51 pm »

Humans have a nasty habit of starting wars with each other, and human leaders have a habit of making decisions based on politics, religion, and other ideologies rather than facts. Given certain human leaders’s reactions regarding the current pandemic, I’m thinking something that doesn’t think like us might run things better. An AI won’t have the many, many biases that plague human thought and affect decision making.

What of the biases of the people creating the AI?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7901 7902 [7903] 7904 7905 ... 8168