Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7853 7854 [7855] 7856 7857 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9519158 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117810 on: February 08, 2020, 05:20:58 pm »

Everyone can play spoons.
Love, scriver~

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117811 on: February 08, 2020, 05:50:44 pm »

I've been noodling around on a ukulele for a few months now. Is cheap, fairly easy to play... only so much can be done with it, but you learn to make pretty noises real fast.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117812 on: February 08, 2020, 06:06:42 pm »

It's US income tax filing season again.  For some reason it's weighing on me more this year than in previous years.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117813 on: February 09, 2020, 12:22:23 am »

I used to play a little bit of guitar. Never learned enough of a song to play it all the way through, but I knew the starts/riffs to a few and knew enough about scales to mess around a little bit. Also still wasn't very good about identifying keys offhand, but that's life.

That was over a decade ago. I've lost whatever I might've had before through years and years of not playing. Now to pick up or even look at my guitar makes me feel absolutely miserable to think about what I lost and how long it would take me to first get back to where I was, and then to get beyond that to somewhere near where I wanted to be; which was being able to actually play not just one but multiple songs.

And I'm now surrounded by musicians in my circle of acquaintances, people who spent 12-15 years actively playing and learning the instrument, and it makes me feel sick that I'll never get on their level because of my hang-ups.

Nowadays I just try to avoid any mention of it, because people always ask for a demonstration if I say anything related to having played before or even just owning a guitar, and I just... I can't. There's nothing to show.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117814 on: February 09, 2020, 01:52:10 am »

What about singing? I know that singing also depends on your voice, but I think singing's not that difficult either. I wasn't singing till I started organ, so that's also two years or so.

Man, might be just me, but I don't really know what people have with this "learn this stuff when you're still child, oh, poor me, I lost that chance already" stuff. Because from my experience, I've been papercrafting, drawing, doing music pretty much my whole life. Yet when I was a child, improvement was minimal. Might also be affected by attitude, but still. It's now that I'm a lad that I can learn things properly, that is, if I want to. If everyone's getting at you won't have spare  time as adult, maybe that's the case.

Sorry if I invoked bad feelings in someone with this music topic. I just love to write, it makes me feel relevant. Shoot, guys, I'm such a broken person...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117815 on: February 09, 2020, 09:06:01 am »

Hey, Kagus. You'll get some of it back faster now, you know. And the goal of learning and instrument isn't to be as good as your idols necessarily. It's to learn, and make art with it, to have fun. It's literally never too late to start.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117816 on: February 09, 2020, 09:27:09 am »

It's to learn, and make art with it, to have fun.
Ah, and therein lies the rub! I have a pathological hatred of everything I am, do, or create! Even making it through the twisting pain of every mistake made when trying to attempt something, if I do end up accidentally making something of my own up I'll be physically sickened and repulsed by it within 1-24 hours! I've done it before, and I can do it again ha ha!

Extra fun now that I actually have friends who see the best in me and sincerely believe I'm capable of doing great things. Now I have the option of disappointing them by not trying, or disappointing them by doing something awful. And yes I do realize how outlandishly doomy that is... 8 years of medication and therapy has gotten me a long way, but I still have a hard time shaking some of the old thought patterns.

Sorry if I invoked bad feelings in someone with this music topic.

Oh no, please don't feel guilty... I'm perfectly capable of bringing bad feelings upon myself, I hardly need outside assistance for that.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117817 on: February 09, 2020, 01:46:36 pm »

Ah, but you see, if you do something you consider awful, there's a good chance they'll consider it good anyways. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117818 on: February 09, 2020, 02:18:53 pm »

Ah, but you see, if you do something you consider awful, there's a good chance they'll consider it good anyways. :3
Or might just act as such, out of pity/politeness! Which is definitely the internal narrative I'm gonna be opting for in the event of positive reactions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117819 on: February 09, 2020, 02:23:05 pm »

Or might just act as such, out of pity/politeness! Which is definitely the internal narrative I'm gonna be opting for in the event of positive reactions.
Ah, depression/anxiety really is a bitch. I do hope you get better yet at determining your unhealthy internal narratives. You've made a lot of progress over the years. :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117820 on: February 09, 2020, 03:47:44 pm »

Aye, s'truth... And thanks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117821 on: February 10, 2020, 01:11:19 am »

This is why spite is the only true motivator
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117822 on: February 10, 2020, 01:18:16 am »

This is why spite is the only true motivator
You either become an hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117823 on: February 10, 2020, 05:55:51 am »

Good discussion on music you guys, a lot of good points.
Unfortunately my mindset is somewhat similar to Kagus's, although it perhaps breaks down more into the main points of: lack of motivation, the ease with which I become frustrated at making mistakes, jealousy at the accomplishments and talents of others that can easily lead to a spiral of self-loathing and inferiority when dwelt upon, and finally, a deep, terrifying fear that perhaps I would turn out to not have the natural abilities to become good at an instrument even if I devoted years of practice to it.

Oh, and plain, simple shyness when it comes to the actual "making noise" part, but that loops back around to the second point, my unhelpful perfectionism.

...But, all that aside, I did end up enjoying myself despite my feelings of inferiority! As useless as I am, I'm actually kinda proud of myself for managing to hang around and appreciate the music happening in my kitchen rather than isolating myself from it and simply making myself feel worse.
It ended up being pretty fun. A good way to farewell one of my (now former) housemates, too.

Perhaps I'll be able to use my current, probably temporary living situation with my dad as an opportunity to try and overcome at least some of these hurdles and hang-ups I have re: playing music. Here's hoping.
I had new, unrelated Sads but this post is a bit of an essay already and I should be sleeping. If I haven't forgotten the nonsense in question by tomorrow I'm sure I will find time to whine about it then, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117824 on: February 10, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »

I'm just having a little bit of my anxiety where I wish someone was around to beat me. Just whip the shit out of me, and I'm disappointed that there's noone to perform this service for me.

Just overall feeling like a shithead, an ingrate, an asshole, and worst of all, a pseudo-intellectual that thinks too highly of himself too often; and deserves to get punished for it.
Pages: 1 ... 7853 7854 [7855] 7856 7857 ... 8168