Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7712 7713 [7714] 7715 7716 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9513815 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115695 on: April 06, 2019, 03:04:29 am »

I'm glad that dolphins don't have hands.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115696 on: April 06, 2019, 03:19:51 am »

I'm glad that nazis have hands.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115697 on: April 06, 2019, 03:27:06 am »

I have yet to hear of an animal that would intentionally burn someone's skin off for no rational reason.

That arises from a hunger for power, a desire to control someone else, itself an animal instinct. It's well known that rape among humans is mostly a demonstration of control; physical abuse is also showing control, because you're demonstrating the other person is powerless to stop you. Animals don't burn skin off because they lack the motor ability, tools, and intelligence to do that. Garden-variety physical assault happens, though -- male dolphins will beat their victims before raping them.

Their lust was not solely sexual -- it was about control. The physical abuse was just as important to them, as they kept her even after "they had lost sexual interest in her" (Wikipedia), whereas a previous girl was let go. They did not think about the harm to their "future," because the animal brain making them commit these atrocities has no concept of "future," only the here & now. After they killed her and the reality of what they'd done was able to sink in, then they started worrying about the future.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 03:35:53 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115698 on: April 06, 2019, 03:54:10 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:07:04 pm by dragdeler »
let

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115699 on: April 06, 2019, 04:57:26 am »

That arises from a hunger for power, a desire to control someone else, itself an animal instinct. It's well known that rape among humans is mostly a demonstration of control; physical abuse is also showing control, because you're demonstrating the other person is powerless to stop you. Animals don't burn skin off because they lack the motor ability, tools, and intelligence to do that. Garden-variety physical assault happens, though -- male dolphins will beat their victims before raping them.
Again, that sort of assault is purely functional, both in ducks and dolphins. Beaten victims are less likely to resist. Do you know of any dolphins beating their victims after raping them? That would be more indicative of what we're talking about.

Also, it's noteworthy that the species most likely to rape or torture for the sake of power(meaning homosexual or inter-species rape) are apes and dolphins, who are both highly social and intelligent. They engage in rape and torture because their minds are closer to human ones, not because they are more animalistic than humans.

Their lust was not solely sexual -- it was about control. The physical abuse was just as important to them, as they kept her even after "they had lost sexual interest in her" (Wikipedia), whereas a previous girl was let go. They did not think about the harm to their "future," because the animal brain making them commit these atrocities has no concept of "future," only the here & now. After they killed her and the reality of what they'd done was able to sink in, then they started worrying about the future.
True. But since we're talking about their previous crimes, take note of the dramatic shift between their previous rapes, functional in their nature, and their MO in case of the last victim. What is the cause of such an increase in brutality?

The one difference that springs up is perceived "slights" against them: first, rejecting a relationship with one of them(which seems to be the difference between them letting their first victims go and keeping the victim in the latest case) and later, trying to call the police(after which they escalated to life-threatening forms of torture). In other words, their main motivation for engaging in such vileness was not the animal thirst for power: it was a human desire for revenge.
Taking revenge after the threat was removed(as opposed to stopping once you have protected your interests) is a concept limited to very few social, intelligent animals: apes and corvidae. Again, that sort of abstract motivation is closer to human behavior than to that of animals.

I agree on the general point: humans are assholes, in part because of the more animalistic emotions like thirst for dominance.
But it appears that humans' purely emotional, not even physical or intellectual, capacity for evil has far surpassed that of animals, and therefore, blaming the animal brain for human deeds is like blaming Reagan for Bush-era invasion of Iraq and subsequent rise of ISIS. There are definitely some precursors of what happened in case of Reagan, but his policy is not the main reason for the escalation that happened decades later.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:34:23 am by HmH »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115700 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:55 am »

Hyenas rape to reinforce dominance/have fun, don't they? Specifically, the females get into some aggressive pegging.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115701 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:27 am »

Hyenas rape to reinforce dominance/have fun, don't they? Specifically, the females get into some aggressive pegging.
That's a good example of what I was talking about. Hyenas are also social and highly intelligent.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115702 on: April 06, 2019, 07:03:54 am »

You deviant. I'mma pray for your corrupted soul.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115703 on: April 06, 2019, 07:21:55 am »

Nature: Not even once.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115704 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:38 am »

Nature: Not even once.

All life should be banned for inappropriate behaviour
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115705 on: April 06, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »

Humans are perfectly capable of being cruel simply because they enjoy cruelty for it's own sake.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115706 on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:03 pm »

Humans are perfectly capable of being cruel simply because they enjoy cruelty for it's own sake.

Yes, but why do they enjoy cruelty? It's because cruelty is a demonstration of power, and power is inherently attractive to humans.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115707 on: April 07, 2019, 09:43:35 am »

I'm glad that nazis have hands.

Ahem, it's spelt "Hans".
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115708 on: April 07, 2019, 05:05:55 pm »

"Dream apartment" fell threw; he's giving it to someone else.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115709 on: April 07, 2019, 05:13:37 pm »

Dropped my phone in water. Two days later, everything works except for the touch sensitivity, which doesn't work for hours at a time.

*Sigh* that's probably gonna be expensive to fix.

"Dream apartment" fell threw; he's giving it to someone else.
That's too bad; I was hoping you would get your own space.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7712 7713 [7714] 7715 7716 ... 8168