Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7711 7712 [7713] 7714 7715 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9513521 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115680 on: April 04, 2019, 08:49:54 am »

@Kagus: happy birthday, my dude!
I've no idea what time it is over there, but here's hoping you at least make it down to the pub to celebrate and/or commiserate. I'd venmo you a beer but I have no clue how that shit works.
Honestly, what you've described so far sounds rather similar to my own most recent birthday.

autists.
I'd really prefer you not use that term.... You get a pass in this instance because the guy actually does sound like he has autism, but in the future please avoid using it
Don't be such a nazi.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115681 on: April 04, 2019, 09:11:03 am »

My dog pooped .... on my laptop...

Well the message is clear.... You need to butcher and deep fry it.

Terrible idea. All the sharp metal and plastic will destroy your mouth and digestive tract.

Also, happy birthday Kagus.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115682 on: April 04, 2019, 09:25:48 am »

@Kagus: happy birthday, my dude!
I've no idea what time it is over there, but here's hoping you at least make it down to the pub to celebrate and/or commiserate. I'd venmo you a beer but I have no clue how that shit works.
Honestly, what you've described so far sounds rather similar to my own most recent birthday.

autists.
I'd really prefer you not use that term.... You get a pass in this instance because the guy actually does sound like he has autism, but in the future please avoid using it
Don't be such a nazi.
How am I being a nazi?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115683 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:28 am »

Vaccines cause Nazism

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115684 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:45 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:07:18 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115685 on: April 04, 2019, 03:41:32 pm »

autists.
Politely put.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115686 on: April 04, 2019, 04:04:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:07:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115687 on: April 04, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »

The... uh, I'm not sure "murder" describes it adequately, but the murder of Junko Furuta.
Trigger warning: it contains a very long list of things done by several power-mad teenagers to a completely helpless victim, so triggers everywhere. If you think "oh, how bad could it be?", the answer is "worse than you think, even if you think really hard".
If you have a trigger, it's probably in there. If you don't have one but want one, that link's probably a good place to start.
Speaking of which, the things I link to below are also quite triggery.

Now, I'm not a sensitive guy, even for a DF player. Pretty much don't feel a thing 99 percent of the time, even when I most definitely should.
But this... I felt genuine sadness after reading this. Not because of what was done or what the society did about it, that's merely disgusting.
I was sad because that, one of the few things that managed to disturb me, has happened countless times before, has probably happened in ways that dwarf it in vileness like the Sun dwarfs Mercury, and is probably happening to someone else in the world right now. And I'm sitting in my comfy chair doing nothing about it, not even caring enough to stop it or knowing where to begin - just like everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:35:42 pm by HmH »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115688 on: April 05, 2019, 08:27:33 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:07:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115689 on: April 05, 2019, 08:57:29 pm »

@HmH

I've known people who exhibit that superlative degree of violent sociopathy. I'm not comfortable talking about them. They should be in prison. They are not in prison.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115690 on: April 05, 2019, 11:50:24 pm »

I got that moron lying beside me now hogging the good pillow; and no sex was never likely in the first place.
You've got a kindergartener lying next to you in bed?!?! :o
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115691 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:44 pm »

I got that moron lying beside me now hogging the good pillow; and no sex was never likely in the first place.
You've got a kindergartener lying next to you in bed?!?! :o
FBI, OPEN UP!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115692 on: April 06, 2019, 01:49:57 am »

The... uh, I'm not sure "murder" describes it adequately, but the murder of Junko Furuta.
Huh, your description of it reminded me of the Sylvia Likens case, which I read up on after seeing it mentioned in a book, and sure enough there are considerable, awful similarities.
Although at least in the case you linked there were the criminal connections of the perpetrators, which gives at least some feeble explanation for why so many people would stay silent about what was going on...

My current Sad: Lor', I've been having so much anxiety these past couple of days. I'm beginning to have my doubts about my medication. For while it seemed, or I convinced myself that it seemed, like things were lessening and I was noticeably better able to cope with stressful situations, but... I dunno. Maybe I've just had a lot going on, a lot to adjust to.
At least I have some time off. Going to visit family. And pets, of course. For once I don't have to stress about getting back in time to deal with whatever bullshit obligations I have on my plate, either, so maybe it won't end up adding to my stress levels like these visits often do.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115693 on: April 06, 2019, 02:04:42 am »

This might sound edgy, but reading about things like this really reminds me that under that underneath our shallow, recently evolved sense of empathy and reasoning, us humans are really just senseless, territorial, pleasure-driven animals.

That brain matter sitting behind our newfangled frontal cortices? The part that's not our conscious mind? That's 75% of our brain, and it came from our animal ancestors. Our rational, thinking mind, the only part people like to think about, is for the most part beholden to this ancient chunk of biological machinery, refined by evolution over millions upon millions of years to be the most effective, most competitive survival machine possible. Its goal is to eat and have sex, at the expense of others, if necessary -- not to build cities or fly to the moon. That's what the majority of a human is, at least numerically.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115694 on: April 06, 2019, 02:58:13 am »

This might sound edgy, but reading about things like this really reminds me that under that underneath our shallow, recently evolved sense of empathy and reasoning, us humans are really just senseless, territorial, pleasure-driven animals.

That brain matter sitting behind our newfangled frontal cortices? The part that's not our conscious mind? That's 75% of our brain, and it came from our animal ancestors. Our rational, thinking mind, the only part people like to think about, is for the most part beholden to this ancient chunk of biological machinery, refined by evolution over millions upon millions of years to be the most effective, most competitive survival machine possible. Its goal is to eat and have sex, at the expense of others, if necessary -- not to build cities or fly to the moon. That's what the majority of a human is, at least numerically.
I have yet to hear of an animal that would intentionally burn someone's skin off for no rational reason. Especially if they're holding that someone captive in order to satisfy their reproductive urges.

Even cats, known for their tendency to toy with their catch, are mostly doing that because food is less likely to bite you if it's too tired to fight back. Animals' cruelty has a function: geese (UPD: ducks, not geese, misremembered that) rape in order to have sex, cats torture to guarantee their safety.
Whereas people in that example did things that were counterproductive to slaking their lust, and could be extremely harmful to their future if they got caught. Mutilation is punished less severely than mutilation that results in death.
You need to greatly surpass your inner animal in order to do things that harm you just because it brings greater pain to the victim.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:36:22 am by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 7711 7712 [7713] 7714 7715 ... 8168