Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7619 7620 [7621] 7622 7623 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9528997 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114300 on: September 18, 2018, 07:43:14 pm »

I shall hug you.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114301 on: September 18, 2018, 09:32:49 pm »

Part of me worries I'm simply too autistic to ever really get past the interview stage of job seeking.
You'll never know if you never try? I'm sure you are a wonderful lad with those horrible self esteem issues that eat some of us from time to time.

It isn't just self esteem.  I'm actually on the spectrum.  Its the high functioning side, which I'm rapidly learning boils down to "we're going to label you as having a disability but also blatantly ignore that disability and expect you to be able to be perfectly normal."  Assuming they even care or understand at all.  Employers certainly don't want to waste time with that, even if I could say I'm disabled on the application I probably wouldn't because they're not going to bother spending time and money on accommodations.  Government isn't going to cut you a disability check either.

Face it, asperger's means you're statistically very unlikely to have anything resembling a normal life.  Unlikely to have a sustainable career, unlikely to have significant relationships or marry.  There's basically no support for autism past age 18, hardly any doctors will even diagnose adults for autism.  There is a reason the second leading cause of death for aspies is suicide.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114302 on: September 18, 2018, 09:38:05 pm »

I shall hug you.
Make that a double.

Part of me worries I'm simply too autistic to ever really get past the interview stage of job seeking.
You'll never know if you never try? I'm sure you are a wonderful lad with those horrible self esteem issues that eat some of us from time to time.

It isn't just self esteem.  I'm actually on the spectrum.  Its the high functioning side, which I'm rapidly learning boils down to "we're going to label you as having a disability but also blatantly ignore that disability and expect you to be able to be perfectly normal."  Assuming they even care or understand at all.  Employers certainly don't want to waste time with that, even if I could say I'm disabled on the application I probably wouldn't because they're not going to bother spending time and money on accommodations.  Government isn't going to cut you a disability check either.

Face it, asperger's means you're statistically very unlikely to have anything resembling a normal life.  Unlikely to have a sustainable career, unlikely to have significant relationships or marry.  There's basically no support for autism past age 18, hardly any doctors will even diagnose adults for autism.  There is a reason the second leading cause of death for aspies is suicide.
Haven't you be able to get an accurate diagnosis? If so a second opinion? Knowing exactly what's going on is the first step. Of course you can have all those thing and more. People with far less intelligence, abilities and aptitude has. Why not you?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114303 on: September 18, 2018, 09:51:43 pm »

No I have not.  I don't know anyone who will diagnose adults and no metal heath people I've spoken to know anybody.

And my traits get in the way all the time.  Its the reason I haven't held a job for over three months.  People may have less intelligence, abilities and aptitude, but at least they are capable of fitting into society.  I am not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114304 on: September 18, 2018, 10:00:47 pm »

That largelly depends. If you would see what means to fit into some societies here you would not regret not fitting at all.

I'll hit the sack now, have like 36 hours awake in a row, not my longest record by far but still extenuating.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114305 on: September 18, 2018, 10:13:27 pm »

That largelly depends. If you would see what means to fit into some societies here you would not regret not fitting at all.

Its very easy for you to say.  Isolation hurts a lot.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114306 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:06 pm »

What makes me sad, is the parents that show up and buy like $80+ in cigarrettes or alcohol, but tell their kid they cant have a candy bar. Often because "they cant afford it" or "its bad for you"

Like your addictions and the associated expenses are okay, but the kid cant have a juice?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:54:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #114307 on: September 18, 2018, 11:58:05 pm »

i'd make sure to be even-handed and spend money on neither

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #114308 on: September 19, 2018, 02:27:46 am »

Knowing me I'd indulge the child every now and then, though I don't see the point in cigarettes (at least alcohol aids in some things and isn't so bad in moderation) so I'd simultaneously indulge myself with a matching juice.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114309 on: September 19, 2018, 02:31:45 am »

Knowing me I'd indulge the child every now and then
I'm pretty sure you can get in a lot of strife for supplying minors with tobacco products...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114310 on: September 19, 2018, 03:55:38 am »

Knowing me I'd indulge the child every now and then, though I don't see the point in cigarettes (at least alcohol aids in some things and isn't so bad in moderation) so I'd simultaneously indulge myself with a matching juice.

The "one for you, one for me" principle works pretty well, but the scheme breaks down dramatically when my daughter's mother and I want her to go away RIGHT NOW.  Then she's basically allowed to ransack the kitchen.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114311 on: September 19, 2018, 04:03:36 am »

The "one for you, one for me" principle works pretty well, but the scheme breaks down dramatically when my daughter's mother and I want her to go away RIGHT NOW.  Then she's basically allowed to ransack the kitchen.

An odd occurrence has been rumored to happen in a certain pub at night in southwest Germany. If you sit in the stool farthest from the door while one beside it is empty, order a round for yourself and offer to "buy one for the Baron".

The bartender will, without question or expression, pour two beers from tap. He'll place one beside you, and the moment the other one hits the table the room will go dark and silent, save the sound of footsteps as a man in uniform sits beside you.

It is believed that it is indeed Captain Manfred von Richthofen, although no one is sure because they can barely see their own glass, much less the person's face. No one who's told this story has had the nerve to touch him or risk insult, and the figure does not say a word.

But apparently if you were to ask him, "So sir, what's the condition at the front?" he would tell you startling details about the region's future and sometimes how they connect to the world as a whole.

Those who lived long enough after the fact claim that these events took place the exact amount of years from the date they asked as from the date Baron von Richthofen died in battle. Yet this cannot be confirmed, because every time the figure has been asked the question after 1966 he's only replied with a cold laugh
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114312 on: September 19, 2018, 04:12:39 am »

I do believe that the good doctor may have been snorting his own vaccines a bit too much lately.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114313 on: September 19, 2018, 04:16:04 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:38:51 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114314 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:28 am »

So, here's my grown-up sad for the day -

I've been trying to get access to an account that my control-freak of a grandmother set up for me some time ago.  I'm trying to get at it because I want to pay my daughter's school fees.  I called my gran to get her to give up the details of the account, because otherwise we can't find it and I can't get the cash out.  When I explained this, my grandmother refused, saying that I should have enough because I spend too frivolously.  I explained to her that my only expenditures were rent, petrol and food and that I save every penny as she has drilled into me since I was old enough to understand currency, to which she replied that I was stupid for spending so much money on petrol (which I use to get to work).  I became enraged because my tolerance for my mum and gran's bullshit is pretty slim these days (and then they wonder why I only ever visit my father, who, rather than chide me despite me saving like fucking Scrooge or insulting me for having the temerity to disagree with them, recently and spontaneously told me that he was proud of me) and in an uncommon display of absolutely verboten male aggression, I chucked my phone at my stairs, ruining the display and actually adding a significant cost to my otherwise ascetic monthly bill.

On top of that, I still have to shoulder the full cost on my part-time wage (my job is perfect, except that they simply don't need a full time admin at a 7-8 man quarry). And god knows, if I suck all the money out of my accessible savings to pay for my daughter, my gran'll whinge that i'm no longer saving into my Help To Buy ISA.

I can't be any more fucking financially prudent.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 7619 7620 [7621] 7622 7623 ... 8169