Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7525 7526 [7527] 7528 7529 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9524724 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112890 on: April 13, 2018, 07:31:01 am »

The thing is, that kind of procedure isn't possible.

sure it is! Its just a matter of damaging the right areas of the brain and your emotional capabilities dip down a lot!
And even if we could isolate the emotional centers of the brain and switch them off without damaging anything else, it would still turn you into an invalid. .
ah, thats something else altogether. The original question is whether your emotions can be blunted through a procedure, and they totally can. Whether you're left a drooling idiot or not is something different altogether
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112891 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:20 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:33:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112892 on: April 13, 2018, 10:58:03 am »

Ouch.

Anyway, the whole brain-kicking-you-to-hitch-up thing: I'd be perfectly happy to be in a relationship with someone I liked, and who liked me. Usually a "chemical choice," as it were, isn't made for me. It's really only happened the once to its fullest extent, and then it was for a perfectly nice person but not someone I would objectively consider going out with.

I, too, could wish that relationship for the sake of relationship was not the brain's go-to.

As a sad on a much deeper level, a family friend's husband died recently from cancer. Neither deserve it, or their children.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:59:36 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112893 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:00 am »

As a sad on a much deeper level, a family friend's husband died recently from cancer. Neither deserve it, or their children.

As you've taken the time to point out they don't, I'm curious who you think does deserve to have their putative loved ones die of cancer.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112894 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:30 am »

Oh, family criminal organisations would probably be top of that list.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112895 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »

I am sad because don't have enough money
The feels.
Spoiler: not particularly sad (click to show/hide)

As for more major sads that aren't just me wanting to buy lots of stuff, it's about time for me to start worrying about heading back from this trip and how I'm going to sort out getting paid once I'm home.  :-X
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112896 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

Just watched Snowden this evening, where Nic Cage's terrifying power made another movie suddenly be about Nic Cage.

I'd had a talk about philosophy, space, physics and genitalia (as those talks seem to go) with my girlfriend recently, and when the talk turned to extra dimensions and the interconnectedness of space and time (and thus also the breaking of time's perceived immutability), she mentioned that this kind of talk "really fucked with her head". The idea of so much fundamental knowledge we do not possess, let alone the knowledge we likely cannot possess, messed her up. I chuckled and conceded that yeah, it's pretty crazy.

But, back to Snowden, with all the intelligence gathering and manipulation, and all the immense power and authority exerted by governments to protect and expand their positions... That is the kind of thing that fucks with my head. It's perfectly knowable, perfectly straightforward knowledge that is deliberately being obfuscated and hidden to prevent "The wrong people" from ever knowing the truth.

As to the nature of time as a universal aspect, or the theorization of even more dimensions, not to mention the infinitely small nature of reality's building blocks or the infinitely large nature of the universe's ultimate scope, that's all good fun... They are fundamental pieces of the natural world, and as such are inherently neutral. The stars hold no malice, the sea does not seek to keep secrets. But people? World powers and mighty individuals? We're not even allowed to imagine the lengths of deceit we'll go to in order to defend our authority and dominance.

And it's that infighting, and how the system perpetuating it is so unassailably entrenched as to make it hopeless to oppose, that can keep me up at night. Nevermind cosmic mystery, my mind balks at politics.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112897 on: April 13, 2018, 09:54:05 pm »

War on Syria, getting worst every darn time you look at it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112898 on: April 13, 2018, 11:36:12 pm »

Meanwhile Politics is the only thing my mind doesn't balk at. I'm struck by this sometimes: I've had friends who quite viscerally hated it, and I've known many others who, while politically engaged, due so out of a sense of obligation, holding their noses as it were. Meanwhile, to me, it's just interesting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unrelated: My sad is the weather. It's warm now, so it's 12:40 at night, I'm lying down in bed, virtually naked and yet still sweating and struggling to sleep and miserable, looking forward to six months of this crap. I miss winter already.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112899 on: April 14, 2018, 03:06:53 am »

Dutch pop-artist Dotan unmasked as fraudulent troll-account user.

The fans of Dutch singer Dotan have been remarkably active on social media. But, as it turns out, they don't exist.

For example, there was this story of Karel Leeghwater, who said he visited Dotan with his sick little brother in 2013.
"My brother Aron is not doing well", he writes. "He has leukemia, and doctors say he has entered the final stage of his life".
Aron had one last wish: to see Dotan play.
After the concert, Karel writes that he asked security if his brother could get a meet and greet with the artist. He writes that it turns out impossible to get through the crowd of thousands of people trying to get an autograph.

"Half an hour later someone knocks on the window of my car. It's Dotan. He says security told him about my little brother's last wish, and says he would really like to meet and greet with him".
Karel writes the Dotan even recorded a personal message and sent that to them afterwards.

Karel has no words to describe what "a fantastic person and shining example Dotan is".
"My little brother Aron is happier than ever and even decided to fight for his life again".

The story goes viral on Dutch social media, and 3 glossy magazines even cover the story. The ZIggo Dome concert hall says people should bow humbly before this great artist.

Except...... Karel Leegwater doesn't exist, nor does his little brother.
Turns out it was a fake account made by Dotan's producers, and a fake story, just to make people hype Dotan.
Turns out they, as well as Dotan himself, have been monitoring, altering, and faking every site that mentions Dotan, since at least 2012 and creating hundreds of fake accounts. They even got official warnings from wikipedia for removing factual information from the wiki site about Dotan, repeatedly.

Sometimes I think the world really needs the internet to... just go away. We're not ready for it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:08:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112900 on: April 14, 2018, 03:25:06 am »

But Dotan would never do something like that.

In fact, last year, he visited me personally at my home to give me a hug and tell me how much he appreciated having me as a fan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112901 on: April 14, 2018, 03:43:06 am »

grisha5
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112903 on: April 14, 2018, 10:46:35 am »

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 7525 7526 [7527] 7528 7529 ... 8169