Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7524 7525 [7526] 7527 7528 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9524721 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112875 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:33 am »

Ugh, tuna prices went up.  :(

djsys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112876 on: April 12, 2018, 01:44:40 pm »

I am sad because don't have enough money for a new computer.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #112877 on: April 12, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »

I am sad because don't have enough money
In a time before time, I had a name.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #112880 on: April 12, 2018, 02:45:26 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #112881 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »

Thanks for stopping potential pyramid.

I really appreciate your personal text variations TamerVirus.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112882 on: April 12, 2018, 03:20:28 pm »

Because it's FtP (making it unique within the genre) and not PtW like most games of that style.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112883 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:13 pm »

don't

Nobody even plays original Fortnite, everyone just plays the battle royale version. Meh.

I've just gone through a binge of Junji Ito short stories, but then the collection ran dry and I'm not really impressed by the storytelling enough to seek out another bundle of creepy shit. Also the power supply distributor hasn't gotten back to me with a payment option for the replacement adapter, so I'm still without a functioning computer until I send yet another reminder to them.

And, of course, mental state is still kinda deteriorating. As per usual.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #112884 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:53 pm »

FtP (making it unique within the genre)

Not anymore. CliffyB released a half-baked F2P Battle Royale game just this week
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112885 on: April 12, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »

Also SURVIVIO! :D

.io is probably the best thing to happen to games~

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #112886 on: April 12, 2018, 07:20:31 pm »

I ended up reading some stuff on time cube, it seemed like it was just some crack head writing about what he thought the world was. But as I learned what was actually was happening with the guy that made it, turns out it was a chris-chan situation.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #112887 on: April 13, 2018, 02:19:22 am »

I've come to the conclusion that I'd like an emotional excision or somesuch. This repeated tendency to get involuntarily fixated on someone when I'd much rather just mind my own business and then getting thrown into a (temporary, mild) depression when my unnecessary obsession isn't reciprocated is really irritating and severely impedes my progress in actually trying to accomplish the things I want to do in life. I'm barely capable of doing adulting stuff independently as it is without my dumbass brain throwing a hissy fit and super-gluing all my emotional energy to a lost cause for a minimum of 6 months because I'm denying genetic propagation instincts. It's an unnecessary feature that kills my productivity and clashes with my philosophical values to boot.

There is a slight upside in this iteration, that being I managed to figure out a way to drastically reduce the risk of emotional repression, and judging by my analysis of my emotional arc this time around as opposed to the previous occurrence, also dramatically decrease the time elapsed until this episode is over with (turns out telling the person about your feels helps resolve them, who'd have fucking thought), but it still doesn't address the root problem that keeps these episodes of obsession recurring. Last time I had a mere two months of reprieve, and technically another month while this latest infatuation incubated within my mind but wasn't developed enough yet to significantly impact my reasoning or general thought patterns. Even going with my most optimistic predictions, where this cycle concludes a few weeks from now - unlikely - bringing the total duration to 6 months, 1/4 that of last time, and the period where my mind is unafflicted is similarly multiplied by 4, which I'd prefer not to expect since it seems to be dependent as much on random chance as it is on my emotional availability, that's still only 8 months at absolute max - going by the established trends I'd call 2 months if I'm lucky. That admittedly is far better prospects than I was looking at a few years ago; back then I wasn't even sure if the affliction I had at the time would even end at any observable point in the future. But just because I've reached a point where I can semi-reliably chart the course of my emotional attachments doesn't mean I want to stop there - my real goal of preventing the obsessive attachments from forming in the first place is still out of reach.

Doesn't help that I can't really discuss this with anyone I know IRL because it'd make me sound legitimately insane, and because every one of them has views on the matter that contradict with mine. I'm now capable of expressing my feelings for someone, but not (as a close friend believes) for the purpose of actually trying to get reciprocation, but because I understand that being open about them is a more efficient way to resolve them and avoid the trauma my previous method inflicted on myself. But on the rare occasions I've brought up to people the prospect that I'd be much happier if I could excise my capability of being romantically attracted, I get looked at like I'm malfunctioning, and they insist on trying to convince me otherwise with arguments that inevitably boil down to something along the lines of 'love is good because it feels good'. No one ever seems to consider the prospect that just because something feels good doesn't mean it is inherently good. But no, I'm the weird one for wanting to remove my capacity for attraction and not have to be bothered with my brain periodically trying to force the issue by dousing me with enough dopamine and oxytocin that I temporarily lose the capacity to formulate these thoughts.

Bah, I'll figure it out eventually. I just have to work out how to do it without completely severing my empathy in the process.

If anyone's actually read this whole thing then you've my applause, whoever you are - trying to piece coherence out of that tangled mess of a post isn't a chore I'd envy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112888 on: April 13, 2018, 04:11:14 am »

The thing is, that kind of procedure isn't possible. And even if we could isolate the emotional centers of the brain and switch them off without damaging anything else, it would still turn you into an invalid. We simply have to live with it, and find ways of dealing with the effects.

Most people will go through a period of severe instability once the romantic center starts kicking in, resulting in the mess that is high school relationships. However, with time and practice/experience, the surges get more dulled and manageable. But that's the norm, and there are of course some outliers.

If possible, you should really be open to letting someone reciprocate the feelings, as the experience of fulfilling the infatuation can do a lot of good, including potentially reducing the severity of later obsessions. Of course, relationships have their own kettle of fish to deal with, but that's a useful learning experience too, heh.

You might want to look at some of the research (such as Dorothy Tennov's work) on limerence for some more reading. There may not be many answers to be found there, but it's certainly interesting.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112889 on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:22 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:33:44 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 7524 7525 [7526] 7527 7528 ... 8169