Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7506 7507 [7508] 7509 7510 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510407 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112605 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:02 am »

Sitophilus oryzae.

That's the name of the insects that were on the last package of rice we had, or at least that's what I think it was. The wife and I eat it anyway because... well, there's not much options anyway. Yeah, we have pasta but we couldn't bear ourselves to ditch a whole kg of rice, despite the package saying it expired on 2016.

She tried to separate the larva and adults scarabs from the rice but it was a fool's errand to try. The rice was well done and very tasty, I think it was safe enough to eat it.

Hahah this seems like a entry from a post apocalyptic diary of sorts.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112606 on: March 12, 2018, 11:30:21 am »

I can't vouch for the nutrition specifics of that species, but generally, insects are high in protien and are delicasies in many parts of the world. It's just that us westerners are grossed out by them. So, you guys houldn't have tried as it'd be helpful in your situation.

Also, I thought you were trying to get your family out of there LordBaal?

A correction on talking about scarabs, the species are weevils and while scarab beetles and weevils are in the same order, they're in different infraorders.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:37:18 am by smjjames »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112607 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:07 am »

The gummit won't allow me to get my son's passport. I'm not going anywhere without him or my wife.

I mean, we are in the process of getting his passport but the government puts every effort it can to make us give up, we wont. We got the appointment to get his data in the system more than a month ago, after that it was supposed to start being processed and allow for the extra payment to actually getting it done three days tops. That lasted more than a month and it still doesn't let me pay the extra fee for the "express" printing.

That fee is not strictly necessary, but it cuts down the time to get a passport from "years or never" to "only a few months".

Meanwhile I'm saving everything I can to buy dollars on the black market and selling everything we can do without so we can save enough for our tickets.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:14:33 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112608 on: March 12, 2018, 03:44:26 pm »

Damn. :(

Just, I hope you guys make it out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:46:57 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112609 on: March 12, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »

Sitophilus oryzae.

That's the name of the insects that were on the last package of rice we had, or at least that's what I think it was. The wife and I eat it anyway because... well, there's not much options anyway. Yeah, we have pasta but we couldn't bear ourselves to ditch a whole kg of rice, despite the package saying it expired on 2016.

She tried to separate the larva and adults scarabs from the rice but it was a fool's errand to try. The rice was well done and very tasty, I think it was safe enough to eat it.

Hahah this seems like a entry from a post apocalyptic diary of sorts.
So, fun fact: Those things are fucking impossible to get rid of, if they're anything like flour beetles.

If you can, clean out the cupboards, shove everything grain/sugar related into sealable boxes (as in 100% airtight ones. Small gaps let the fuckers in) separate from one another, and shove them all into a freezer for 3 days. Any that survive the 3 day starvation can't enter the boxes and will starve later. Any eggs, larvae and adults in the boxes will freeze to death over the three days. If anything gets infested, refreeze and make sure nothing gets out of it. It can take a good while before your cupboards are safe again.

That's clever AF.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112610 on: March 13, 2018, 12:57:36 am »

Speaking of food, my food supply has suddenly become very uncertain due to family issues.

So, unrelated question: if you have a set amount of calories over a set period of time (say, a week), is it better to eat all at once, or ration it? Or does it matter? Because I figure, in theory, if all is eaten at once (or at least more-or-less at once, not stuffing your stomach or whatever), it's the same number of calories as if you eat only a small amount every day (since presumably your body stores it, right?). But maybe there's some biological reason why eating every day, even if it's totally insufficient, is preferable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112611 on: March 13, 2018, 01:13:36 am »

First, it depends on the source of those calories.  I don't think your body stores energy from all types of food equally.  If your calories are all from fast-burn sources, you will definitely regret eating it all at once.

Second, your body's metabolism adjusts to activity levels, and food consumption trends.  If you stuff yourself, that doesn't help your body adjust metabolism to prepare for a period of starvation immediately after.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112612 on: March 13, 2018, 02:54:25 am »

Basically everything I see with any regularity seems to suggest more, smaller meals are going to be better for you, health wise. It's damn sure the recommendation for diabetics, and I think folks at likely risk of it, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112613 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:56 am »

A correction on talking about scarabs, the species are weevils and while scarab beetles and weevils are in the same order, they're in different infraorders.
Oh! My inner entomologist is blushing  :-[

Damn. :(

Just, I hope you guys make it out.
Thanks!

So, fun fact: Those things are fucking impossible to get rid of, if they're anything like flour beetles.

If you can, clean out the cupboards, shove everything grain/sugar related into sealable boxes (as in 100% airtight ones. Small gaps let the fuckers in) separate from one another, and shove them all into a freezer for 3 days. Any that survive the 3 day starvation can't enter the boxes and will starve later. Any eggs, larvae and adults in the boxes will freeze to death over the three days. If anything gets infested, refreeze and make sure nothing gets out of it. It can take a good while before your cupboards are safe again.
Thanks! I'll will try that.

Speaking of food, my food supply has suddenly become very uncertain due to family issues.

So, unrelated question: if you have a set amount of calories over a set period of time (say, a week), is it better to eat all at once, or ration it? Or does it matter? Because I figure, in theory, if all is eaten at once (or at least more-or-less at once, not stuffing your stomach or whatever), it's the same number of calories as if you eat only a small amount every day (since presumably your body stores it, right?). But maybe there's some biological reason why eating every day, even if it's totally insufficient, is preferable.
I think the best is to ration it. The body doesn't store the food with as much efficiency, i.e. it's  better to have 500 cal per day over the period of 4 days than eat up 2000 cal and then go 3 days without eating. I've come to learn it the hard way.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #112614 on: March 13, 2018, 10:25:57 am »

500 cal per day
Please don't starve. The average adult human needs at least 5 MJ (1200 kcal) per day just to stay alive. If there's any way you could possibly eat (and have your family eat) enough, you should take it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112615 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:46 am »

[...]
So, unrelated question: if you have a set amount of calories over a set period of time (say, a week), is it better to eat all at once, or ration it? Or does it matter? [...]
Yes it matters. To note something important--your stomach requires something in it to work on, otherwise it's going to be grinding its muscles against nothing. Even something to be taken in in tiny amounts is better than lumping everything in on one occasion.

Really hoping humane civil rights bills don't die in the Senate like this one, despite all that has happened and the loud vocal 'religious arguments' (nevermind 'separation of church and state' and logic to the meaning of what statements are said) that are blatantly being thrown around in my country.

Really hoping that things like these actually get passed despite the incredulous freedom of discrimination that's being biased around and thought of as normal and righteous.

The tension rises daily in this tiny context all because of closed-minded fundamentalism and superficial arguments.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112616 on: March 13, 2018, 12:04:41 pm »

Thanks SG, Frumple, Ball, IcyTea and Tiruin, it is greatly appreciated; I couldn't find answers online. Hopefully, the info won't be necessary, but it's nice to know what to do if it is.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112617 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:23 pm »

I can't stomach this kind of talk
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112618 on: March 13, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »

I can't stomach this kind of talk
Well, personally I'm hungry for more of it.
Cur! I'll make ye swallow yer words
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #112619 on: March 13, 2018, 04:33:33 pm »

Very interesting thread. Plenty of food for thought.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 7506 7507 [7508] 7509 7510 ... 8168