Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7482 7483 [7484] 7485 7486 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510531 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112245 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:20 pm »

Lead singer of The Cranberries is dead. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112246 on: January 15, 2018, 06:24:31 pm »

I miss her when she's gone.
Love, scriver~

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112247 on: January 15, 2018, 10:28:49 pm »

Nearly went insane before my final project. Just finished it, and now not only do I have a pretty unique project (did a game instead of a basic app) but I have a rough idea what my game will look like
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112248 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:40 am »

Nearly went insane before my final project. 
highmax28 interrupted task: went insane
highmax28 has gone stark raving mad!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112249 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:58 pm »

I mean obviously he managed to acrue the correct materials BEFORE that point.

Sounds like it was close, though. You weren't one of those fuckers that needed a *specific* type of wool, were you?

I'd have sealed you up first thing. Ingrate...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112250 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:23 pm »

Co-worker who I liked working with got fired today for shitty reasons.  I'm pissed off, and in a spot where I could really easily get myself in trouble.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112251 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:54 pm »

If you have to voice your concerns, always make sure to have a paper/digital trail of all your relevant conversations in work matters in order to armour yourself against unfair dismissals

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #112252 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »

That assumes the company isn't in full "frame everybody competent and fire them" mode. I've seen a few such situations.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112253 on: January 16, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »

Problem is she did one stupid thing in the past that made her unpopular with the rest of management.  So I don't think anyone is going to care that the firing was wrong.  I'm not going to bother with any protest on that basis, and will avoid the subject entirely. 

I will point out the negative effect it's going to have on the workplace.  There's going to be some serious work problems as a result of this.  One of those being that the person who was fired and her boss who did the firing comprise our office's entire compliance department.  The person who got fired was really easy to work with and got shit done.  Now that department is reduced to just her boss - who doesn't ever do actual work unless it involves the potential to punish someone, and nobody in the office wants to interact with her.  She doesn't even answer simple questions.  She will literally spend 10 minutes interrogating you about whether you did every possible thing you could have done to figure out the answer yourself before spending 10 seconds answering the question.  So basically we have no functioning compliance department now.  Instead of asking questions, people are just going to do whatever they think will work.  This will cause issues, and people will ignore or sweep issues under the rug instead of bringing them to her.  Myself included.  I was already fed up with this person, but this puts me at a point where I'll find it difficult to even speak to her.  I can't work with her.  She's basically a combination between Bill Lumbergh and Professor Umbridge.  And now beyond just being excrutiatingly difficult to work with, I find her an objectively terrible person for firing a single mother for the purpose of clearing a minor technical obstacle to her career aspirations.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112254 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:29 pm »

Is this the same boss who was trying to take someone (I forget who, though I think it was you salmongod. it was posted on the WTF thread or the terrified thread) out on a date? Yike.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112255 on: January 16, 2018, 09:44:03 pm »

No, I don't think I've ever reported a boss trying to take an employee on a date.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112256 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:59 pm »

I know I read it somewhere, can't find it right now anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112257 on: January 16, 2018, 09:51:50 pm »

That was Pisskop, I believe. Don't think I've heard from him recently, either, come to think of it... perhaps she went full praying mantis on the first date? D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112258 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:42 pm »

Either way, still sounds like a horrible boss. I don't suppose there are any higher ups or an HR department at your place that you can talk to?

Out of curiosity, what is your workplace or what do they do?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112259 on: January 16, 2018, 10:23:04 pm »

I work for an international freight forwarder.  The person I'm ranting about is the Compliance Manager for our office.  Something like a legal department - controlling legal interactions and oversight of our compliance with U.S. Customs regulations regarding our imports and exports.  She was the boss of only one person, who she just fired.  I think the real reason she fired her is because she was promoted to Regional Compliance Manager, mainly by taking credit for something I did.  But there hasn't been anyone to take over as Compliance Manager for our office.  So she's supposedly acting in both roles.  I say supposedly, because she hardly did anything before she was promoted, and next to nothing since.  For example, providing training on compliance issues is supposed to be her job, and she's only ever held training on two narrow topics.  I've done more training than she has.

When she was promoted, she started encouraging her assistant to take her position so she could fully move on.  That position requires a broker's license, which requires passing a very difficult test (pass rate runs between 3-11%).  She took the test once and failed it.  Not too badly as I recall.  But afterwards decided that getting a broker's license and taking on that position wasn't something she wanted to do.  As soon as she announced this, her boss's attitude towards her pulled a 180, and she started getting written up for every single mistake she ever made on the job - up to getting fired today.  Presumably, the firing is to clear space to bring someone in who will help her move on in her career, which is quite obviously the only thing she cares about.

What really sucks is I'm now the manager of the team that handles all import customs clearance.  So I have to work closely with our compliance department, and they have a lot of power over me and my team.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:25:05 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 7482 7483 [7484] 7485 7486 ... 8168