Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7480 7481 [7482] 7483 7484 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510667 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112215 on: January 09, 2018, 03:16:14 pm »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112216 on: January 09, 2018, 03:21:10 pm »

Snip

Why can't you find a better job?

How do you think I ended up here?  No one is hiring someone with barely any relevant experience and no friends.  College only gave me debt, because everyone has a degree.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112217 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:16 pm »

Which do you live? What were you studying? What are you working in? It seems to be a store.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112218 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »

Which do you live? What were you studying? What are you working in? It seems to be a store.

I live in Northern VA and studied economics (which just gave me debt and cynicism).  I work in a farming supply store but its just like any other large retail where you are just expendable and easy to exploit.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #112219 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »

This seems quite small compared to what other posters here have to deal with, but...

Markus Persson, AKA Notch, the creator of Minecraft, had, before making his most famous game, made a few games for the Ludum Dare game jam. The ones I remember best are Minicraft, Breaking The Tower, and The Europa Arcology Incident.

When I was much younger, I enjoyed these games immensely. I'm not sure I can quite put it into words why, but I'll try...
Minicraft was all the joys of Minecraft but in a simpler package. The fact that there was a genuine, direct goal to work towards helped as well.
Breaking The Tower was one of the few RTS games I've really enjoyed, probably 'cause it was relatively hands-off.
The Europa Arcology Incident was pretty much one of the very first rogue-like games I ever played, and though I'd lose all the time, I'd still have a lot of fun. Which is kind of what this forum is known for, really.

I can no longer find these games on the original source. Clicking the links on the Ludum Dare page for these games will bring up Mojang's 404 message.

Attempting to open up the Internet Archive to search for a version that had the game on it didn't work either: The page would load, but the game would not.

Some people out there on the internet preserved Minicraft and Breaking The Tower, thankfully.

I still can't find The Europa Arcology Incident anywhere, though.

And, well... That just makes being hit with nostalgia all that much worse, really.

Also makes me feel quite existential, in that "will my accomplishments ever have any meaning, and if not, why even bother trying" sort of way.

Like I alluded to at the very beginning of my post, there are much worse things happening to posters on this very forum, but it still bothers me. And that's what this thread is for, right?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112220 on: January 09, 2018, 07:01:28 pm »

I live in Northern VA and studied economics (which just gave me debt and cynicism).  I work in a farming supply store but its just like any other large retail where you are just expendable and easy to exploit.
I work at Walmart and I share your pain.

I would refrain from mentioning the benefits thing only to see if you can get it without mentioning it. I know, at least in Canada, that if you work 40 hour weeks for so many times in a row, they HAVE to give you benefits, even if they later reduce it. They keep screwing me out of that because the guy who makes schedules wants me in as often as he can because of how good I am as a worker, but I'll get like 36-44 hours for a week or two, then a week with only 12-15 hours and then another big one.

As for customers, all I can really give for advice is don't be afraid to go into the back room and do down thing off the floor if you can to keep away from them for a time. I do it working in produce by putting stuff away/trimming product, but I'm sure there's stuff for you to do. If not, take a "bathroom break". I found that taking stupidity in moderation is always better than getting four customers asking you for everything.

@AzyWng look for a site called AbandonWare. I know it's mostly older games, but you might find it there

@LordBaal I appreciate you taking time to say that. Feeling a bit better from my depression spell after a thing I was bashing my head against my keyboard over got fixed after talking with my teacher and venting on here/to a friend over what I said earlier. I do have a fear of women, and my experiences haven't really helped it at all, but hopefully, it's just poor luck
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112221 on: January 09, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »

And, well... That just makes being hit with nostalgia all that much worse, really.
That's how I feel about the Big Al game that BBC made at some point about a famous Allosaurus who also had a movie

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112222 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:47 pm »

The wonderful vegan bakery in the suburb next to mine is apparently closed until the 22nd for some unknown reason. I got $4 out in cash and went two stops in the opposite direction on my way to work just to grab some breakfast from there, only to be greeted by a sign on the door announcing that.

If there were any other such businesses around I would probably rant and rave and consider starting to shop there instead, but... there isn't. I even gave back a dollar once when they gave me too much change, is this how they repay my loyalty?!

Now it looks like I'll have to settle for Mcdonalds fries after I get off the bus later. Need to have something for breakfast before work, otherwise I start feeling very scattered as the wait for my morning tea break drags on... and then I usually wolf down both of my sandwiches at once and have no food left for lunch proper.

Well, my day is already ruined.
Also, haven't been able to do my usual exercise lately, for various reasons I shan't bore you with. Going to make up for that this evening, since our house inspection will be over and I'll be able to cook a hearty meal without having to immediately re-wash and put away everything I use.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112223 on: January 10, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »

is this how they repay my loyalty?!

I hope you're kidding because this sounds way bitchy and entitled.

There's a thing called "going on holiday". People who run bakeries get to work at 4am every day, work 12 hour days in a sweatbox, probably 7 days a week. if you're the owner, head baker and manager, then finding someone who is capable of doing your whole job, but is available 2 days every week is stupid. Such a person doesn't exist.

It's actually much more efficient to take a whole month off once a year, and bakeries do lots of business around Christmas, so naturally, they take their vacation in January.

gtfo complaining when they need a break.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:25:16 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112224 on: January 10, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »

Come on, if they wanted holidays they should have become... I donno, scat performance artists, or itinerant bycicle fixers, not bakers.

Give Yoink his vegan cakes! Give Yoink his vegan cakes NOW!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112225 on: January 10, 2018, 05:56:52 pm »

I even gave back a dollar once when they gave me too much change,

Wait. Is not stealing from people a commendable thing now? :(
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112226 on: January 10, 2018, 06:02:11 pm »

Happier would you be if not stealing a commendable thing wasn´t, hmmm?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112227 on: January 10, 2018, 07:14:49 pm »

‘T ain’t stealing if they give it to you, bro.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112228 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:53 pm »

is this how they repay my loyalty?!

I hope you're kidding because this sounds way bitchy and entitled.
I'm a little upset that you thought that was possibly a serious complaint.
Perhaps it would have been nice if they'd updated their social media with warning of this unexpectedly lengthy holiday break, but for all I know they did and I missed it - my Facebook newsfeed is usually quite flooded with stupid memes these days, after all.

Considering I only noticed after I'd left, made the effort to go back despite being in a hurry, and had to overcome social anxiety in order to barge in with a quick explanation before returning the coin... I guess so?

Most people seem to be quite happy with pocketing excess change. It's like a reverse tip. :P Hell, I probably would if it wasn't a business that I was fond of and wished the very best.

...Annnyway, my day has continued on with its trend of being fairly shit, but there have been good bits as well. Almost halfway through (not really) and now I finally have a coffee. Things are looking up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112229 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:52 am »

@Yoink  most businesses have a sign that tells you before they leave it, otherwise they'll tell customers.

And not being rude, but you did nothing wrong, so why the anxiety? I'm actually curious about this...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 7480 7481 [7482] 7483 7484 ... 8168