Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7437 7438 [7439] 7440 7441 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9508119 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111570 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:03 am »

What, I can't even get an "I see what u did there" for that Legendary grade wordplay? You make me sad.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111571 on: September 07, 2017, 11:24:08 am »

*Presents scriver with a plaque saying "Congratulations, you managed to string together a sentence!"*

:P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111572 on: September 07, 2017, 11:28:31 am »

Nah, I'm actually just horrendous at maths.

Regardless, conceptually speaking, the idea of something which is nearly two is not in itself two.
Infinity goes on forever, as you know, and a repeating decimal like 1.999... is going to go on infinitely. It's not like 1.9 and 2, where you can add 0.1 to 1.9 and get 2. It's an infinite decimal, which means that there's no value, no matter how small that can be added to it to reach 2.

And because of that, because there exists zero space between 1.999... and 2, it can only be that 1.999+0=2. They're the same, and not only that, but this realization about the nature of infinity has...consequences.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111573 on: September 07, 2017, 11:29:21 am »

*Presents scriver with a plaque saying "Congratulations, you managed to string together a sentence!"*

:P

That just makes me think you didn't get it :(
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111574 on: September 07, 2017, 11:53:40 am »

Sure I got it. It was very punny. But, alas, still only a sentence.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111575 on: September 07, 2017, 12:05:24 pm »

The teams of Eindhoven and Delft universities might not be able to join the World Solar Challenge this year.

The batteries of their solar cars are stuck in Singapore, because airliners refuse to load them onboard, after (unrelated) accidents with batteries in planes.
The Delft team has already won the WSC 6 times. Looks like they won't be able to defend their title this year.

The Delft team is now trying to build a new battery in Australia, hoping to finish it before the race starts in late october.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111576 on: September 07, 2017, 03:12:24 pm »

Being old doesn't immediatedly make it valuable
To a lot of people, it does. Like, just the idea of owning something like that can be appealing. We're not talking something you'd sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars; more like 20 bucks tops at a gift shop.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111577 on: September 07, 2017, 04:55:48 pm »

The teams of Eindhoven and Delft universities might not be able to join the World Solar Challenge this year.

The batteries of their solar cars are stuck in Singapore, because airliners refuse to load them onboard, after (unrelated) accidents with batteries in planes.
The Delft team has already won the WSC 6 times. Looks like they won't be able to defend their title this year.

The Delft team is now trying to build a new battery in Australia, hoping to finish it before the race starts in late october.
That's unfortunate, though it is true that this type of battery is functionally a bomb without a detonator, particularly for use in a solar car.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111578 on: September 08, 2017, 07:01:25 pm »

I was already feeling horrible before today, but right now I'm almost confined to my bed because of my headache on top of my other numerous issues. I had so much I was supposed to do today, and I'm not going to be able to do any of it. And god the pain isn't going away...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111579 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:18 pm »

Dealing with a lot of people who won't have proper supplies for Irma because they thought that ordering one-day shipping on their packages meant they would arrive in the middle of a fucking hurricane.

Like families of people who deliver Amazon packages are somehow exempt from shit like "mandatory evacuations" or "the value of human life".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111580 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:12 pm »

Starting to wonder if Kendrick Lammar had a point about naming hurricanes things like Death Megatron 3000. Even directly telling people they'll die if they stay doesn't work.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111581 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »

Plenty of folks pretty literally can't leave, or would end up in an even worse situation if they tried. Then there's the crazies, but I honestly doubt that's even a plurality. Some will always end up staying, unless we start physically removing people who refuse or can't comply with evacuation orders... or find ways to make evacuation guaranteed if desired and free of individual charge for at least portions of the population, I guess.

Dunno if a different naming scheme would help any. Something like Death Megatron 3000 definitely wouldn't, though. Too likely to cause people to brush it off as exaggeration.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:10:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111582 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »

name them after various names of demonic entities

Hurricane Belial would be fairly kosher.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111584 on: September 10, 2017, 06:46:59 pm »

Been in the process of buying a house since late July.  Our original closing date was July 23, but it got severely delayed after the appraisal turned out $10k under the seller's price.  Everything had to be re-done after that, because of course a mortgage company won't agree to buy a house for more than it's worth.  We had to ask for a two week extension on the place we're currently renting while this got worked out, which the landlord wasn't happy about.

We were getting really close to a final closing.  Stupid crap with the mortgage company caused it to be repeatedly pushed back a day or two at a time over the last week.  We were supposed to have everything in place tomorrow and finally have our final for real closing date at the end of the week.  Coincidentally, our extension on rent also runs out this fucking Friday.

And today the sellers decide this is taking too long, back out, and put the house back on the market.

Not a happy day over here.

Now we have to beg the landlord to let us stay, start over completely from scratch on finding a new place, and we invested about $700 in appraisal and inspection on that place for nothing.

I hope a sinkhole swallows their stupid house.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:50:16 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7437 7438 [7439] 7440 7441 ... 8168