Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7387 7388 [7389] 7390 7391 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499165 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110820 on: May 19, 2017, 05:51:45 am »

By the way, something I'm interesting in knowing about, how do the veggies of bay12 feel about insects as a food source?
I'm a vegetarian out of taste/pleasure/habit, so I probably wouldn't go for it.

Do you know those crab chips Chinese places often have? Those are made from actual ground-up crabs, which should be fairly similar to being made from ground-up insects disgust-wise. I reckon if folks eat something like crab chips, you can get them to eat insects if you go about it the right way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110821 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:55 am »

If you can stand cooking with trassi (rotten (or sun fermented, if you insist on euphemisms) shrimp and krill paste), like half the world population does, ground up insects should be no problem.
I'd try insects, no problem. If only they were affordable. The supermarkets expirimenting with them over here have them priced as luxury treats. Not gonna pay 6 or 7 euros for 100 grammes of beetle larvae.

Hint: don't sniff the trassi, just cook with it.
The wiki page on it is incomplete. It forgets to mention that (West-) african countries and former dutch caribbean and soutamerican colonies (Surinam) use it extensively as well, due to the Dutch introducing it to them from Indonesia. I don't think I'm far off when I said hat half the world eats it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_paste
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #110822 on: May 19, 2017, 09:20:56 am »

If you can stand cooking with trassi (rotten (or sun fermented, if you insist on euphemisms) shrimp and krill paste), like half the world population does, ground up insects should be no problem.
I'd try insects, no problem. If only they were affordable. The supermarkets expirimenting with them over here have them priced as luxury treats. Not gonna pay 6 or 7 euros for 100 grammes of beetle larvae.

The wiki page on it is incomplete. It forgets to mention that (West-) african countries and former dutch caribbean and soutamerican colonies (Surinam) use it extensively as well, due to the Dutch introducing it to them from Indonesia. I don't think I'm far off when I said hat half the world eats it.
Do you often cook with trassi?
Because even though I'm Dutch I've never even heard of the stuff before.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110823 on: May 19, 2017, 09:31:10 am »

Do you often cook with trassi?
Because even though I'm Dutch I've never even heard of the stuff before.
Trassi is used as a base ingredient in most dishes you can order in the Chinese, Indonesian, Surinam and Ghanean / Nigerian restaurants you can find in the Netherlands. You can find it in the Albert Heijn as well, although probably only the dried version. For wet trassi you most likely need to go to the nearest toko. Although I suppose that if you don't experiment with exotic cooking yourself, the name trassi might be unfamiliar. I have the benefit of having world travellers in the family. My great grandparents lived in the Indonesian colonies for some years, and my mother was born in the Dutch province of Surinam (as it was called back then, when it was still a colony), because my grandparents moved there to get away from holocaust memories after the war. My grandparents already knew trassi from their parents' time in Indonesia, and they found it extensively used in Surinam cooking as well (which makes sense, since a Surinam has a large Indonesian minority, imported there by the Dutch colonial regime).
If you have to compare it to something Dutch, you could say it's to the Asian kitchen like 'bouillon blokjes' are to the Dutch kitchen (or 'een scheutje Maggi').

EDIT: anyhow the point I was trying to make is that trassi really, really smells disgusting. You want to cook with it, but you most certainly don't want it anywhere near your nose in it's pure form, or you will be 100x as disgusted as you will be by the thought of eating a crispy crawler, even if you didn't know it's made from rotten shrimps and other sea bugs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:45:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110824 on: May 19, 2017, 10:02:59 am »

So one guy, we started him on treatment, was responding fine. But now he's dying of an unrelated preexisting condition. I dont think there is anything I could have done differently. In fact, strictly speaking my treatment was successful, very successful. But I am quite bilious because I cannot shake the feeling of failure.
I'm very bitter about this shit right now, even though I shouldn't be
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:04:43 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110825 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:32 am »

Is it any different than if you treated him, he walked out of the hospital, and then got run over by a car? Would you feel responsible in that case?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110826 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:34 am »

Would probably be somewhat bitter, but less so.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #110827 on: May 20, 2017, 12:13:34 am »

Been putting off registering for the last class I need to graduate college. Realized that if I don't sign up soon the class could be filled. Upon trying to register I've found there's some kind of "hold" preventing me from registering until I see a college advisor. The advising is closed tomorrow. There's 10 seats left in the one class I need to graduate.

I am now freaking out at midnight over how I may not be able to get this last class I need for ANOTHER semester because I am so STUPID as to procrastinate on something so important and so simple as registering for a class.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110828 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:56 am »

So it seems like there's a renewed crackdown on piracy going on.  Torrent sites are dropping left and right.  A founder of Piratebay recently gave an interview where he firmly stated the open internet is a lost cause.  And I'm seeing first-hand evidence that they're going after individual users again, instead of just distributors -- harking back to the early 2000's days of the battle over file sharing.

I'm seriously considering boycotting major publishers right now.  I almost do already when it comes to games, because their content just sucks worse all the time.  But I'm talking everything else, too.

It's getting to the point where I want to just go somewhere prominent and set myself on fire.

All I do is work.  I give up sleep to have any free time.  It's always been like this, but it used to be because I was going to school and working.  Now it's because work just gets more and more ridiculous.  Supply chain operations are increasingly 24/7 in nature, and increasingly unpredictable and volatile due to cost cutting measures.  But the various providers involved don't hire the people needed to operate 24/7, because the stuff that happens outside of business hours, while frequent, is sporadic and not enough to keep someone busy for a whole shift.  God for-fucking-bid that someone get paid to cover time where there's no consistent supply of urgent demand.  And because hiring people simply isn't compatible with the corporate goal of posting higher profits every quarter.  Throw in executives demanding consistently higher performance on delusional KPI's with head-rolling ultimatums, and new projects and reports to make their lives more convenient at the expense of everyone else.

I've heard people accuse me of bragging when I mention how much I make (a bit above the national average household income), yet my wife talks more and more about using suicide to take her debt away from the family.  We both avoid getting anything but essential medical care.  We're no longer qualified for full Medicaid for our kids, and we're terrified of how this is going to play out for our diabetic kid, when costs for his supplies are skyrocketing right now.  And I suck as a parent anymore.  I'm too exhausted all the time anymore to show them any good nature, and it's near impossible for me to be engaged in their education.

We're not the best with money, but we're not exactly living extravagantly, either.  I saved for 2 years to buy something nice that's only 1.2% of my yearly income, and a good chunk of it was bought with gift cards.  I spend an average of $100 a year on games for myself and see a handful of movies.  I'll go to a concert once every couple years.  But according to older or richer people, this kind of thing is proof that I'm just part of a spoiled, entitled generation.  I'm supposed to pinch every penny and live the most horribly miserable slave life imaginable until I retire.

Fuck that shit.  I hate this country.  I'm sick of everything being judged on profitability, and our cultural obsession with wealth worship.  I want the whole business world burned to the ground.  The only optimistic thought I have for the future is that the post-apocalypse produces something better.

Before anyone worries - No, I'm not going to do anything rash.  Just venting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:07:25 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110829 on: May 21, 2017, 12:27:25 am »

*hugs SalmonGod*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #110830 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:50 am »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110831 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:02 am »

Amen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #110832 on: May 21, 2017, 04:00:47 pm »

@Spehss
Worst case scenario show up the first day with an override form for the professor to sign. Almost all college classes "fill up" well before the rooms hit the maximum fire code limit; I've almost never had a college class where there wasn't at least one person who was getting an override into the class on the first day.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110833 on: May 21, 2017, 04:51:36 pm »

Amen.

Hear fucking hear.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110834 on: May 21, 2017, 05:36:16 pm »

Our debts are laid upon us at birth. Rulers or subjects, we are all prisoners of the great wheel. Escape is the fancy of a child, freedom, the cruelest illusion.
Pages: 1 ... 7387 7388 [7389] 7390 7391 ... 8168