Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7386 7387 [7388] 7389 7390 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499518 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110805 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:40 pm »

There have been finds of butchered animal bones that are strongly linked to Australopithecus, while it is all but certain that many of the tools linked to Homo Habilis were designed exclusively for butchering carrion (relatively few hunting weapons have been recovered, which suggests that H. Habilis was primarily a scavenger). In other words, the earliest creatures we can definitively trace the evolution of Man through were meat eaters, let alone neanderthalensis or Sapiens.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110806 on: May 18, 2017, 09:43:13 pm »

Grew out of it over a turkey sandwich, which is hilarious in hindsight because I'm very definitely allergic to chicken and turkey now.

That must have been one hell of a turkey sandwich.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #110807 on: May 18, 2017, 09:51:04 pm »

Guys, you're all clearly ignoring important points, like Meat == Delicious. Why can't arguments think about the important issues?
Try looking at the number of fucking health issues caused by consuming meat sometime, might inspire you to pull your head out of your arse.   
Although it probably won't... if you need medical reasons to convince you that consuming meat is a bad thing to begin with, it's probably wedged pretty firmly up there. :)   
You remind me of a pamphlet vegans gave me once.

It had a list of celebrity backers. One of whom was totally sold on Veganism, another was Bill Clinton who explicitly described it as being required due to some heart condition, and the last was some entitled celebrity singer or whatever who said something like "I get that meat is bad. If you choose to allow yourself to realize this, you'll get it too."

Apparently, I didn't choose to allow myself to realize this since it didn't sell me on veganism.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110808 on: May 18, 2017, 09:53:40 pm »

Dudes, bit of a de-rail, perhaps you should take it elsewhere?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110809 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:06 pm »

I'm still sad that I randomly developed an allergy to clams and oysters.  (Bizarrely and thankfully, somehow not shrimp??)

To the point that I avoided them entirely for 4-5 years, then tried some clam chowder after the November elections.  Tasted great, violent sickness for hours ):

Hell additional sad, my dad kept sneaking various shellfish into my food because he had this idea I wasn't actually allergic, and it was just psychosomatic.  Or towards the end, some weird parasite that happened to be in all these extremely processed canned foods.  So I kept dealing with hours of dry heaving.

Saddest part, that makes me miss my dad a bit.  Not that he's gone, I just got this crazy idea that maybe it wasn't a healthy situation.
He really cares, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110810 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:49 pm »

I dunno about the lot of them, but I don't think they are trying to argue that Humans Naturally Eat Meat Therefore You're Wrong To Not

Just that you're, like, incorrect about a factual statement about human biology. There are plenty of arguments for vegetarianism and against eating meat that you don't need to delve into outright incorrect statements; Hell, if you want more people forgoing meat, you should stay away from saying that. They'll see you're wrong about that one thing, think you're probably wrong about the rest of it too, and ignore ya.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:30:40 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110811 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:29 pm »

Can we go back to the discussion on making human skin and cow meat from spinach?
I want to become a pod-person already and eat pod-meat so that I can see how many people I offend.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110812 on: May 19, 2017, 01:45:10 am »

Grasshopper, where do you think the B12 from B12 supplements comes from?

Btw: I've refrained from pointing this out with my vegan cousin because she follows weird enough diets by default anyway. I dont want her to stop taking the supplements and run into deficiency
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110813 on: May 19, 2017, 02:46:41 am »

Try looking at the number of fucking health issues caused by consuming meat sometime, might inspire you to pull your head out of your arse.   
Although it probably won't... if you need medical reasons to convince you that consuming meat is a bad thing to begin with, it's probably wedged pretty firmly up there. :)   

Well there was a big study of cancer and less meat wasn't always associated with less of that.

Here's the guardian's headline. Note that the fine-print tells a different story to the headline:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jul/01/vegetarians-blood-cancer-diet-risk
"Headline: Vegetarians less likely to develop cancer than meat eaters, says study "

Today's findings were based on a study of 61,566 people who scientists followed over 12 years. During this time, it was found that 6.8% of meat eaters (2,204 of 32,403), 4.0% of vegetarians (829 of 20,601) and 3.7% of people who ate fish but no meat (317 of 8,562) were diagnosed with cancer.

They declined to mention that eating fish lowers the chance even more.

LA Time at least put the important  facts in the headline
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-vegetarian-diet-fish-colorectal-cancer-20150309-story.html
Headline: Vegetarians who ate fish had lowest colorectal cancer risk, study says

By far, the lowest incidence of colorectal cancers was seen in pesco-vegetarians, people who eat fish at least once a month but eschew all other types of meat. Compared to omnivores, pesco-vegetarians were 43% less likely to be diagnosed with these cancers during the course of the study.

Lacto-ovo vegetarians (who eat eggs and dairy foods but not fish or other meats) came in second, with an 18% reduced incidence of colorectal cancer. They were followed closely by vegans (who don’t eat eggs, dairy products or any kind of meat), who were 16% less likely to get a colorectal cancer diagnosis.

LA Times therefore reported which diets were the safest instead of trying to score points for their favorite diet as Guardian's headline did, in a highly misleading way. If you eat meat in the form of fish, you're massively less likely to get bowel cancer than vegetarians, and if you add eggs and dairy, you're safer than a pure vegan.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vegetarian-diet-linked-to-lower-colon-cancer-risk-201503117785
Those who ate a vegetarian diet had a 22% lower risk of colorectal cancer than those who weren’t vegetarians. Among those who ate a vegetarian diet that included fish, the reduction in risk was even greater — 43%.

In other words, getting rid of meat cuts your risk by 20%, while changing to other types of meat reduces your risk by 40%. By being adamant in pushing a specific diet, rather than highlighting the one that had the best data supporting it, the Guardian is implicit in dooming a ton more people to disease than is absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:47:08 am by Reelya »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #110814 on: May 19, 2017, 03:15:41 am »

I just wish people wouldn't be so judgemental about what other people choose to eat.

Spoiler: pointed (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110815 on: May 19, 2017, 04:08:11 am »

I don't eat meat because I wasn't raised eating it and therefore find it digusting.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110816 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:06 am »

We're going to surreptitiously insert trace amounts of meat into your food, and increase that over time. Before you know it you'll wonder how you lived without it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #110817 on: May 19, 2017, 05:02:03 am »

As far as I know the people who live the longest are peoples who generally consume mainly seafood, both plant life, fish, and shellfish. I also remember how studies of Swedish health history have found that in times of poor economy when livestock food isn't as available there's noticeable declines in things like heart diseases and such, an explanation for which might be that during such times Swedes switched to eating more of the cheaper meats, like fish and other seafood. When the bad periods ended and people started eating lots of beef and pork again, the disease rates rose again.

By the way, something I'm interesting in knowing about, how do the veggies of bay12 feel about insects as a food source?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110818 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:36 am »

The last oldest lady in the world that died age 123 last month, never ate anything but eggs, and cookies. No seafood.

Not to say that eating some seafood every once in a while isn't healthy. Too much though definitly is not healthy, you will accumulate too high a dose of heavy metals and other toxins.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #110819 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:42 am »

Yeah the incident of one person is pretty much statistically insignificant when compared to averages of populations.

Those heavy metals are also not generally naturally occurring in such large amounts but is a result of human pollution of the seas.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7386 7387 [7388] 7389 7390 ... 8168