Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7384 7385 [7386] 7387 7388 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499850 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110775 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:04 am »

...Also, consider getting a skillet or whatever, and telling your roommate that if he has to cook meat, to do so in just that one, so as not to contaminate the other cooking ware for everyone else.
I've had my vegetarian period. It lasted about 7 years. But not once would the thought have come up in my mind to ask meat eating people to cook in other pottery than I do. I mean, what are dishwashers for?
I have trouble taking vegetarians who demand such silly things seriously.

EDIT: in other sad news, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave) died unexpectedly at age 52. Cause of death as of yet unknown. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:32:36 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110776 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:34 am »

I'm starting to feel like the person I've described myself as just doesn't exist, like I've been playing the character called (real name goes here) and one day recently lost the script. I feel nothing in common with myself from as little as a month ago, when I was writing scholarship essays about all I wanted to do in life. If everything burned to the ground tomorrow-family, friends, work, school, all of it-what remains of me without those? I don't know why I feel like this but it's really bothering me.

Perhaps you are coming to the realization that what defines the "you-ness" of yourself, is not external things?  I came to that realization AAAGGES ago, but then again, I have lived a life fraught with intense adversity and personal hardship. (You kinda either learn that lesson, or go insane under such conditions.)

What I mean to say, is that your family is a part of you, but they do NOT *Define* you-- if you get the drift.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110777 on: May 18, 2017, 04:28:41 am »

I'm not a gourmet chef, but I know I don't suck at it, and trust me, I used to suck at it. Learning to cook decently well makes your life way better. If you want me to give you any tips, I'll help best I can!
Thanks for the offer, and the advice you've given already!
I did end up going with the saucepan method earlier, and it actually turned out quite well. At first I was worried that it would burn or cook unevenly, but I turned the heat down and cooked it a little longer whilst preparing toast and coffee to go with it, and it all turned out fine. Maybe a tad bit more moist than I usually like my scrambled eggs, but not too noticeable.
Oh, and the pot was a little harder to clean than a frying pan, but that's a pretty minor gripe.   

Yes, I do need to practice my cooking more. I actually tend to enjoy it when I do cook something, it's just a matter of working up the motivation and not being put off by the idea of other people using the kitchen at the same time.

I've had my vegetarian period. It lasted about 7 years. But not once would the thought have come up in my mind to ask meat eating people to cook in other pottery than I do. I mean, what are dishwashers for?
I have trouble taking vegetarians who demand such silly things seriously.

EDIT: in other sad news, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave) died unexpectedly at age 52. Cause of death as of yet unknown. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg
Erm, as I mentioned, the guy didn't clean it. I wasn't complaining about the cookware being used to cook meat ever (although having my own cookware or living someplace where no meat was prepared would be really nice), I was complaining that the one frying pan was left out of action, full of meat juice. We don't have a dishwasher, either, and no way am I about to clean that stuff.

As for Chris Cornell, from what Soundgarden I've listened to he sure had an amazing voice. Sad. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110778 on: May 18, 2017, 05:49:43 am »

Sorry, I did indeed miss the part where the thing was left unwashed.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110779 on: May 18, 2017, 07:04:15 am »

*lights the Tiruin-signal for iinl*
*also hugs*

Also: scholarship essays are horrible creatures and not being really sure what you want to do in your life is perfectly okay.  Try things.  Find out what you enjoy, and do that.

Good luck.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110780 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:21 am »

Chris Cornell is dead :(

This one hits me harder than all of 2016.  I expected him to keep going for a long time yet.  He seemed like one of those near-ageless types.

Edit:

Ugh... just cried in the shower while singing along with Be Yourself.  I've been sorry to see some other public figures go, but this is the first to ever trigger genuine grieving.  Goddamn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC5FdFlUcl0
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:34:30 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110781 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:31 am »

I am not intending to be rude, but humans are anatomically omnivorous. We have meat teeth and veggie teeth for a reason. Why do you choose to be a vegetarian, Yoink? Again, not being rude, it's a curiosity to me.

Also... Eggs are chicken embryos. So what is the difference there?

I'll go ahead and make it clear again that I am only curious.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110782 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:54 am »

Personally, I can see the allure of vegetarianism. It's a sad thing to have to kill for sustenance.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110783 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:42 am »

The lenght of our intestines (about 7m) does suggest that we are mainly herbivorous though, with a later developed ability to supplement with meat. Real carnivores, and carnivores that have developed the ability to supplemtent their diet with plant matter, like bears, only have 2 meters (bear intestines are only slightly longer), because you want to get digesting meat out of your system as fast as possible to minimize the chance of infections and getting poisoned by spoiled meat.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110784 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:00 pm »

I am not intending to be rude, but humans are anatomically omnivorous. We have meat teeth and veggie teeth for a reason. Why do you choose to be a vegetarian, Yoink? Again, not being rude, it's a curiosity to me.

Also... Eggs are chicken embryos. So what is the difference there?

I'll go ahead and make it clear again that I am only curious.
Actually, since most of the eggs we eat are unfertilized, they're more like chicken periods. An embryo would imply that the egg could have hatched if treated appropriately.

Still, I get what you're saying.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110785 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:40 pm »

Tissue culture will eventually replace normal meat animal production.  Vat-grown muscle tissue will be cheaper to produce, because there is less overhead involved. Humans will complain that it does not taste the same or something, but that really wouldnt be supportable. (My guess is that blind taste tests will find no difference, but that people will not like the IDEA of cultured beef, rather than the TASTE or TEXTURE of cultured beef.)

When that day comes, vegans are either going to need to come down from the high horse (that guy eating the carne asada? Yeah-- it's cultured beef. Not murder. Stop bothering him.) or have less issue with meat as a food stuff (since no lives are lost to produce the meat).  Instead, they will have to focus on any campaigns advertisers and marketers would have for "REAL beef" (made from actual dead cows!). Harder, because it would not be reflexive "Eww! MEAT! EVIL!"-- it would be "Let me see the package--- EWW! Killing derived!" instead.

Industrially, there would be tremendous push to use the cultured meat, because of its reduced operational footprint requirements. (raw material, like yeast derived protein meal, water, and sugar go in one side of the vat processor, and "wriggly bits of cultured cow" come out the other. No field, not antibiotics, no veterinarians, no middle men.) this means that most processed meat products would contain either 100% cultured, or some vast proportion cultured meats, simply because of economics.  The technology would not require pseudo religious devotion and active preaching; the soulless machine of capitalism would latch on tightly all on its own.

I dont mind pragmatic vegetarians that just dislike that meat requires killing animals. I DO actively DISLIKE extreme veganism, where the notion takes on an offensive aire, and it becomes an identity and status symbol instead of actual individual moral scruples. The former would embrace cultured meat, and other alternative technologies for the production of that food stuff. The latter would rail against such developments, because it upsets their soapbox.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110786 on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:51 pm »

I dunno, a vegetarian eating eggs is no more weird than a vegetarian eating dairy. No animal was harmed killed in the production of it. It's not like the egg was gonna make a chicken, roosters need to be involved for that.

... Of course, if you're a vegetarian for ethical reasons, then it's a lot of work making sure what you're eating didn't come from one of those farms. Though, given Yoink is Australian, maybe their animal rights are a bit better than American ones.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110787 on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:51 pm »

I have no issues with culture meat. I see the benefits of it. As long as I can get a good steak once in awhile, I am happy. I don't dislike vegetarianism, I just am not willing to be vegetarian myself. The fulfilling of nutritional requirements interests me though. I know nuts and supplements fix most of the issues mind you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110788 on: May 18, 2017, 01:24:30 pm »

I can see a grimdark future where the only cultural enrichment in the world happens in the meat plants, and eating vatgrown human brains is a hipster trend.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:26:45 pm by martinuzz »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110789 on: May 18, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »

The only vat about the human brains I eat is the tax imposed on me for buying them.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7384 7385 [7386] 7387 7388 ... 8168